Constant wheezing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I developed adult onset asthma 20 years ago. I have had the usual on-again off-again attacks, most requiring 2-5 days hospitalization. Sadly, I found out a few years ago I was allergic to my cat. Once I gave her away, the severe attacks nearly stopped. Now, I only get a bad attack once or twice a year... when I catch a bad cold. I go in the hospital and get intravenous steroids and albuterol treatments for a few days, and I come home. But here's my dilemma: I wheeze constantly... all day long. In the morning it's worse and I have a phlegmy sounding cough, but no sputum comes up. I have been unable to find any information about this chronic wheezing. I am not terribly short of breath so I dont go to the ER. However, if I were to go to the ER right now, they would hear a lot of inhale/exhale wheezing, but my chest xray would be normal. Anyone else plagued by constant wheezing, and do you know what's causing it?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have a similar story like you. Almost same symptoms. Saw so many docs. but nothing productive. I just kept on taking inhalers and after 2-3 yrs it seems to be slowly getting better but still not 100%. Don't know what it is.

• Posted

My pulmonologist has referred me to have a CT lung cancer screening. I hope to have it done tomorrow. Not that I think I have cancer, but it's good to rule it out. And if there is something serious, I need to catch it early. My doctor thinks I am more likely to have some kind of COPD, or just constant allergens are causing asthma symptoms. We shall see. I will post again with any results.

• Posted

And I am glad your wheezing is getting better abhi. It's just such a pain to be a slave to an inhaler every day, all our lives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.