Constant or comes and goes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

is your gallbladder constant or dose it cone and go? I read it can be both. I Tend to start with a dull ache and get waves of more intence pain. dose that sound like tour pain?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it starts as a dull ache then really bad left side pain under rib (tender to touch) and gradually moves down as if going along bowel. Last time I had it was bout 3 weeks ago n lasted a week, I felt better lying down rather than moving about. It just makes me feel generally ill.

• Posted

so it can last days then? not just hours? i have had the dull ache for about 3 days with the waves of more intense pain coming at diffrent times the past 3 days.

• Posted

it comes and goes, but can be constant for days

sometimes it lingers for a week or so like a tooth ache.

you need to be on a diet, no fast foods, fried,nuts or raw foods. eat fruits lightly, had to digest with bad gallbladder, puts pressure on gallbladder causing pain.

• Posted

I had gallstones diagnosed in September and after experiencing the horrendous initial gallstones pain I cut out fatty fried foods and anything with a high fat content and started drinking plenty of water. I have lost 2 and a half stone (which to be fair I needed to). Yet still I get this persistent pain.

• Posted

Most likely they need to remove it because it's not functioning.

I waited 5 years before removing it and suffering when I didn't have to..

After you remove it you need to be on a diet for the rest of your life .

don't wait too long my gallbladder was backing up like and I ended up getting cancer in the bile duct.

Bile duct cancer has a 5% percent survival rate.

• Posted

Yes I'm due to have it removed Feb/March. So are you ok now then?

• Posted

hi, yes it does come and go, especially when you eat any fatty food, also if you hav e sludge or small smalls they can waft and sometimes cause a blockage but you can go for periods when the bile flows ok.

maybe keep a diary, noting what foods u eat and what pain or symptoms you have.

My gallbladder behaved beautifully for weeks at a time but then I had months of misery!!

best of luck.

• Posted

It's a bit unusual to get pain under the left ribs because the gall bladder is under the right side under the lower rib cage. I felt a few twinges with flatulence and have stared to take a further course of Ursodioxycholic acid tablets which dissolved my gall stones over two years ago.

After 7 days the twinges have stopped and the flatulence also has stopped.

I will be seeing my GP for a general check in two weeks when I can discuss the situation with her.

Any patient must have a liver function test before and during the Ursodioxycholic treatment.

Why that is so may be that the Urso does not treat every individual the same. The treatment for me was excellent and my surgeon was pleased in that it avoided a gall bladder removal and worked in dissolving my gallstones almost. Over two years ago the last ultrasound of not too good a quality showed two existing. Largest was 10mm the other much smaller. Due to twinges under my right ribs lately I though it best to reuse the stock of Urso and it seems to have been beneficial already compared to when my gall bladder was swollen and inflamed and very symptomatic over two years ago.

It is noted that it may take a year to dissolve some patients gall stones which researchers state must be cholesterol based for the Urso to work..

• Posted

We are all different. When I had gallstones the pain came and went.

If you have gallbladder problems be careful what you eat. Nothing too fatty.

Sarah

• Posted

This is one of the symptoms which mimics IBS as IBS comes in waves until it will not go away. Gall Bladder is all to do with what you eat that upsets it. The other thing with Gall Bladder is ,if you eat on top of an attack. Usually the ache starts under right hand rib cage and then worsens to a peak as digestion goes on climaxing to throwing up or Diarrhea. So if you are unaware that it is Gall Bladder and keep eating on an attack this becomes pain and usually also upsetting other organs, such as feeling like your having a heart attack in the chest. I have had many a night sitting on the toilet with a flannel around the back of the neck to keep temp down, yet feeling like I was going to die, always a round 12 and 2 A.M in the morning. Being physically sick is great relief and actually helps because after being sick you do not want to eat, thus it will go away.

I do have to say it is far the worst illness I think there is, other than an actual heart attack.

It truly is tormenting......

• Posted

i was told in 2013 when i went to the ER that i had sludge. i changed my diet for a few months and everything seem to go away and i slowly went back to a reqular diet. Now the pain is back and i dient think it was gallbllader and have eaten on top of the pain not thinking. if i dont eat i just have the dull pain if i eat its the more intense pain that comes in waves until its almost unbarable.

• Posted

Yep that sounds just right. Sludge is the pre cursor to stones, the sludge holds all the things, chemicals to build stones which there are a few types. Sludge is worse than stones because this can enter the ducts and cause inflammation and sludge hides tiny stones the Ultrasound cannot pick up! If you have stones they usually block ducts but can also enter ducts but more likely not to. I have had my problem under control since June but have had a couple of minor attacks as I did not know what was in the food I was eating, information wise.

I have heard that the NHS are going to trial the Gall Bladder / Liver flush which saves on extraction? I have read the book and depending what the Hospital says when I see them in January, I intend to do myself anyway but I want answers from them before I do it. It is not a nice flush to do on your own but it seems to produce results so it would be great to have the NHS behind you, the fact you can do it in your own home is beneficial. It is recommended that an enema is done before and after the day of Flush which I think most people would be worried about doing themselves?!

So I go to Hospital on the 14th of Jan, so watch this space and will let you know the results of what I do?

You may also be safer with Fasting diet which is far easier to do. but will post those details as well after I know what I am doing, I have already done the Fasting diet in many forms so I do know this is safe.

I actually watched the program "Trust me I am a Dr" with Mr Mosley on the BBC in 2012 which was when this all first started to come about. At that time there were 2 options, I did the calorie version for just over a year and lost 60Lb Unfortuantely I fell ill with the Gall Bladder and did not know it and I had lots of other problems in my life which saw me put all that weight back on. However now there is a whole wealth of information about this diet and there are loads of options to do it. I recently completed a 11 day water fast and it was truly amazing, I also did the 20 - 4 version which is not eating in the 20 hour period of the day and eat only in the 4 hour period, the reason this is a method is so that people can incorporate this into their daily lives,and uses the 8 hour period of sleep into it for your benefit. If you do not want to get into the diet this way you adjust the 20 hour window to what suits you best in your daily life but your goal is to make that 20 hour period into not eating for a whole day, called intermittent fasting. You can look all this stuff up on the internet don't trust what I say, all the information is out there. Mr Mosley went under a lot of tests when he did this program and was proven as to the benefits for doing it. Since then the Americans have taken this by storm along with the Flush which as I say is not for the faint-hearted to do.

• Posted

It is worth noting that the lady registrar in my previous post stated that nothing & that includes any flushing will not prevent in her very words "gall bladder removal" which she said was the ONLY way of getting rid of gall stones........... She was patently wrong as proven by a great deal of research that is on the internet and written by doctors mainly in the USA. It would seem pretty obvious that dissolution is cheaper than an operation but more importantly poses far less risk to the patient. The research says that a low does regime of that bile substance prevents the formation of stones also.

I am interested to know if the flush carried out or advised by the NHS is by fresh lemon pulp and juice in very warm 1/4 cup of olive oil?

Since I got rid of a few cholesterol type stones by taking a course of Ursodioxycholic acid capsules over two years ago I wonder if that will become an accepted method as well due to the treatment by ursodioxycholic acid being successful in dissolving cholesterol stones?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.