Constant urge to pee

Posted , 91 users are following.

I pretty much constantly feel pressure and like I have to pee. If I hold it in a long time the urge is stronger but as soon as I go, the urge starts creeping up again. No burning. Seemingly no discoloration or smell,

I've had this problem before which lasted maybe a year and then it gradually faded? But then it came back sometime last year and it's wearing me down so bad to where I break down and lose it some days. I've been to doctors and I never really get much help. The last Urologist cost me what? $400 to $500? And I got nothing out of it and now I don't even know what to do or who to turn to. I just don't have money to keep spending and not even be helped. Most doctors I go to just do the same thing. "Oh it might be a UTI. LEt's check" again and again. One of the only doctors who offered anything outside the box was a doctor from a few years ago who thinks I might have unintentionally trained my bladder to be this way. The most recent one I went to said it might be overactive bladder or something and kinda brushed me off.

I officially had lab tests done that determined I do not have a UTI. I know it isn't an STD because I had this problem before ever partaking in anything like that.

I've tried quitting soda and drinking only water. Still doing that. I'm even trying bladder training currently and I just don't feel like it's really doing much for me? I'm forcing myself to hold it in longer now but even when I do that I'll still have to go again shortly after. I once held it for like 5 hours, emptied, felt a little better, and then I get in the car and shortly I have to go again. It's just this constant awareness I have of my bladder, this constant feeling of like a little pressure or urge. I don't really leak much. Maybe once or twice I have though? I remember one morning waking up feeling like I must have just started my perod but it wasn't that.

So I mean I am at my limit here. I just don't know what kind of doctor to go to anywmore. And like I just can't bear the thought of dropping another $400-500 like a damn fool.

6 likes, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey I got a question now... Can you have an infection in the SKIN of your urethra...but not in the actual bladder itself?
  • Posted

I recently developed this condition. A constant need to urinate. Even right after going to the bathroom. I had a UTI test yesterday and it was negative. Blood work was today to test for diabetes and prostate. I am only 45 and in pretty decent health. Although I am worried it could be either of these, my instincts tell me its not. Especially now that I have read so much about people with the same issues and dont mention the diagnoses being diabetes or prostate. 

I will tell everyone on here that anxiety could be the cause of your over-active bladder. In 2010 I was peeing 10-15 times a day. I had a family doctor and a urologist run every single test possible to figure out the cause. In the end, they both threw up their hands and said "i dont know". Prescribed me and over-active bladder medication that was $85/month, and sent me on my way. In 2012 I exploded into a full panic disorder. The bladder situation was without a doubt an indicator of an underlying nerve situation. Once I found the right anxiety medication, the over-active bladder went away.

There is a good chance this will be the diagnosis again for my current situation. Which would mean I have become immune to the anxiety meds that I have been taking. We'll see.  

• Posted

I too have "A constant need to urinate" and I also have Diabetes and am on medication for an enlarged prostate - but then I'm 76 years of age which may be the prime reason.

However my "constant need to urinate" predates both diabetes and prostate and goes back to 2005 when I was in hospital for a lung biopsy. Because I was put on a "pleural drain" afterwards I was "tied" to my bed and unable to walk to the toilet.  Sadly the ward staff steadfastly ingnored my requests for a "bottle" and when they did bring one it was made of cardboard and I was expected to re-use it until eventually it split and overflowed all over the floor.  My "punishment" was to be "ignored" and I had to lay there and "hold your water".  The discomfort and pain got so bad that I was forced to call for a doctor in the middle of the night and all he wanted to do was fit a catheter which i refused demandng that I be given a bottle.  By now of course I struggled to urinate freely as I had completely "lost control" of my bladder. My diabetes has never been "out of control" and my prostate (as far as I am aware" is diminished which virtually rules out both as being the cause.

I've also had Pernicious Anaemia for over 45 years which causes damage to the nervous system and I think perhaps urination is triggered via the nervous system so maybe that isn't helping and nor is my age.

I hope you find an answer and wish you well

• Posted

Can you please let me know what medication did you took that helped from the urine issue?

• Posted

Sounds a lot like an overactive bladder. I suffer from that it isn't constant but I frequently get the urge to go 

• Posted

Ok so update guys. And thanks to everyone following this thread and if any of you are having issues yourselves still I hope things get better for you too. I'll try and continue to share my story, maybe it'll help someone else too.

So. Yesterday I started to try and take bladder training more seriously. This will take a while I know. I am trying so hard to not be discouraged.

I have bought probiotics for bladder health and general digestion. I also bought something for anxiety/mood? All 3 of which are from GNC because I can't afford actual meds.

