Copd ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys I wanted to ask a few questions. I'm 29 and have smoked the past ten years. Probably around 12 per day. I recently went through a stressful month and was smoking a lot. The past week i noticed my chest feels really heavy and I'm not breathing the same. When I'm laying down, it feels like I can't breathe normally. When I suck in, my chest feels heavy like I can't pull in. I went on the internet to research and got really scared that it could be copd. I was wondering how likely this is? Exactly 9 months ago I had a chest ct scan with contrast for something unrelated (swollen lymph nodes under arm) and the report said my lungs were unremarkable. Could copd form in such a short time since the ct scan? I threw away all of my cigarettes and will never smoke again. Thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wendy, ask about having lung function tests done. These are also called PFTs, for pulmonary function tests. The FEV Charlene refers to measures 1 function of the lungs, but if course there's more than one function. Where I live, the GP would now send you for these tests.

If you go for these, obey all instructions. If they tell you to blow hard, blow as hard as you can. If they say to inhale then hold as long as possible, do it. It is important to work as hard as you can at these tests in order to get as accurate a reading as possible of how your lungs function right now.

You may want to elevate your chest & head more when you sleep. Elevation helps with both upper and lower respiratory issues, temporary & permanent. It is not unusual to feel worse for a while after quitting, especially if stress has driven us into a nicotine bender immediately before we quit. The really important & great thing is that you quit. I quit 10 years ago and still regularly say a thanksgiving for that - helps me remember that I want to stay in that "Quitter!" column.

I hope all goes really well and that you can blow us off cause you don't have COPD or any other big issue.

• Posted

Hi it is very unlikely to be copd at your age,  but not unheard of.   It is usually diagnosed in those who have spent decades smoking. 

It's good you have given up smoking though.

• Posted

Thank you. That is what my friend who is a respiratory therapist said. He said it will probably go away within a month now that I've stopped smoking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.