Constant urge to pee

Posted , 91 users are following.

I pretty much constantly feel pressure and like I have to pee. If I hold it in a long time the urge is stronger but as soon as I go, the urge starts creeping up again. No burning. Seemingly no discoloration or smell,

I've had this problem before which lasted maybe a year and then it gradually faded? But then it came back sometime last year and it's wearing me down so bad to where I break down and lose it some days. I've been to doctors and I never really get much help. The last Urologist cost me what? $400 to $500? And I got nothing out of it and now I don't even know what to do or who to turn to. I just don't have money to keep spending and not even be helped. Most doctors I go to just do the same thing. "Oh it might be a UTI. LEt's check" again and again. One of the only doctors who offered anything outside the box was a doctor from a few years ago who thinks I might have unintentionally trained my bladder to be this way. The most recent one I went to said it might be overactive bladder or something and kinda brushed me off.

I officially had lab tests done that determined I do not have a UTI. I know it isn't an STD because I had this problem before ever partaking in anything like that.

I've tried quitting soda and drinking only water. Still doing that. I'm even trying bladder training currently and I just don't feel like it's really doing much for me? I'm forcing myself to hold it in longer now but even when I do that I'll still have to go again shortly after. I once held it for like 5 hours, emptied, felt a little better, and then I get in the car and shortly I have to go again. It's just this constant awareness I have of my bladder, this constant feeling of like a little pressure or urge. I don't really leak much. Maybe once or twice I have though? I remember one morning waking up feeling like I must have just started my perod but it wasn't that.

So I mean I am at my limit here. I just don't know what kind of doctor to go to anywmore. And like I just can't bear the thought of dropping another $400-500 like a damn fool.

6 likes, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. After reading the rest of the posts, middle child 79, made some good advice. For me doctors didn't know, urologist didn't know, had an ultrasound and that came back with nothing. Lived with that torture for over 4 years. Then one day I came across info on interst

• Edited

Interstitial cystitis is the name for what I had. Look that up and really find out what is causing you to feel the urgency. For me diet was #1. Caffeine was the worst. That includes coffee, tea, chocolate, soda ect. Second was citrus fruit like lemons, oranges, pineapple, etc. Third was fruit/vegetables high in vitamin c like tomatoes or broccoli. After I completely cut all that out for about a month, which was a lot of trial and error, then I started feeling better. I also find stress and sickness will also bring on the urgency. For example I may feel like I am getting a common cold which will trigger the urgency to pee more frequently. Best thing to do is live healthy and happy which I know is sometimes easier said then done. Try to get enough sleep 7-8 hours which means if your getting up at night to use bathroom then sleep longer. Yes you can overcome this, you just need to figure out what is causing the urgency. If you have any questions please ask and I will try to get back to you.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. This sounds like me. Without this forum and everyone’s good post, I wouldn’t feel this good now. For me it is the caffeine and I just got an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I was a lot stressed bc of major purchases at home. Oi! So glad there’s a cure insight. This was so helpful. 
    • Edited

i have same issue,,now it has been more then 3 year..its painful..and i wonder medical science dont even have proper approach to the most common and painful disease on earth...

i found only few medicine out of many drugs which i have taken to be only usefull which can make u set for  long hours, with less liquid intake ofcourse, without getting urge unless u start runing or apply pressure...all other drugs were toaly useless

• Edited

Hi guys thanks for commenting. I sadly am still dealing with the problem. Today having a really bad depression episode because of it. Lately me and my bf have been wondering if dehydration could be my issue. I typically don't drink a lot of fluids in generall. I think I have always been this way. So I am trying to drink water again but this time a lot more than prior. But it is discouraging me because it feels like it agitates the problem. I really don't know if my problem is mental or physical. And it's so hard to find out. I wish it was just a UTI. I just wish the solution and problem were clearer instead of this weird vague kinda situation

• Posted

Also I dunno if it applies but I possibly could have constipation issues and I hear it can affect bladder weirdly enough. I don't think i empty in THAT way very often. Feels like I can to several days without.

Wish things were more simple but its so tedious having to dissect this without a doc to further help. The last doctor brushed me off and more or less said pursuing this more could get expensive. And my help ended there. To begin with they were never that amazing to me or seemed like they cared. They just asked some standard questions and finished out sessiond asap

• Posted

Please message me I can share about what has helped me in my time of desperation. Nothing illegal but a lengthy post so I'd rather message you than write a novel post!

• Edited

Hi

I would love to find a solution for this constant pressure to pee. I have it now for 5 years have had numerous medications cystocopies and colonoscopy . Nothing seems to help. I am nearly used to feeling this way but sometimes it’s really extreme so hard to ignore. I’m booked in for installations for next few weeks. I do think stress makes it worse., I am worn out from it. Very hard to enjoy a walk and my husband sleeps in another room as I wake him a lot during the night. Sometimes I just cry a lot . Dying to hear about your experience.

