Continous Flu/Cold Symptoms

Posted , 50 users are following.

My daughter 12 myself and ex husband best friend and sister have all had continuous cold/flu symptoms since Sept 2014. We all been prescribed antibiotics antihistermenes inhalers etc by our own seperate GPs but we all have a continuous cough very bad mucus runny noses electric shock feelings and dizziness and aching joints. Nothing helps. Weve also discovered that our friends and other people we know have this. We are diversely spread across the UK Cardiff Bristol Cheltenham Devon Yorkshire etc. Has anyone else had these flulike symptoms for such a long time?

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I heard an item on Radio4 Margaret Mcartney saying that there was a definite increase in flu virus incl UK and in particular the US but it was 'nothing to worry about' its hard to accept this given the huge demographic of people suffering from these symtoms. I hope everyone suffering at the moment gets much better very soon and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone whos contributed to this discussion. ps a thin slice of fresh raw garlic clove once a day helps massively but it is very unsociable
    • Posted

Garlic and onions both have the nick name. "God's penicillin" Yes very unsociable! I chuckled when you said that. If everyone else eats it then it won't matter right? Ha!

Dawn

• Posted

It would be great if everyone did wouldnt it Dawn? It really did help though maybe we could start a 'garlic revolution' or maybe it would be easier just to move to France!
    • Posted

I would love to move to France! I think I will begin a garlic revolution in my own home! I am in the U.S. and the flu is big here and my little city is number 3 in our nation for having the most reported flu cases. So I have been hibernating but forgot about. "God's penicillin" ! Full of garlic and onions the crowds would part everywhere I went! Hahaha! My protection would be like wearing a hazmat suit!
  • Posted

I live in the mid western United States & I've had a tickle in my upper chest ,Runny ,Suffy nose , & persistent cough since late Nov. 2014. Been on antibiotics 3 times , Streroids , Taking antihistamines & Mucinex DM ... Lots of drainage ... Can't shake it ... Had chest X Rays & Ct Scans ,(Showed inimitable nodules on my lungs)... Had  Broncosopy , to see what nodules were ...Came back negative for everything ( Luckily including cancer ) Had blood tests & pulmonary function tests done last week ... Waiting on results ... Wandering if this is a widespread virus , My Dr. Is saying it's bad this year  & I know many people that have had pneumonia . Like I read here , I'm surprised it's  not on the news more. The flu shot isn't even good for the strains out there this year...What's frustrating is that there is no definitive diagnosis ...I can only guess " Chronic Bronchitus " 
  • Posted

Hello mel666,

My wife and I have had cold/flu symptoms since Sept 2014!!

GP baffled and antibiotics not effective. Chest x-rays clear.

Cough,gagging, runny noses and aching joints especially

fingers!

How weird. Wife just had 5 days in bed ill. We are sick of it.

• Posted

Hey everyone, just joining in on this post. I had mild flue 8 weeks ago, which I thought had gone but it came back. I am over the worst but for the last week have had what I can only describe as a tight chest and aching joints etc, has anyone had this? I haven't been to the Dr as we pay here in Guernsey! Thanks
    • Posted

hi everyone, I live in Aruba, in the Caribbean. I have the flu for a month already, I have achy arms neck and back, I feel generally bad with lack of energy, I cough a lot, runny nose, stuffy nose all the time, I cough up a lot of green stuff (ewwwww!) especially in the mornings. All of the same symtomps for almost a month. I am the type of person that gets the flu maybe every 5 of 6 years but this time it really got me hard. I have taken lots of paracetamol and advils. Funny thing is I don't know anyone that had the flu a month ago. I hope everyone get rid of it soon. And me too, of course

• Posted

Hello to Mel 666 and all.....

I am joining you from Australia. Going into my 6th week of what appears a very challenging and not so regular run of the mill kind of cold virus.

Ache yes, constantly tired no energy, and that awful virally feeling present in first two weeks. Ears aching, throat sore from onset. Neither have let up.

Secondary infection in throat now present for past 3/6 weeks, dark green mucous.

Any physical exersion or a later to bed night sets the tiredness and symptoms back very quickly. Generally, it has been six weeks of feeling absolutely rotton.

Even with secondary infection present I am not one to advocate antibiotics for myself as resort to overcoming the actual virus itself, as I am by nature extremely health conscious. Nutrition is pure and do not abuse body with toxic substances.

To note - I have had a long term significant Vit D deficiency and think this may have contributed to a compromised immune system over many years as I can not dodge an ordinary cold virus from year to year despite diligent nutrition and lifestyle.

Some lengthy research in frustration of not getting well with this current ongoing virus, I have concluded for myself, in addition to regular general health supplement support of Vit D, C, Zinc, B Complex etc, I am  about to embark on taking a much higher significant dose of daily Vit D.  

