Continous Flu/Cold Symptoms

Posted , 50 users are following.

My daughter 12 myself and ex husband best friend and sister have all had continuous cold/flu symptoms since Sept 2014. We all been prescribed antibiotics antihistermenes inhalers etc by our own seperate GPs but we all have a continuous cough very bad mucus runny noses electric shock feelings and dizziness and aching joints. Nothing helps. Weve also discovered that our friends and other people we know have this. We are diversely spread across the UK Cardiff Bristol Cheltenham Devon Yorkshire etc. Has anyone else had these flulike symptoms for such a long time?

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My friend and my mam have been like this for months and they can't seem to shake it at all too.
    • Posted

Ive looked on the net to try to see how widespread it is but theres nothing. My GP said he sees many patients every week with the same symptoms but he doesnt know what the solution is.
    • Posted

Not much hope for anyone of us if our doctors can not find a cure mel666 i have had this since before xmas and still far from right so hoping someone comes up with a cure soon as in my case even after antibiotics i still feel dreadful ,so good luck anyone who has an answer  
  • Posted

We are in cumbria and loads of people round here have had it all over christmas and before.
  • Posted

Public Health England reports(9th January) that flu like illness is at a high compared to the last three years. They are recommending that people at risk can still have the flu jab- up take by even at risk people under 65 is very low at 50 %). Viruses do not respond to antibiotics but I guess GPs get desperate when people keep going back to their doctor with symptoms and so will try anything. 

Cannot put a link in here otherwise the system will block this entry....but just type public health England flu in and the report is on their front page.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and pointers if anyone finds a miracle cure please post it we're desperate!!!
  • Posted

we have just started getting over it my partner came  down with it in earlie december he was rushed to hospital and told his white blood cells was not acting the way they was so i dont know if this has something to do with it but he is still been sick during the nights now and sleepy all the time the effects he had while e had the flu bug then i caught it 22nd december im still having problems now too !

im not as bad as i was the first week i had it but i have not gone back to normal my daughter 5 had it firsst in november early and then only managed to get rid of it this month everybody i know has had it now and keep re catching it or the symtoms dont go im from yorkshire 

• Posted

Thank you Steph thats really helpful as some of my relatives are in Yorkshire (Leeds and Hebden Bridge). Im not one for conspiracy theories but I cant believe that theres been nothing on the national news about how widespread this outbreak is and how long it knocks patients out for. My sister in law is a GP and she gets loads of cases and the same faces week after week. My 12 year old daughter is off school today because she feels barely able to move her neck her skin and her joints are really hurting Im taking her to the doctors (again!!!!!!!!!!!!) shortly. My symptoms are a terrible sharp cough and the same aching skin joints neck plus being full up with phlegm which is vile in itself. If the pain could be dealt with it would be something but nothing touches it!
    • Posted

when my partner took my son to doctors he said they was hundreds of patients that week with the same thing im left with weak legs sharp pains in head and vile phelm i hope you feel well soon god knows what it is even my cbt worker had it when i went my friend had the flu jab and still caught it i did find something online saying that its like a flu virus thats related but its making the flu jab not work or something never had anything like it though suppose new illness's start all the time though 
    • Posted

Sounds rough! Hope everyone feels better soon. Here in the States, my city is number three in the nation for having the most cases of the flu. So far I have been fortunate, as well as my children.
  • Posted

Could there be something in your environment that is causing these drawn out symptoms? My first thought was possible allergies.

Dawn

• Posted

The fact that its spread across friends and family around the UK doesnt really make that stand up and that my daughter and I have been prescribed antihistermines too which had no effect doesnt really point to that but yes Ive thought about it. Ive wondered about methane which can cause flu like symptoms or something in our diet. Thank you though Ill try to see if theres any commonality between friends and family and their environment.
  • Posted

I'm not from the UK but from California. However, my wife and I have experienced the exact same symptoms since approximately October 10, 2014. Started with dry persistent non productive cough. 1st Dr. Said a cold. 3 weeks later visited second Dr given prednisone and antibiotics 4 weeks later 3rd Dr. Again gave prednisone and cough med's. Cough ceased for 3 days then returned with more like cold symptoms and productive cough with clear sputum. Still persistent cough, going to Dr. Again this evening... Wish me luck!!!
  • Posted

My husband and I have had the same symptoms since early December, constant coughing, finding it hard to breathe, head cold, muzzy head, neck aching etc. etc. and it lasted until about 2 weeks ago and we both felt ok - as we are singers it was a great relief not having to try and sing through the coughing, we had a weeks respite and we both woke up on Thursday morning with the symptoms back with a vengence, in fact during a coughing fit today I managed to cough up what looked like a piece of lung??? almost solid cream coloured thing that had fine red lines in it, a bit frightening.  We haven't been to the doctors as having spoken to a lot of other people that have similar symptoms they can't get anything done, so it isn't worth bothering, a couple were taken into hospital with breathing difficulties, I think they suffered with asthma as well, I find it really hard to breath and try to do so shallowly to stave off the coughing fit, we are getting through a mountain of paracetamol.  By the way, we are on the south coast of England.
  • Posted

Hi mel1666,

i have read your post and can not believe you have not seen a g p after coughing up what you describe and suggest you go and see a doctor a s a p,as you dont know exactly what you are suffering from ,i know how you feel with doctors but you do need to be seen to sooner rather than later ,i am not trying to frighten you in any way ,but need a mdics advice on what could be wrong ,good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.