Constipated - Cant pass Stool

Posted , 52 users are following.

Ive not suffered from any constipation for years, but all of a sudden a couple of days ago it just came out of nowhere, I have a large stool that wont come out, it feels like its too big and hurts too much when I try to go to the toilet. Does anyone have any tips I can try before going to the doctor? I am making sure to eat plenty of fruit, oranges etc. and also drink lots of water.

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have been dealing with this issue for years i am treated with High Dose Morphine for other conditions so its a constant struggle , Milk of magnesia is the best option for me all the other stool softeners have done little to nothing to help me , I will say if you have not passed stool in 5 days please go to the doctor I have found that beyond 5 days its getting risky and difficult to really catch up on I have had friends with Cancer who waited too long so after 3 days get Milk of Magnesia of that does not make you have a movement I think you should see the doctor .
  • Posted

I’m late but this thread has really helped me ! I had the same problem this weekend and it was HELL. I tried everything ! Vaseline, manually getting it out, laxative etc so I finally decided to get a suppository and in 15 mins I was able to go and I am truly relieved. I have never felt anything like this before it hurt so bad that I was about to go to the hospital if this didn’t work 
  • Posted

Thank you all for posting and your suggestions. I as well had to endure this trauma and drama, and I kept praying to God to please help me and also thanked God for letting me not have to go into work and have to deal with this all. I went through all of what everyone has posted already, and in the end, I drank whole leaf aloe vera juice mixed with some magnesium citrate, also drank dark cherry juice mixed with water, and then drank some apple juice, and manually removed it the same way the other gracious poster said it was not a quick process, and changing gloves every insertion, standing up, walking around, sitting in a warm tub, etc etc... I lubricated the glove with Preparation H with aloe, for easier insertion and also to soften up the stool that was in there. It was too hard, and I had seen the nurse do this manual removal for my husband when he was in the hospital and I recall she explained that she had to break up the large mass in there or else it would not come out. So I used one finger to poke it to break it up and two fingers to try to remove the lumps. I also have hemorrhoids that were completely swollen and inflamed, and so this was the blockage that prevented it from passing. Eventually, it came out on its own after manually removing bit by bit and pushing the hemorrhoids back inside. Oh my goodness... this was truly the worst day of my life, and this blog saved me. I almost was on my way to the ER. I had even gotten the prep for colonoscopy since that clears you out completely-- magnesium citrate bottles, mineral oil enemas, and miralax. But I didn't use any of them. I think also what exacerbated the issue was that I had started to take psyllium husks as fiber AFTER I was already constipated. Do not do that, or else your stool will be extra hard and bulk up. You need a stool softener like mineral oil or milk of magnesia or something else but not a bulking agent. Thank you all, and good luck, and God Bless...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.