Copd

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I just been told I have Copd, I am 62and yes a smoker. But my point is why am I so breathless at nearly everything I do. I read that after diagnose Copd patients don't live long 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi ,first thing ,,,,it's never too late to stop smoking ,,,especially when you have copd ,

I'm 69 ,,I was diagnosed 1992 ,,,that's when I stopped smoking ,,for the last 8 years I gave been going to the gym twice a week for an hour ,yes I do get breathless ,,,but I'm loads better than when I was smoking ,good luck ,

• Posted

You're breathless because you have COPD!   You'll last longer and have much less discomfort if you stop smoking.    

How long people last after diagnosis obviously depends on when they're diagnosed:  ie diagnosed early (as I was ) I have time to slow ti down and manage it;  diagnosed late obviously cuts down survival time

• Posted

The answer to your question is quite simple ,,,,,,,

you get breathless doing everything you do because ,,,,,,,

YOU ARE STILL SMOKING ,,,,,,,,,,,STOPPING WILL HELP ENORMOUSLY.

• Posted

9 months have now passed, how are you doing now Carol?

I hope you managed to stop smoking and have been on a PR course.

I hope by now you are managing your symptoms better.

Incidently I haven't smoked for around 12 years and I still get breathless on exertion, its the result of having damaged lungs.

I have improved my lung function over the past 12 years, by stopping smoking, regular exercise and succeeding in avoiding people who may be infected with colds or the flu viriou.  In addition I have managed to avoid lung infections, I've only had 3 lung infections since diagnosis.  There is always a risk of further lung damage with each lung infection.

Smoking damages the lungs more making the diagnosed smoker's more at risk of lung infection, and this is why smokers often deteriorate really quickly.

Take care one and all, hoping we all get through winter unscathed.

For those newly diagnosed, be sure to have your annual flu jab and the pneumonia vaccine, also take advantage of any pulmonary rehabilitation course on offer, stay inside when temperature are very cold or the cold air hurts your lungs, have your room temperature 21C during the day and 18C at night for sleeping.

Check out  more Tips https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tips-know-the-difference-478568

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.