SO. What I have been doing is going at 7am  a little after I wake up, and then trying to hold it until 3pm. The way I feel after I go is I do feel relief. But maybe 10 minutes later if even that long I start feeling discomfort. Minor but it's there. And it gradually gets worse and worse. It's not that I go to the bathroom and then have to go in 30 minutes. It's that I go and then a few minutes later I just "feel" a problem down there. I just feel it there..? But anyway. I'm able to hold it quite considerably long. I'm usually able to actually make it to 3pm without trouble. Could even hold it longer if I wanted to but I don't enjoy feeling uncomfortable for 7ish hours. Because that is what it's like. 7 hours of misery. Not an hour of peace and then start feeling miserable. An hour of feeling nothing sounds amazing...

Anyway. Maybe once or twice I'll actually feel MINOR leaking. Nothing to get me bent out of shape but I do feel it subtly happening but it subsides eventually. I am not sure what this is a sign of. And when it happens varies. It can happen closely after I had already went or maybe some hours after I went.

Both days I went at 3pm, I would take a nap that could range from 30-40 minutes. I'd wake up and instantly feel uncomfortable and want to go quite a bit. And this is usually when I cave in and go an extra time. But after that I can hold it for quite a while due to being on the computer and I guess occupying myself. I have to say this is very discouraging to me. Not knowing if my efforts are in vain. If I really should keep suffering by holding it in for hours and it never leading me anywhere. But at the same time I know I've beaten this before. Anxiety and teaching my bladder bad habits? If it's really that the only way to maybe fix it or see if they were the problem is to just not give up even results take a while.

• Posted

I thought I was starting to get this under control but i swear yeaterday I felt like nothing had changed..
  • Posted

If you can hold from 7-3 the issue isn't an overactive bladder. The problem is how your brain is dealing with needing to pee. There is an old mantra; 

'We are what we think' 

You're constant worry means your brain is constantly searching for the sensation. Just like learning to play the piano, you're brain is gradually getting better and better at detecting these signals. Recent discoveries in Neuroplasticity show that a similar thing happens in people with chronic pain. Through focus they actually dedicate more nerones to detecting and reacting to the pain. This means that even when the cause of the pain disappears the pain continues. The brain needs less pain signals and your body is in more pain! 

*automatic blinking OFF* 

You see how you weren't even thinking about your blinking until this very moment? Now all of a sudden it's an issue? 

*by the way sorry about that, just wanted to illustrate the point* 

Could this be happening with your urge to urinate? Absolutely! I have been dealing with a similar for 10 years. I only recently found the answer and started unlearning this learned behaviour. 

Now I am not saying that there isn't some physical abnormality. However, if you can hold for 8 hours it isn't severe enough to require treatment. 

So what can you do? There is a book called 'The brain that heals itself' which describes how Dr Moscowitz retrained his mind to cure his chronic pain. I have been doing the same for my urge to urinate and I am starting to experience my first moments of freedom from the need to pee, where I total forget that I have spent the last ten years obsessed with my bladder, where the sensation abandons me completely. 

This is all of course just my theory but I'm happy to chat more. 

Good luck. And good thinking. After all, we are what we think. 

• Posted

I kinda suspected it could be this. This problem only went away when i was so focused on a sudden new life style that i forgot i had it.

I even remember the exact day it came back. I kept going a lot during an amusement park visit. And i was like "wow im sure going a lot...its back oh no" and its been bad ever since

• Posted

Straight talk about overactive bladder, because that is exactly what you're describing, even the coming and going of intensity of symptoms. I have been suffering from overactive bladder, or OAB, for almost twenty years. I first started noticing the frequency in college. I started seeing a urologist who prescribed Detrol LA and several other medications plus performed a urinary tract dilation several times. Urinary tract dilation is a procedure that is supposed to expand your urethra, allowing more urine to escape and aiding me to empty my bladder. This is achieved by numbing the urethra and inserting gradually bigger (metal?) sticks in order to stretch it. Neither the medicine nor the procedure worked. I later learned from my current urologist that urinary dilation is now thought to damage nerves causing incontinence. As a result, it supposedly fell out of favor many years before I had it done according to my current urologist. Sketchy. So I suffered for years, through pregnancy, which was awful, up until 2015 when I decided to try over the counter remedies such as oxybutynin. They too did not help. I then sought a new urologist in 2015 who praised all the new medicines available on the market since 2001 and started me on Vesicare, a very expensive medication not covered by my insurance at the time. It too did not help and my doctor just shrugged and said that was all he had. So on I trudged until I developed a disc herniation and mind numbingly painful sciatica down my right leg a year later. I started taking Gabapentin, a nerve medication, at the maximum dosage, 3 300mg pills 3x a day = 3800 mg. After I had surgery in May 2017 to repair the herniation I weaned off all my medicine and immediately had to go to the bathroom ALL the time, including at night. I took 3 pregnancy tests and had an emergency UTI check at my docs in case I had developed an infection from the surgery. All were negative. So I started googling my medications and OAB and sure enough, gabapentin popped up, but not in the way I was expecting. According to an article on the US National Library of Medicine, a rather surprising unexpected side effect of gabapentin is the calming of the nerves in the bladder greatly reducing urgency and frequency. Rather than causing my symptoms, it had been treating my symptoms and I had been too busy and in too much pain to notice. So I went back on gabapentin, just 1 300mg pill 3x a day = 900mg, and immediatly noticed an improvement. While I still had to go a lot throughout the day, the urgency wasn't constant and it didn't wake me up at night as much. We're talking once a night versus four or five times a night. However, we're wanting another baby and gabapentin causes early preterm labor so it had to go. Called my urologist and made an appt. Told him about the gabapentin and he scoffed, stating that it's not intended for OAB. Whatever. Asked him about other nonpharmacological treatments and he recommended percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation, or PTNS. This is basically where they put a 3" acupuncture needle into either ankle, attach an electrode to it, and send pulses of electricity up your leg on the nerve that runs to your bladder. It's supposed to calm the nerves in your bladder. Did it, didn't work. Now my options are botox injections, which are very risky because they can shut down the nerve instead of just calming it making it so you lose control of your bladder. No thanks. So now I'm miserable again until baby #2 comes along and I can start gabapentin again. I say all of this in case you find yourself in the same position with nothing working for you either. Good luck!

