Consultants 'opinion' preventing valid treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had bowel prolapse, polyps and iBS for four years, major surgery didn't help, recently me GP prescribed steroids which made the dreadful symptoms 16 - 22 visits to loo daily, virtually go away, but due to a very new consultants opinion, she persuaded my GP, on grounds she had refused me them herself, to stop a second short course of them for me, how can i prevent this interfering busy body from allowing me a treatment that clearly gives me the only relief I have had in four utterly trialsome years?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fiona. I have just clicked on the 'forums' tab at the top of the page and then clicked on 'B'. Bowel problems is on the list that comes up. Hope you get the help there that you need. The reason this forum came up in your search was because you put 'steroids' on your description and the condition we have (PMR stands for Polymyalgia Rheumatica), means we are all on steroids! Good luck and don't despair. Once you find the right forum on this site, I am sure you will get support and help you need. We all swear by this one! So good to know your'e not alone. Take care, Debbie
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, I have now posted up, in the correct place!!  Thanks also to Eileen and mrsmop
    • Posted

Great! Hope the folk over there are as friendly and helpful as people here! All the best.

And you know - the GP doesn't HAVE to listen to that consultant and you can request to see someone else/not see her if she doesn't listen to you. Get a double appointment if you can, at the end of the surgery if possible so  you aren't rushed, and discuss it with the doctor who knows you best and who you trust most. At all events - make sure you have the last appointment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.