Constant nausea 24/7, gallbladder?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been feeling nauseous 24/7 for five months now. I have been to hospital, had blood tests, an endoscopy and they can’t find anything wrong. My doctor told me it’s anxiety and has put me on antidepressants but I’m not convinced as I don’t feel anxious. However, because I’ve been feeling so ill for so long, I have now got depression. I have read about people who get constant nausea from gallbladder problems and no pain? (I don’t have any pain) Could this be my problem? Also, my mum had her gallbladder out so maybe hereditary? Thanks

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rebel

I had 24/7 nausea pretty much as my very first issue and it continued the 2+ years it took to work out I had gallbladder issues and that was only discovered after I started getting crippling bouts of pain. So yes I had nausea approx 2 years before the pain arrived.

The anti sick pills I had from my doctor worked well though.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Snow. I have been on all kinds of antisickness meds and none work. I’m so sorry you suffered for so long. Did the nausea go when you had your gallbladder removed? And how did they find out it was your gallbladder? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just desperate. 
  • Posted

Have you had an ultrasound of your gallbladder to see if you have gallstones? I had really bad constant nausea but had a lot of pain as well xx
    • Posted

Scottie, I have had an unltasound and get the results back tomorrow. I’m not sure if gallstones would cause nausea with no pain, but I wonder if a low-functioning gallbladder can? Have you had your gallbladder removed? I’m not sure whether I’m completely barking up the wrong tree here
    • Posted

I had a low functioning gallbladder then when they removed it they found I had chronic cholecystitis. One of the surgeons kept saying he didn’t think it was my gallbladder causing the pain but I knew it was. I had almost constant pain and nausea by time it was removed. And no anti nausea medication touched the sick feeling xx
    • Posted

That sounds just like me, except I don’t have the pain. No one believes me because nausea is such a ‘bleh’ symptom. But I just generally feel ‘unwell’. If someone told me I had a diseased organ in me right now, I would not be surprised. I feel so so ill. 
    • Posted

That is exactly how i feel i even used those words with my doctor. They only found sludge in my gallbladder. They are not sure if that would make me that sick. Dis you have your gallbladder removed? Thanks for any help Im nauseous every other week.

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation. I've had nausea 24/7 for 14 months. I do have pains in my upper back and between my shoulder blades for 19 months, pain in my right ribs, bloating, light poo colour and dark urine for 12 months, just feel generally unwell and dizzy all the time for 40 weeks solid.

I had an ultrasound in April 2017 which was normal and had to fight and push for everything until i got another ultrsound end of November which spotted a thickened wall and shadow. Was referred to a surgeon (Which i waited 3 months for) who said he wanted an MRI/MRCP scan first which i waited 4 weeks then 5 weeks for the results which i got last week and everything is totally normal and was told to get some anti depressants from my GP, i could of punched him in the face! Yes i suffer from anxiety but never depression until all this started as i do now!!

Since i've been here i've met many people who've been in our situation and to be honest people only seem to get taken serious until they end up in hospital or keep turning up in A&E.

Oh and i've lost 8 stone. My advise, if you can afford it and your in the UK which i think you are reading between the lines, GO private! That's what the NHS want!!!

Sorry to put a downer on it. I'm such a placid person but not now due to all of this!

👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Posted

Yes, I’m exactly the same. I HAD THE NAUSEA BEFORE THE DEPRESSION. I’ve been to A&E multiple times but all you do is wait for 12 hours and they send you home. I was also admitted to hospital and that’s where they diagnosed anxiety and discharged me. I can’t stand it anymore. I honestly don’t know what to do. My family are all fed up and my friends are running quickly. I cry all the time because I’m so unwell and no one believes me. I’ve decided that if I need my gallbladder out, I’ll go private because my mum waited 8 months for hers to come out. I can’t stand this much longer. 

• Posted

Anxiety is an easy get out!! The NHS is on it's knee's. I developed a big hernia in my groin that hurts. When i met the surgeon in Feb he said they will do it, when i saw a different surgeon last week he said now they won't, WTF!!!

My Mum p##sed me off last week as she said to my Partner it must all be in my head.

