Continuous genital herpes outbreaks dispite surpressive therapy

Posted , 53 users are following.

I contracted genital herpes from an assault 7 years ago. I've always battled with the the occasional mild outbreak, usually around my period time. However, about two years agoI had a huge outbreak, bigger than my first. Since then Ive taken daily alciclovir, as perscribed by my doctors. However, the outbreaks have gotten more frequent. Around October time, I started getting them every two weeks, but since around Christmas, i have lesion, then that heals, then another appears, then that heals etc etc. I'm really at my wits end. Can anyone offer advice?

2 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi 

when I first contracted type 2 7 years ago I found that outbreaks were frequent. Someone told me about a product called Manuka Honey. You can get it from health shops it comes in a small tube like toothpaste. It's very sticky I'd I just rubbed plenty around the area that was infected. Lo and behold very quickly my skin healed and my continuous outbreaks stopped. Manuka honey is natural and it cleaned the sores and they dried out quickly after. I can't tell you how wonderful I think this stuff is. It's not a cure but it has made my living with it manageable. 

• Posted

i might try that one god knows i have tried just about everything else
  • Posted

HI, So glad I found this thread, I too am getting older 48 and for the last 2 months had back to back OB's. When in the past i only got them 2 to 3 times a year its has been very annoying to say the least as i always had it in my head that the OB's would get less frequent as i got older............. sad I wonder if it is the on set of menopause i still have regular periods so i didnt think it would be that but i guess it could be.I also wonder do any of you suffer from fibromyalgia type symtoms. I do and the dr's cant find anything wrong i wonder if that is related to having herpes long term since 19 for me.
    • Posted

I was in the process if being diagnosed for autoimmune diseases, when I got hsv 2. I had severe neuropathy from it and my doc didn't believe me and that only shingles caused what I got, but shingles only does one side of the body, I had severe neuropathy down both buttock and back of thighs. She diagnosed me w fibro as well... I don't have it. I was on meds since my primary ob and then stopped Feb and when I went to do physical activity like an obstacle course or walking around a park for his, I got chronic fatigue syndrome . I can't even hndke an hr n half of strenuous activity before I feel I'm going to just pass out. I'll sleep for 15hrs but I still won't feel right for days. I feel it's cause my immune system was in over drive stopping the meds. So I don't put anything past this virus to be honest.

You're probably in perimenopause right now, which you will have a normal period w that. I would go get your hormones tested and look into bio hormone replacement and see if that helps, that or daily meds. Make sure you soak in lavendar Epsom salt baths everything day when you have an ob, it will heal faster

• Posted

I have never taken the meds for it as so many people say they still get ob's while on them and if they didnt work i didnt see the point but i thinking of trying it now that i constantly have an ob even though they are very mild.
    • Posted

People that it happens w are the exception, not the rule. Yes you make still have break though obs, but as frequent. Plus it kowrs risk of spreading to a partner.
    • Posted

Hi feelbroken.

Can this make u constantly tired? Not been fully my normal self ages.

I have also think had a bad ob now. Think will definitley do what u suggested. only had tingli ng etc and had a lump and more coming

• Posted

Yes, it seemed to trigger chronic fatigue syndrome in me. When I stopped my meds, I did an obstacle mud run and felt a fatigue I never felt in my life. Sleeping 15hrs, it still took me days to recover. 4hrs walking in a park had the same effect. I started my meds back up and have been too afraid to do strenuous activity sense. I'm going to do some this weekend and see what happens.

Are you on daily therapy? If not, I would get on it and see I'd that helps. I have read others having the same problem.

Make sure you soak in the Epsom salt baths during obs daily till they subside. I've been having a bump or two pop up on my buttock since running put of my supplements the last dew weeks, so gotta restock. I have even been experiencing some mild nerve pain in my buttock again and it is uncomfortable to sit on a hard surface, like it was last night, but I also started my cycle, which seems to activate the virus as well. Keep me updated and keep your chin up.

Sorry you're having a hard time, I understand. Hugs!

• Posted

I was saying to my friend that I am feeling constantly tired even when I had a goodnight sleep.

But put it down to not drinking enough. I just struggle and notice last few years.

Another strange thing is before I found out I had GH I had what I thought was thrush. Well a nurse said GH but got me to see doctor who said thrush.So now thinking that nurse was right. The thrush was taking long to clear and had to get more cream.

I had my first ob last december and had tingling, feeling and then thought this not too bad. Then felt weird each day.

Then this week felt sore down there and felt a lump then got worried and realised this felt like first ob. Not as bad but did hurt going toilet.

• Posted

Yeah I remember when you first came on here. So are you thinking you had this longer than since December?
    • Posted

I have been having fatigue issues for years and now pain has come into it but i never put 2 and 2 together before but there seems to be a link as so many of us suffer with fatigue and fibromyalgia type symptoms
    • Posted

Hi curry chic. I am wondering how u r doing and if u have found relief. I have had herpes for 25 years. Always managed to fight it with valtrex. The past few months I am getting back to back outbreaks even on valtrex. I am so depressed and anxious. Could use a friend who understands. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi lisa mine settled down finally and i haven't had an OB for some months now...... touch wood. I understand how you feel i was at my wits end thinking it was never going to settle down again. I a hoping that yours has settled down too. Sorry i took so long to reply but i only just saw your message

• Posted

You are right to feel frustrated. I just had a mega outbreak. Included my hands and wrists but worse on the right side. They act like they know, but indeed they don't know. Funny how doctors talk about something that has no cure as if they completely understand it. Be strong and appreciate every day that the disease is dormant.

• Posted

Hi currychic. Can u tell me how you are controlling your outbreaks? I had a 3 month break but they r back again. More burning constantly then actual outbreaks.
    • Posted

My wife was using lidocaine ointment to help relieve the pain from her OB. She ended up developing a reaction to the lidocaine which was cause constant burning and irritation. She went to the doctors and they told her to stop with the lidocaine and gave her a topical to get rid of the redness
    • Posted

I'm wondering if all these rashes and frequent outbreaks are from the HSV or Ambien or menopause or ??? Something not right. Got neuropathy in both feet too. And yeah I'm so tired I can barely move. In here looking fur some answers. Any updates year ago posters??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.