Constant palpitations

Posted , 14 users are following.

For the past 4 years now, i'v been having this constant palpitations, normally aware of my heart beat, sometimes it isn't fast and sometimes it is. It all started with my first panic attack,. It was an horrible experience and since then, i get so anxious every now and then. I always have anxiety physical symptoms too, they come and go provided i dont worry about them.

Had an ecg test, everything came out normal but they concluded it was sinus tachycardia. Doctor suggested it was anxiety.

Haven't taken any med since then, got another schedule with the doctor soon, might actually need some med

Is anybody experiencing this also, how did you combat it?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To add to that, i lost my dad in 2014 to an heart relate disease. Since the panic attack started, i usually think maybe i'm having that same problem with my heart, it just feels scary, anytime i think of it i feel this rush of adrenaline and that causes my heart to palpitate.

I'm worried. Doc said nothing is wrong with my heart.

• Edited

I have it too, the anxiety causing that tachycardia. I use a low dose beta blocker bc it helps stop that adrenaline problem and then the palpitations. also look into getting good nutrition, lots of greens bc they have potassium which is calming. magnesium is also calming too. If your dr is saying your heart is fine I would listen to that and know it's just anxiety. that should give you some peace of mind just knowing it's only anxiety. best wishes, jen

• Posted

Thanks, i figured it's usual triggered whenever i eat certain type meals too, i think i will need to adjust my menu

• Posted

been dealing with this for 15 years..

there are ways to control it

Vagal maneuvers that you can try to slow your fast heart rate include: Gagging. Holding your breath and bearing down (Valsalva maneuver). Immersing your face in ice-cold water (diving reflex). Coughing.

• Posted

i got pescribed propronol from my doctor to help with the palpations and so far its working great.. hope you get sorted

• Edited

I'm 55 years old, been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse since im 25 years old, Over the years ive had periods when my heart flutters (this is not what i call "palpitations". My symptoms are flip flopping , skipped beats). I go through periods where it can last days, weeks, and currently its been almost two months now. its in and off, all day long. could be hundred times in a 24 hour period. It had been over ten years since ive had a long episode. My cardiologist gave me an EkG, I wore a holter monitor, and he says my heart is fine. It is so disruptive. I have taken INDERAL 5 mg in the past, (a beta blocker) which has helped but its been 20 years since i have. I left him a message today because i want the prescription, im just frustrated. Exercise isnt helping, nor is magnesium or potassium. Does anyone here go through these intermittant periods of fluttering that does not go away for long periods, then suddenly goes dormant? im going out if my mind. And i am not an "anxious" person, my life isnt real stressful, im happy and in shape.

• Edited

@johhnybo i too am 55 years old ten years ago i had ab ablation and was told I had SVT and ten years prior to that i had atrial fibrillation

i get these palipitations still today sometimes it will come and go briefly and some times it will last hours

i lost my mom 6 wks ago and my father one year ago i have been their caregiver the entire time, which could be a result of anxiety although i do not physically feel the anxiousness, i believe this has to be the reason

i have been on sotilol since the ablation once per day. if i feel a series of palpitations coming on, i will take an extra pill.

i have had everything checked yearly with my cardiologist and all is normal . i am just one of these ppl who get them .

ten years ago my ablation also was for a very high heart rate, fainting and dizziness, but much different from the palpitations i get now .

i do understand the stress involved with these little spurts that can last seconds or even minutes, it may rest for a few minutes or longer even, and then reappears. sometimes i go months with nothing. it just seems more recent its happening more frequently

• Posted

I have been having the same exact thing! mine started in February of this year. It will last a few months then stop. It has just recently started up again. I have anxiety. My doctor tells me that my heart is fine. It is more aggravating then anything. What seems to help?? Any suggestions?

• Posted

yes i get these flutters i have Tachycardia had it for 13 yrs i am 63

• Posted

hi you could request your gp to do a 24 hour urine metanephrines or catecholamines test. your symptoms could be caused by way to much adrenalin in your system. its caused by a tumor of the adrenal gland called a pheochromacytoma its extreamly rare so doctors do not think to look for them the other tumor that can do this is a paraganglioma. they pump out hormones a pheo os always in the adrenal medulla but a para can be any where else between eyes and thighs so if your levals did come back high you would then need a ct or mri with contrast but needs to be eyes to thighs not just abdomen.

the reason I know this is because I have pheo and it took years for them to diagnose previous to it I was fobbed of as depression and anxiety most pheo patients are. these episodes at night are a big symptom of it it's to do with ether lying on the tumor and compressing it so it pumps out more or the sleep wake cycle. there is a very good support group on face book for this I am one of the admins on it.

if you read on line about it you will find it just gives you the basics it dosent shoe all the symptoms and a lot of the info is wrong and outdated one of the websites to look at is the pheo para allience they work with endocrinologists from all over the world. if your leavals did come back high you need a referl to a endocrinologist and it's important that they are experienced In pheo.

• Posted

hi you could request your gp to do a 24 hour urine metanephrines or catecholamines test. your symptoms could be caused by way to much adrenalin in your system. its caused by a tumor of the adrenal gland called a pheochromacytoma its extreamly rare so doctors do not think to look for them the other tumor that can do this is a paraganglioma. they pump out hormones a pheo os always in the adrenal medulla but a para can be any where else between eyes and thighs so if your levals did come back high you would then need a ct or mri with contrast but needs to be eyes to thighs not just abdomen.

the reason I know this is because I have pheo and it took years for them to diagnose previous to it I was fobbed of as depression and anxiety most pheo patients are. these episodes at night are a big symptom of it it's to do with ether lying on the tumor and compressing it so it pumps out more or the sleep wake cycle. there is a very good support group on face book for this I am one of the admins on it.

if you read on line about it you will find it just gives you the basics it dosent shoe all the symptoms and a lot of the info is wrong and outdated one of the websites to look at is the pheo para allience they work with endocrinologists from all over the world. if your leavals did come back high you need a referl to a endocrinologist and it's important that they are experienced In pheo.

• Edited

hi i was wondering if you still get flutters in yr heart its vert scarey as i am 63 and i am worried i have got Tachycardia had it for 13 yrs now but since i been having Anxiety it's every day Hooe yours are better now as tge post was a while ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.