Constipation after colonoscopy

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy on November 7. Nothing was noted in the findings and ever sense I have been constipated. I had a small bowel movement the day after and a medium bow movement about four days after. Since then, nothing! I don't feel bloated or have the urge to go. Is this normal? Should I be concerned or just wait it out?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh I hate those things. It's the prep that creepy. I never experienced constipation, however there are some gentle stool softeners OTC than I have used occasionally. Ask your pharmacist what right for you. 

Sometimes drinking prune juice helps or magnesium.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Prior to the colonoscopy, your gastrointestinal tract was cleaned out...you need to fill things back up again...if you had true constipation, you would be most uncomfortable...do not use a laxative but if you become uncomfortable, consider a stool softner like docusate sodium.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

It's like your bowels know when you're talking about them LOL. I had a bowel movement this morning but it was very soft, greasy and floated. I don't know if this is also due to just rebuilding the good bacteria or what. The colonoscopy wasn't bad at all but I'm seeing the after effects can be

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth:

I wouldn't worry about not going to the loo properly after a colonoscopy.  I had one in August and had to wait over a week before I went.  If your bowel is clear after all the prep. (which is the worst thing) then it will take a while to fill up.  Just eat as normal.

• Posted

Elizabeth...I just googled this because I had one a couple weeks ago and ever since I have been constipated.  Weeks! I have never had this issue my whole life instead the opposite. I’m very uncomfortablesad 
    • Posted

I’m in the same pòsition.  Things changed after the colonoscopy a few weeks ago.

• Posted

Hi Mary

Did things settle ànd how soon. I am in same position as you after scope. Never had problems going before into day 3 now. Worried

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy a couple months ago and I've been constipated most of the time since the procedure. I'm in my seventies and never had this problem.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. My name is George and Google brought me in here too, since i was searching about the same problem you have (or hopefully had). Mine has lasted for 1.5 years and continues. Did you finally got a relief and most importantly how? Thank you in advance.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth.  I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and since then I continue to have problems. What I have found is if I take 1 tablespoon of Organic Psyllium, whole husks daily I have no problems.  Also drink more water.  Two years ago I spoke with my GP recording the change that occurred after the colonoscopy.  He is clueless,  but there is a lot of chat on the internet regarding this condition.  
  • Posted

Elizabeth  I had a colonoscopy approx. 3 years ago and constipation continued.  When I mentioned this to my doctor he had no answers.  Come to find out there is a lot a chatter on the internet regarding this condition. There is a sinister relationship between a colonoscopy and ongoing chronic constipation.  With that said, I came across an article 7 weeks ago regarding organic unfiltered apple vinegar and how it can help restore your colon.  Not only does it alkali your system but it also adds good bacteria.  So what the heck, I tired it and it works.  Now every morning when I get up I immediately mix a half a teaspoon of honey and an overflowing tablespoon of vinegar in at-least 8 to 10 ounces of water and I drink it down.  I have not missed a day in 7 weeks now and it has restored my system. I cannot speak for anyone else but it saved me.  I feel normal again.  caution: do not take vinegar without diluting with water.  It can burn your throat and remove enamel from you teeth after long term usage.  For me, I will continue this process.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.