Constant urge to pee. Burning at tip of penis. After bowel movement pee urgency increases. What is?

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old male and I started having problems around 3 months ago.

It started after I finished an edging session (masturbating). I felt the constant urge to pee. I didn't give it much notice because something similar happened in the past, in a similar circumstance. Usually after a nights rest it will disappear. However, not this time around. I was visiting the toilet every 30-60 minutes. And always have the urge at the tip of the penile area.

I visited my local GP, they prescribed me antibiotics for a UTI as well as performing a urine test. I finished the course of antibiotics with no difference in my condition and test results coming back clean. No UTI or STD. (cephalexin 500mg).

My GP referred me to get an ultrasound done on my bladder and a blood test. And during the meantime prescribed me overactive bladder medication in hopes of reducing my symptoms.

The ultrasound was performed and nothing abnormal was found. No thickening of the bladder walls and prostate was normal walnut size. Blood test returned with everything normal. For OAB I was first given (oxybutynin) giving me heavy side effects, dry mouth, dry eyes, losing my voice, barely any saliva in throat, etc. Then alternatively given (solifenacin 5mg or Vesicare) giving me no side effects. However, neither of those medications gave me relief.

At this point I was referred to a urologist.

Seeing the urologist I explained to him exactly as above. That this started after my edging session. He dismissed how it could be linked with my current issues. He believed it was OAB. Giving me (mirabegron 50mg or Betmiga). He also put me on the waiting for a cystoscopy.

Still needing to visit the toilet every few minutes it was clear the OAB medications aren't effective.

At this stage I was really unsettled. I was really depressed about everything. 4 medications with no luck. I live a very active life. Doing cardio and resistance training for an hour each day. My BMI is optimal. My abdominal muscles are defined. I would perform core exercises and yoga as recovery. My nutrition is managed. No caffeine, no alcohol. Balanced diet. But with this issue I've had to stop exercising due to the discomfort.

So I went to a sexual health clinic. Providing them all the tests I've done beforehand to see what they believe could be the cause. Nonspecific Urethritis or NGU was a possibility. I was prescribed (doxycycline 100mg).

This also proved unsuccessful. Being 1 month and a half my symptoms sort of subsided some days. I was going every hour to 2 hours. But the burning and urge was still constant. Always at the tip of the penis.

I figured I would try some vitamins to see. I've had urinary tract support vitamins, hiprex for urinary tract infections. Still nothing.

After waiting what seemed an eternity (2 weeks) I was able to see the urologist again. He prescribed me (zithromax 500mg) 2 tablets at once. In hopes of getting rid of any infection or bacteria that could be causing me this discomfort.

This was also unsuccessful.

However, I noticed that during my bowel movement my penis felt burning. I would pee alittle while pooing and it would trigger my urge to pee even more. After I would finish pooing the urge to pee would be every 30 minutes. I believed it could be a prostate related problem.

I returned to my GP and explained what's been happening currently. She believed it could be prostatitis. She had me do a urine test again and blood test to measure the PSA levels. Prescribing me (trimethoprim 300mg) a 2 week treatment. I've currently entered my second week of treatment with no signs of improvement.

Now 3 months with this issue I'll explain my current condition.

The urge to pee is still constant however I can hold it for 3 hours or more sometimes. Going 5 - 6 times in a normal day.

I don't wake up at night to go, I can get 6 - 8 hours rest.

I've stopped masturbating for 2 months.

I can get erections and maintain them without issues. I feel no testicular pain or abdominal pain.

I've been performing pelvic based exercises every 2 days (kegel exercises), I average between 8000 steps daily (which is below my standard before this issue happened).

Cut out any foods that may trigger my bladder.

I've found the only times I get relief is after a hot shower.

When I'm seated, with my legs crossed over (sometimes).

When I'm laying down raising my knees to my chest.

Gently massaging the area between the testicles and anus.

These are the only times.

But now after I poo the urge is extreme. I do my bowel movement once a day. Sometimes I'll skip a day. And during that day I'll go 5 times to the toilet but have light burning & urgency. Bowel movement really triggers it.

Thank you for reading all this. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Any help would be appreciated immensely.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would also like to add my PSA Level returned and came back normal sitting at 0.36. Urine test also came back clean.

Cheers.

• Posted

How is u r burning now ? Is it still happening after urine or when u r sitting for prolong is burning happening ?

• Posted

My burning is still there. Its usually after I finish peeing. The urge to go again will hit me 5 minutes after. I find if I sit down the urge will slowly decrease. Sitting is fine for me. However, laying down slowly builds the urge again.

• Posted

Does burning is always thr or u can feel some times its finished and u r normal then again next urine u will feel burning again started and its severe is this kind of symptoms ? Is ur prostate ok ? I mean is it enlarge prostate ?

• Posted

I can find myself sometimes completely normal in some occasions. If I've been walking around for 1 hour + but the moment I pee it will return. If I was to rate the severity in a scale. 10 being urgent and 1 being normal. After I pee it will feel like a 5. If I lay down after I pee its a 7. If I had any bowel movement its easily a 9.

My prostate is completely fine. Normal size. And PSA is fine also.

• Posted

hey man, any updates on your condition? i just found your thread looking for answers to my condition. very similar symptoms, itchy feeling or mild burning at the tip of penis causing sensation of needing to pee. dont wake up during nights. very active lifestyle, 41 years old. mine started after very cold mountain bike ride. since then, pretty much constant, bit over a year. it sometimes goes away if i dont pee for 3 or 4 hours, but every peeing resets the cycle, like something gets irritated. all tests were norm. all medications or supplements have no effect. i know how you feel. it is terrible. i am talking with doc trying to figure out next steps we could take. good luck and please share when you find an answer. i certainly will.

