Copd ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys I wanted to ask a few questions. I'm 29 and have smoked the past ten years. Probably around 12 per day. I recently went through a stressful month and was smoking a lot. The past week i noticed my chest feels really heavy and I'm not breathing the same. When I'm laying down, it feels like I can't breathe normally. When I suck in, my chest feels heavy like I can't pull in. I went on the internet to research and got really scared that it could be copd. I was wondering how likely this is? Exactly 9 months ago I had a chest ct scan with contrast for something unrelated (swollen lymph nodes under arm) and the report said my lungs were unremarkable. Could copd form in such a short time since the ct scan? I threw away all of my cigarettes and will never smoke again. Thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Big possibility, I would have a CT SCAN DONE ON MY LUNGS ,THERES NOTHING TO B SCARED OF REALLY. .I HAVE COPD FOR FOR 15 YEARS THEN I WAS TD LAST YEAR THROUGH A FEV THING ,I WAS IN STAGE 1 WHICH COULD B ANOTHER 10 YEARS OR MORE!I SMOKED 1/2 OF A PK A DAY .I QUIT 9 yrs ago in February! Still have problems at times but it will all b ok!
    • Posted

I'm saying go ASK TO have a CT SCAN DONE ON UR LUNGS,N A FEV 1 TEST DONE!NO MORE GUESSING,I DID N IM GLAD! I HAVE A COPD FOR 10 YEARS,N NOW I'M ON STAGE 2 COPD ! PPL CAN HAVE COPD FOR A VERY LONGGGGG TIME! I QUIT SMOKING OVER 8 YEARS AGO N IM GLAD! SO GOOD LUCK N GOD BLESS U!

• Posted

Did u understand me better? My letters keep on going on caps every little bit, sorry! I hope u find out its nothing major! COPD is major but not deathly....U still have alot of years if it is!!???IF IT IS....No more smoking,Stay on breathing treatments,n stay from smokers around u,My whole family smokes so it can b hard! But remember how it hurts,how stinking it is,costly, n MORE IMPORTANTLY...UR lungs health! Goodnight n sweetest dreams to u! 💓

• Posted

Hiya   well don  for  binning  the   cigs.     If  i  was  you   i  think  i  would  go  and  see  my  doctor.     Sorry  i  cant   really  help  you.    love  and  best wishes  julie   xx

• Posted

My question is though.. since I had a ct scan of my chest done 9 months ago... wouldn't it show some signs since from what I've read copd progresses after many years.

• Posted

It should, but it doesn't. A CT Scan of the lungs will show,I had a Xray done to my chest also n it didn't show anything, then MY. PULMONARY DR SAID I WANT TO DO A CT SCAN OF UR LUNGS N THERE IT WAS!

• Posted

My GP THE Houghton it was my heart also n had several tests done n then my GP said ,LETS have a pulmonary Dr check u out,n he did a chest Xray n didn't show anything, at this point,I thought it anxiety n panic but it wasn't I turned out to b COPD,through a CT SCAN of the lungs! A FEV1 was done also,n it showed COPD stage 2. I QUIT SMOKING LIKE I SAID ,ALMOST 9 YEARS AGO, N USE MY BREATHING TREATMENTS,N IM FINE ,no more choking,no more coughing, n hard breaths taken hardly any of it exists any more!

• Posted

I'm sorry my letters r not coming good at all! The thing is ur GP can send u to a Pulmonary DR to make sure it's not or is COPD...ITs best to safe than sorry! My GP thought in the beginning it was my heart,n I went to a Cardiovascular Dr,n Pulmonary Dr! Stress can do a number on u too! If its a minor thing, Please jus don't go back smoking! It's been THE BEST DESCISION,I EVER MADE! I DONT SMELL OF CIGS NO MORE,NO MORE COUGHING LIKE CRAZY,NO MORE CHOKING HARDLY! I JUS FEEL BETTER! ITS HARD! LIKE I SAID...ALMOST......MY WHOLE FAMILY SMOKES,BUT I GET AROUND IT!

• Posted

Well done for stopping smoking

That's the best thing you can do. I'm sorry I cannot explain your symptoms other than to say that it could be caused by the stress you've been experiencing. However, if I were you, I'd see my GP to get checked over. Not sure whether you can just 'have' a CT scan. This would be up to your GP and if he/she thinks it's necessary. If not, and you're still worried, you can ask for a private referral for CT. I'm pretty sure you'll be offered one if it's necessary though. Good luck and I hope things settle soon.

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure if what I'm asking is being understood. I already had a CT of my lungs done 9 months ago which came back perfect. If I have copd now, would it have showed up 9 months ago when I had the ct scan?

• Posted

Sorry misunderstood, I thought u said,CT SCAN WAS DONE ON THE CHEST? If ur test came back good,Then it's probably anxiety n or panic attacks! Ur right no COPD then! I wouldn't think so either! Ur good for that! So what r u worried for then hon?

• Posted

It's jus stressed! I ask ur GP to give u something for ur nerves if ur still stressful! Stress can cause at of health issues or u can start drinking warm drinks like ..Hot teas,cocoa, or hot lemme n water, or even take long walks! Natural stuff!Did that answer ur question?

• Posted

Hi Wendy, when i had swollen lymph nodes under my arm pits , it was my breasts they were looking at . So i had a mammagram which showed an abnormal node. This was biopsyed the same day. The results came back as nothing to worry about. It didnt explain the nodes though. Just a thought.

​Kepp plugging the doctors for answers. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.