I would have my gallbladder out via the NHS but get your diagnosis private otherwise you'll still be here next year. Hopefully your ultrasound will show something though👍

• Posted

My ultrasound was clear sad Got told yesterday it was psychosematic, so all in my head. I honestly don’t know what to do. I’ve cried all day. I am so so unwell and no one is listening to me. I’ll let you know how my gastroenterologist appointment goes tomorrow. I can’t eat anything without gagging. 
    • Posted

Who told you it was psychosematic? 

I know it won't help but your not alone. As i've said i'm going through exactly the same thing. 

• Posted

A member of the crisis team. I had to phone them yesterday as I was in meltdown and she told me I have ‘somatic symptom disorder’.  
  • Posted

Hi, I had bad nausea for about 4ish months after getting the stomach flu (lost about 10-15 pounds in two weeks because I was not eating anything to maintain weight because of how sick I felt). I had my first gallbladder attack March 18th and ended up in the hospital because the pain lasted over 10 hours and just built up to really bad abdominal pain, some shoulder and neck pain, and nausea. After that, I had an ultrasound, blood testing, and a urine sample to find out I have gallstones. I get nausea off and on now and attacks can happen whenever, even with my safe foods. I had no abdominal pain until my first attack so I know how you feel because it just made me feel like I got no answers because I had zero abdominal pain until my first attack. I've had both anxiety and depression before this happened but sometimes my health just makes it so much worse because I feel so lost. Hope you get some answers, keep us updated!

• Posted

Yeah, they’re not listening to me. Yesterday I got told it’s psychosematic, so all in my head. I can’t stand this anymore. All I do is cry about how ill I feel and how no one listens. I can’t eat anything without gagging. I can’t carry on living like this. Ultrasound came back clear and I’m seeing a gastroenterologist tomorrow. Hoping he finds something because I don’t know how to deal with psychosematic illness and I can’t live with it forever. 
    • Posted

What's tge plan of action for you Jamie? Are you waiting for surgery? Are you in the UK?

• Posted

I'm in the U.S. and I have the option of surgery because I wasn't having any pain (besides my first attack) when I first saw the surgeon so they decided to wait 3 months to see if I can go without the surgery. It's been almost 3 months (I see them next month) and some nights I get attacks from the foods I eat. My last one was two weeks ago. Still considering my options because I'm not sure what I want to do and I know some people end up feeling worse after GB surgery.

• Posted

Very true. I don’t believe it can be psychosomatic or anxiety. I had the symptoms months before I got anxiety and I only got that because they told me it was all in my head! Makes me feel like I’m going mad. All because they can’t find anything. I tell you, if they do find something and it is my gallbladder then I’m bloody sewing my GO who threatened to section me!
    • Posted

I think unless the GP has had gallbladder pain or a close relative has and they’ve been through it, then they really have no idea! I had one GP say I had a urine infection and ask when I was going back to work!! My reply was when I can actually move and breathe without being in agony then I’ll go back. I love my job so wasn’t like I was trying to skip it xx
    • Posted

Yeah, I love my job too but haven’t been able to go since January. I’ve just seen the gastroenterologist, she’s doing an endoscopy and testing for H. Pylori. When I asked about the gallbladder she said there was no test to test the function of it????!!! Seriously lost. Feel worse than ever and can’t eat now. 
    • Posted

The surgeon I saw said he thought it was a stomach ulcer. I laughed and said no chance as have had gastritis before and was a different pain. Only got the endoscopy to prove a point that it wasn’t. Yeah Gastro is clearly wrong as HIDA scan checks how well the gallbladder is functioning xx
    • Posted

Hmm, I’m thinking of going private to get a HIDA as an. I’m convinced it’s that or h. Pylori. H. Pylori fest should be back in a week so we’ll see. 
    • Posted

No test for gallbladder function, what a load of waffle! I asked for one last June and was refused, so here i am nearly a year later. I"m glad you've been tested for h pylori that's something i never got tested for. Out of interest how did they test for that, breathe test? I've also asked my GP so many times why i've never been asked for a stool or urine sample and get looked at like i'm an idiot. Still i know where he lives so might do one and shove it through his letter box!

I will also be suing the NHS. I should have gone back to work last year but i don't feel well enough.  So far they've taken 19months of ny life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.