• Posted

Hi there,

Since end of October I've had issues with frequent urination. A feeling like there is always pee at the tip of the penis needing to get out. Constant pressure on bladder when walking and stuff too, only time its not that bad is when im laying down. However, since it started i have not had to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate at all. Its daytime frequency.

It has made me super sad because I exercise and play sports such as hockey and soccer regularly and this issue I can barely play. Obviously my mind is constantly on this.

It was bad in October/November, saw my doctor who told me to wait and see if it continues till after christmas. It actually wasnt too bad over december/january as much but got worse at the beginning of February again, so I saw the doctor again and he has me taking a natural vitamin daily called Saw Palmetto.

Im stressing about this every day. Its ruining my life, to be honest.

• Posted

saw palmetto does nothing. i wouldnt count on it. i have had this similar issue for over a year now.

tried everything possible without any luck. the only think that sort of helped was alfuzosin, but does not get rid of the feeling in penis and bladder, just reduces it a bit. but i just started taking it recently so maybe it will improve.

how old are you?

• Posted

Hi, did alfuzosin cure your symptoms?

I have been prescribed alfuzosin 10 mg daily (to take at night) along with vesicare. But im yet to take them.

• Posted

Im 21. Its frustrating, I dont think Saw palmetto will do anything. Its making me super frustrated some days

• Posted

inhave the same feeling jest my is even worse i cant pee at night im so depressed its ben like that for a month nothing helps its hard to fall a sleep when u constantly have to go and cant

• Edited

Hey Anthony!

I have pretty much the same issue and i haven been able to find like a perfect cure but i wanted to offer my insight and the things that help me and see if they can help you.

i did the whole going to the doctor and urologist and trying a bunch of different medication and nothing worked because i think its caused by strain placed on your pelvic floor muscle which is a muscle used for things like urinating.

what i have found that helps if its getting really bad is to

-Have a bath with epsom salts (the warm water and the salts help to relax the muscles which can help with discomfort)

-Have a shower if you can have a bath

-Buy/use a heat pack and place it on your perineum, try and keep it underneath your pants but above your underwear. Do this whenever youve got time to sit and relax or even before you go to sleep i find that it can help with sleeping

-Go for a walk, about 10-15 minutes. i find moving the muscle in a relaxing way can help maintain it

-Have a huge amount of water, like copious amounts. I normally have a water bottle with me all the time and drink about a letre per 2 hours. I find that the symptoms feel a lot better if when i urinate its not as concentrated and I'm passing a lot.

-Try not to sit on hard surfaces for a long time, if you need to bring a pillow to sit on.

These are things i find help manage it but unfortunately i don't have a straight up cure for you, still trying to work that one out myself. My assumption as to why it could start could be due numerous things, one including over masturbation but could also be due to bad posture and sitting habits.

Hope some of that helps. Here to answer questions if need be.

-Ryan

• Posted

did you ever manage to clear up your symptoms?

I had a similar thing years ago and now it's back! I do believe masturbation as the cause is a common theme in these posts, it makes sense really if it's been over used like any muscle it takes time to heal.

• Posted

I know how much urine is a big problem. I had frequent urination, but I managed to reduce it a little , with shaking tea (pedicle).

Try it, I hope it works for you too 😊

• Edited

Hi Anthony,

I'll start off by saying I think I know what is happening to you because similar things have happened to me. For me it occurred out of nowhere when I was pretty young and had incontinence, urgency, and overall sadness and dwelling over the fact that my life would never be the same. I also tried going to doctors and urologists, but none had any answers or cures. That was when I looked into other possibilities for what it could be. I stumbled upon a forum of people talking about how it could relate to mental health. There is a type of OCD known as Sensorimotor OCD which is characterized by a hyperawareness of bodily functions, the most common type revolving around urinary processes. When I saw this I started seeing a psychiatrist and through behavorial therapy, I was basically cured. I don't know if this is your issue, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it which maybe you have, I realize how old this post is.

I hope things get better,

Matt

• Posted

Hey Matt,

I have been experiencing the same symptoms for nearly 2 months now with all tests coming back clean. am super frustrated at this point. Thankfully my symptoms are not horrendous although they are taking their toll on my emotional well-being. I wanted to reach out as I was diagnosed with sensory motor OCD 8 years ago and never thought of this a a potential issue. I thought it was perhaps due to daily masturbation. I was on cipralex for my OCD although managed to get my OCD under control somewhat and have since been off cipralex for nearly 2 years. You got me thinking that perhaps there is indeed a coralation and may get back on the meds to see if they provide any relief.

Am so happy to hear you're doing better brother. Any additional insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated man.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hello John, I am curious, did you have any success with the medication to resolve this feeling?

• Edited

hello kui , i would also be intrigued if any of the medications worked for him if you get a response . im on my 7/8 month now with the same issues as every one above . ive had two uti tests which were clear and a blood test which did not show any signs of anything . for me the probem is a strong 9/10 especially when travelling to and from work. ive stopped attending the barbers as i can not sit for that long in a chair without the feeling becoming unbareable , the same for going to the gym / boxing etc etc i just can not attend anymore due to the issue . currently i have been prescribe oxybutynin hydrochloride today after months of putting off the blood test due to a needle phobia ! was really hoping they would work but its not looking promising from the above conversations! we shall see

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.