• Edited

wow! you have a baby?!

i've been struggling with OAB since I was 4 yo and nothing has helped me so far. i'm 25, i'm a virgin and i have never had any relationship because of this awful torture!!!! I wish I go to the restroom 4 times at night, but no! i'm going to bed at 9:30 and till 3 am I running to the restroom every time I'm falling asleep. i hate my life and have suicide thoughts a lot. this is not a life. this is not a youth. no doctor both in US or Ukraine was able to help me. And, honestly, every consultation I feel like I know so much more than all of them know... They just dont want to think and do their research.

• Posted

I feel like i have half given up. I dont think theres any hope anymore. There are times its bearible and other times i cant take it.

I dont think ill ever be happy again.

• Posted

I'm sorry youre having such a hard time. I had a hard time determining whether you are looking for relief or a cure. To be blunt, there is no cure. I encourage you to explore the medication options you have available to you such as vesicare, oxybutynin, detrol, etc. However, as I said before none of those worked for me, not even a little. What does work for me is Gabapentin 300mg tab 3x a day. It's a nerve pain medication that also calms the nerves in the bladder that cause overactive bladder. When I'm not on it I just want to cry. I can't sleep and I have to go to the bathroom every hour. I could go more but I make myself wait. With Gabapentin I can wait several hours before having to go. If you have tried the conventional methods of treatment for oab and they did not help I encourage you to give Gabapentin a try. I hope you can find relief.

• Posted

I don't think you should say 'there is no cure', it's a self fulfilling prophecy which all the science backs up. There is absolutely a cure for most things but it may not take a form you recognise! Hang in

There op, I posted in response but my post is being moderated 

• Posted

Hey, just started following this and have read through all of your posts. I have had the exact same symptoms you have talked about which became worse about a year and a half ago. I was initially diagnosed with IC but now other doctors believe that it is probably overactive bladder. It is so hard to find a good doctor, which has been a huge struggle throughout this process. Most doctors are confused by my case because I have exhausted my options, not including invasive procedures like botox or interstim. But, moral of my post here is that I want to encourage you to keep morale up, and try not to let it control you life. My symptoms are almost identical to yours, so I'm right here with you. Keep a positive mindset and never give up trying to figure this out. Like previous posts said, although our problems are so real, I do think my brain plays a role in it as well. I'd highly recommend support groups, finding people to talk to about it (like on here), and possibly seeking counseling (I have seriously considered this). Don't let it take control of you! Try to take your life back as much as possible. You will get through this, it may just take a while. 

• Posted

I'm curious about this, because currently I take Gabapentin 300mg in the morning, 200mg in the afternoon, and 200 mg at night. This is the only thing that has even remotely helped in the past year, but it only helps at night. When I take it both in the morning and at night, the urge to pee never goes away. The only thing it helps is that I don't wake up in the middle of the night anymore. Since this works at night, I'm frustrated that it doesn't do anything during the day. Do you think this implies that my problem has to do with my nerves? I haven't been correctly diagnosed (its either IC or OAB), so I never know where my bladder problems originate. I have taken anything you could think of, and Gabapentin is the only thing that has even touched me in helping my symptoms. Do you have any advice or suggestions?

• Posted

Lauren,

I'll have to google gabapentin although I kind of know what it is.

Boy, I would love to be able to sleep through the night.  Is it possible that you're taking too much gabapentin.  Maybe you should just take it at night.

I too know of a med that will knock me out all night; the problem is that it lingers into the next day and I feel like a zombie for 12 hours or so.  That's even worse than having to pee.   So I have no answers.

Does anyone know of someone who has tried Botox?

I also know of a medication that will knock me out for the night -

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.