Vitamin D plays an enourmous role in the body. Much more than many of us are perhaps aware. Much higher doses are now recognised as safe and in the case of illness, Vit D is indespensible in the function of the immune system.

It is just one little link which may be the right one for many.

I encourage you all to research and explore.

Blessings to all on the path to wellness.

• Posted

I hope your daughter is recovering

I have had the following symptoms for almost 2 years,

ear ache, cold symptoms, difficulty swallowing, cough, aching forearms, general malaise

i have had, antihistamines, antibiotics, chest X-ray, CT scan, inhaler, stronger antihistamines.  I eliminated dairy products for a while too.

Nothing has helped to date. Any suggestions would be really welcome.

• Posted

Hi again everyone

I chipped in two weeks ago regarding this mystery virus, not with any solid solution at that point but a thought to share regarding Vit D and the immune system. I can report however, that after 2 months my dragging energy level has made progress in past two weeks, and the phlegm has all but cleared. Coincidence?

Secondly, in past two weeks in conjunction with higher dose Vit D I have been drinking a significant consumption of quality Green Tea (5 Cups Daily). Green tea is apparently validated as an anti viral, whereby Catechins inhibit viral infection and block viral enzymes. Again, is my progress coincidence due to Green Tea?

Also, not sure if I can mention the name of the product, but a natural cough mixture containing Liqorice Root, Marshmallow, Iceland Moss, Fennel, Plantain and Thyme packs a powerful warm punch on the chest, stops the coughing, and again, as it contains Liqorice Root, is additional anti viral.

Thirdly, every second day I take a tall glass of freshly juiced carrot and beetroot. While carrot juice is not anti viral, it is power packed for the immune and general health.

Since being proactive about getting well and everyday consistance with all of the above, I can say I personally am experiencing a noted difference. I am going upward for the first time in two months instead of continually relapsing.

I do agree this virus is something else, it certainly is no run of the mill cold virus and is going to take some shaking. But I think persistance will pay off in overcoming it if the body and immune system are supported.

• Posted

Hi had this virus last november through to january 2015 runny nose shivers, stomach bloatness, running to loo then it went, now 8 weeks ao started again but different, gagging, headache, stomach cramps, legs like jelly, shivers, sweats, runny nose, sneezing, the only thing i hae found is take garlic capsules every night and loads of vitamin c its a hard bug to kill off

• Posted

Hi there just saw your post you need to be more aware of what is going on with these symptoms open your eyes and see what these people are saying I have had this vile bug twice, the medical profression cannot cure it it is vile, we have to lookk at alternative medicine to get rid - vit c twice a day and garlic in the evening that should kill it!!

• Posted

Hi mel1666,

I do hope that you and your daughter are doing better this year with no return of these symptoms. It does seem to be a bit of an epidemic with more and more people getting this virus. My parents have had it, they live in the North and myself and my family are currently in the throes of it and we are in the South.

Our symptoms are: Achy neck, painful joints, upset tum, thick head followed by more cold like symptoms such as mucus on chest, in the nose and generally feeling  awful. Most importantly though, the darn thing keeps coming back!! It lasts about a week each time.

I have had it at least four times in the last three months and thought I was going bonkers until In read these posts so thank you for sharing. I can't see how a virus can do that, come back again and again I mean but it does seem to and I know that I'm not the only person to notice that. Some times its worse than others too. This fourth bout was a hum-dinger and knocked all three of us flat for a week. It must really hit the immune system hard as it doesn't seem to go away. So, lots of fruit and veg and suppliments for me and mine.

I was feeling guilty about being so sick this year can you believe it but since I found out that the virus floored an aquaintance of ours who just about never gets sick, is a judo expert and usually fighting fit, I realise it really is a nasty thing this bug. I wish you all the very best of luck. Keep warm, slow down and most of all be kind to yourself when it pops up again. 

• Posted

Hi all

its interesting to read all stories of virus but there does seem to be a common theme. The thing keeps coming back

we were wiped out for a week before xmas then felt great for 2 weeks started serious excersising 3/4 times a week healthy eating tons of fruit etc. Then woke up with cold symptoms and now back to aches ,cough,and emptying my nose all day but mainly so tired..

we are in West Country and there does seem to be a lot of people with it and no cure

very frustrating

• Posted

It's almost reassuring to hear of similar situation to myself. It's February now and I've been ill with this on and off since Xmas. During that time I've usually had a persistent dry cough which gradually gets better. But during the last 6 weeks 3 times it has flared back up with the usual cold symptoms: aches, feeling feverish and generally unwell and then the cough starts producing mucus. This last for and few days then the cough goes back to a dry cough and repeats the above again. I had blood tests last week and the doctors said they were fine. I'm 29, male non-smoker and generally in good health but this has really knocked me for 6. Doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

• Posted

i have had exactly the same.started last week in december, now first week of april and not much different.had 3 lots of anti biotics, chest xray and blood tests.when will it end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.