Consultants 'opinion' preventing valid treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had bowel prolapse, polyps and iBS for four years, major surgery didn't help, recently me GP prescribed steroids which made the dreadful symptoms 16 - 22 visits to loo daily, virtually go away, but due to a very new consultants opinion, she persuaded my GP, on grounds she had refused me them herself, to stop a second short course of them for me, how can i prevent this interfering busy body from allowing me a treatment that clearly gives me the only relief I have had in four utterly trialsome years?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you got either PMR or GCA as well as all the other problems? If not, then there is not a lot anyone here can advise you about. This is a forum for those illnesses and their management.

Your only real choice is to discuss it with your GP and possibly ask for a second opinion from another consuiltant.

• Posted

As I understand it this is a forum for all bowel complaints as I googled for that specifically and this is what came up.  Regards PMR or GCA, you will have to spell them out as I cannot recognise from purely the initials you use what these complaints are as I haven't come across them before.  My point about the Consultant is she literally put me on trial for arguing with her over steroid use and I didn't feel it was fair, the health of the patient, in this case me, should be the only priority and as a forum I felt fit to air what had happened publicly, I cannot see any problem with this, surely comments from the public concern all areas of health?
    • Posted

Also, in addition, my point was the steroids were the only thing that had actually alleviated a very incapacitating condition and she had no right to argue with the doctor, having known me literally five minutes and yet my doctor I have known for over three years.
    • Posted

If you scroll to the top of the page (at least the page I have in front of me on my computer) you will see Home > Discussion Forums > Bones. joints and muscles > Polymyalgia rheumatica and GCA.

It has happened a few times recently that posts that are not in this area have come up - but before reporting it to be moved to the right place I thought I'd check. However- the last line of my response still applies. 

• Posted

This obviously needs looking into as I googled 'forum for steroid use in bowel complaints' and a specific link to this site came up.
  • Posted

Hi fiona. Eileen is correct regarding where on this site you need to go. If you go to the home page and type bowel into the search bar it will direct you to the correct section, you can then ask fellow sufferers if they had had the same problem or if any of them have been prescribed steroids. Hope you soon find a soloution and good luck with your search.
    • Posted

Actually I am tearfully upset as the only other site I could find to do with bowels had completely and utterly illegible 'captcha codes' and I feel it was a total diservice to the public to make them that illegible, i have tried 20 of these illegible, truly, codes and i DON'T know what they can possible be thinking of, where is a proper site with a forum that deals with bowels that does not have these handicaps?
    • Posted

If you go to the bottom of the page here and click on report you will be able to send a message to the moderator. Explain that you need your discussion to be diverted to the correct forum for "bowel problems" and hopefully they will be able to help you.
    • Posted

Thank you Tavidu, I have now found the correct page, sorry it took me a while!
    • Posted

At the right hand side of this page, about level with your original question, you will see a box that says "Search thousands of discussions" with a search box, above "Start a new discussion".

If you type bowel problems or something like that in that box and click the search symbol it will take you to a list of appropriate threads you can follow and start a new discussion there. There are no codes or anything - it stays within this main site. 

The main reason for those codes are to deter spam which can be a terrible problem. A real person will be able to match them (usually at least, I know, some are almost illegible) but the automated spammers can't. 

But you WILL find the right place here - and I have reported your post to a moderator who will be able to put it somewhere suitable but it might take a while since it is the weekend. Then people who use the bowels forums regularly will see it and respond to you.

They are working on the site (supposedly making it new and improved) and it does make things a bit hiccuppy at times so be patient. And when you search a long subject into google it takes the words that appear most - it will have been steroids it picked up on.

However - try following this link

https://patient.info/search.asp?searchterm=bowel+IBS&searchcoll=Discuss_Forums

which is within this site so I can post it and you will get it sooner! I hope it works and gives you the right sort of responses. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Fiona, try these pages  

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/bowel-problems-300

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/bowel-cancer-267

The one is a section on 'Bowel Problems' the second is on 'Bowel Cancer'

Copy and paste your question into either or both of these and I hope you will find help.  And, the following page gives you a list of some ofthe subjects covered

Good luck Fiona!

• Posted

I must have been typing at the same time as Tavidu!!
    • Posted

And me!!!!!! But you obviously thought of giving a link quicker than I did redface
    • Posted

LOL! We were all responding at the same time! At least Fiona knows we are all trying to help. (We are such nice people on here aren't we)?!!!cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.