• Posted

Could you please email me the information.

Thank you! 

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Thank you for your post. would you consider messaging me with this information as well? Thanks again in advance
  • Posted

Sorry you are still feeling this way!  Trust me, I know from experience how frustrating and depressing this is.  It took me over a year to get where I felt semi-good again but thankfully I had the support of a great urogynecologist through it who believed me when I told him my symptoms and worked with me to find a solution.  So, first off, where do you live?  I know the U.K. Healthcare is different from in the US.  I'm in the US and can go see whatever doctor I want without needing a referral.  When I felt I wasn't getting anywhere with a urologist, I sought a second opinion with a urogynecologist.  They are specialized in women's systems and see this kind of thing that you are describing every single day.  So, my first suggestion is to keep pursuing another doctor until you find one who takes you seriously.  You need a diagnosis!  You need someone who will rule out more than just UTI for you!  They should be running various tests such as cystoscopy, MRI with due contrast and urodynamic testing.  They should be scanning your bladder with ultrasound for post void residual to see if you are in fact retaining urine or if you are just having the sensation that you are.  You need a diagnosis so you can then start treating it.  Overactive bladder is a diagnosis by exclusion of everything else so it can take a while to get to that but you need a healthcare professional who will get you answers!  Then you can talk about treatments.  Next, I was never a big water drinker either.  Before my OAB diagnosis I rarely even drank anything with meals.  But if you do in fact have OAB, it's important to drink enough to keep you hydrated and your urine from being too concentrated or urgency will get worse.  But, you also can't guzzle down beverages because too much liquid on the bladder all at once will hit it hard and give you urgency.  It's a balancing game and you should be sipping water throughout the day.  Constipation can also contribute to urgency and frequency but it sounds like your issues may be more than constipation.  So, I'm sorry I wrote a novel but I feel passionately about finding a good doctor who will partner with you in finding you solutions.  I was where you are at...desperate and frightened and very depression.  I am so much better now.  My bladder is well managed most of the time and I never thought I could be where I am.  I just want you to have hope that this can and will get better with the right care.  Seek out a good doctor who is willing to help and not just blow you off.  

• Posted

Thankyou thankyou. I actually only recently found out about that type of doctor and they seem more suited for my issue. Part of me wonders if its mental too. I have extreme anxiety and the more i let me bladder bother me the worse it actually gets.

When i got my first job 3 years ago during the time i was first having this problem as bad as this i was so concerned about my bladder affecting work. However...weirdly enough eventually i kinda stopped having the problem or noticing it as much. I also drank mostly water then at work and not the sodas. I also purposefully tried not to go as much even if i wanted to? Because it was my first job i could have been soooo focused on it that i just forgot my bladder?

But the symptoms came back 2 years ago?? Wont stop. And i cant stop thinking about it. Tbh I dont even know if i were ever gone? Maybe i was so used to it? Its so hazy now...

I noticed something else interesting. There was one time when i started noticing my tougne. Like became hyper aware. And it annoyed me for a day.

I have adhd so i wonder if my anxiety + tendency to hyper focus on things can be causing my issue? Just a crock pot of mess.

I live in the USA with no insurance. I cant afford it. Am borderline poor. The 400 that didnt help me was a heavy blow lol. But it confirmed I didnt have a uti and the ultrasound didnt see anything...but its so hard to trust these docs because i swear they didnt care.

Maybe its mental...but i cant afford anxiety medicine... did i do this to myself cuz i used went to the bathroom at school so i could get away from people.? I dont know. I lnow ive always gone to the bathroom a lot...even as a kid when it was time for bed i would actually have to go a lot and they forbid me from doing so because they thought i was lying but it was true. I had to pee in yahoo bottles or in the cornor because i wasnt allowed out because i was supposed to sleep....

• Posted

Hello, i am a 36 year old male and having this issue too. Just started a couple weeks ago. i noticed you had converstaions with a few different people.  Has anyone sent you information regarding anything helpful? Please please share if you feel it in your heart to help. thank you
  • Posted

So... I'm miserable today and did more digging and found this

This constant awareness I have of my bladder COULD possibly be linked to OCD. But I don't know what doctor to go to to determine that. And if I did diagnose it I'd like medicine for it to try and manage this if possible....

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Still though my mind will always wonder if the problem is physical. Is it possible for the erethra to be irritated without there being infection. Because honestly the entire discomfort, the sensation, it feels like it's around that area..i dunno ughh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.