COPD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All.

My name is James and I am 22 years old. Last year I smoked for about 9 - 10 months max ( never having smoked before ) I started off slowly only smoking socially but the gradually progressed to a maximum ( around 3 months in ) of 20 a day. In December I was having lung trouble and went to my GP and asked to have X-rays. They came back clear with just slight evidence of a respiritory chest infection. After this I quit but occasionally over the weekends I would have a few smokes out with friends. I have only been smoking socially occasionally up until now, maybe on average 10-15 a week but the past weekends only about 2-3. I have had some shortness of breath and coughing and it has been worrying. Recently went for another X-ray and apparently its all clear.

Just would like to know what you feel the chances are that I could have COPD.

Thank you so much

Best wishes

James

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nil chance of COPD inmy opinion, but an infection might still be present. It goes without saying that continuing to smoke is insane, and also be aware that sooner later what today are relatively minor infections may become very dangerous and untreatable. Therefore the only sensible thing is if yor present infection does not clear, you must take what steps you can to get rid of it, and also try to avoid the risk of any further infection.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Much appreaciated. I suffer a lot from health anxiety and these symptoms are'nt helping too much. Trying to keep my mind busy as its taking a toll on everyday life.

Kind regards smile

• Posted

Hi it's very very unlikely you have copd.  This very rarely affects anyone of your young ago  Most cases are due to smoking for many years and most people are diagnosed in their 40's and later.   I smoked for 37 yers before I was diagnosed. 

Not smoking is the best way to avoid it so try and stop now.   Please stop worrying x

• Posted

Thank you smile

I"m doing my best to quit completely but I sometimes can't resist the temptation when having a few beers over the weekend. Seeing these posts have definitely had an impact and I will definitely try and stop.

Kind regards

• Posted

Hello James

The majority of cases of COPD are found in people older than their 20s, although symtoms often show up as early as the ages of 30 & 40 years, with people not realizing what they are indicating. According to American statistics only 2 percent of COPD cases involve men aged 18 to 24 and 3 percent involve women in the same age group. The numbers increase slightly for people aged 25 to 44 with 2 percent of cases in men and 4.1 percent of cases in women.

So, yes. you could have COPD. COPD is comprised of emphysema and chronic bronchitis. COPD progresses over time, so symptoms become worse and there is no cure.

In your post you relate that you "only smoking socially" and "have a few with friends" and "I have only been smoking socially.." and "only about 2-3..."

In all those statements you are downplaying smoking.  I am hear to tell you bluntly, that ONLY have one is endangering your life and if you do not stop "only" have one, then you will suffer for it, and suffer badly for it in the near or distant future. Because in one single cig you have into your system over 4,000 chemicals. (that is not a typo)  Lungs are made to breath good air, not inhale poison.  There is no "only" when you smoke~ stop it.

The only manner in which to diagnose COPD is to have Pulmonary Function Test, specifically spirometry.  There are other instances whereby COPD can be caused other than smoking, so if you continue to have symptoms or they become worse you may want to have this test done.

COPD is a result of damage of the lungs. 

You are 22 years old.

Look after them.

• Posted

Lill while I mainly agree with you I think that the fear over smoking even 1 cigarette is putting great anxiety into young minds.   The danger is if they carry on for years then ok,  my advice is always stop while you can. The dangers are of being a persistent smoker, and the odd cigarette occasionally is not going to damage lungs any more than traffic and other pollutants we live with..   We must keep things in perspective.otherwise we end up with a generation of anxious youngsters,  x
    • Posted

Hello hypercat

One cigarette is one too many.

If I instill anxiety over one cigarette, I have accomplished what I intend.

Sounds beastly, I know.

But facts are, there are no safe cigarrettes, no matter the number. And it takes only one to turn into an addiction.

I'd rather a generation of anxiety,as you say, rather than another generation of smoking induced COPD,lung cancers and poor health.

Welcome your opinion as always hypercat and glad you responded to my post!

: ) 

Lill

• Posted

Hi Lil I don't think we want either do we?   Either lung disease or a lifetime of health anxiety.  The poster has not caused any lung problems from the amount and length of time s/he has been smoking.  That's just the point I was trying to make just to reassure him/her. 

Staying a smoker is another issue and I am totally with you on there.  x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply smile

Really has opened my eyes. I suffer from health anxiety so these symptoms are really affecting my everyday life. I will do my best from now on to quit completely and no longer play with my life.

Kind regards smile

• Posted

You are welcome James.

If you have an Android, there is a free app you can get.

I used it along with patches and gum when I quit and it is amazing how well it works!

Get it (called quitnow)  and give it a go...I was so amazed at how much it did for me!

You have a long life ahead of you.

Make the most of it.

I wish I had.

Lill

and if you need any help, message me any time!

• Posted

Both Lill and Hypercat make good points. We former smokers, every one without exception, always regrets ever starting, and the fact that nicotine is incredibly addictive is not sufficiently punched home. It only comes home - too late - when you try and fail to stop.
    • Posted

So very true gbhall.

I have no qualms instilling the fear.  

Because the fear is absolutely justified.

It does not happen often enough.....nor soon enough.

Lill

• Posted

Your scenario says presently you're safe from COPD.  Your DOCTORS should say as much.  But JESUS, why smoke?!?  Clearly, you're not wired for hard tobacco addiction with this profile but that WILL CHANGE and then things will get real fnk nasty.  

When it strikes DO NOT GIVE IN!  Do push ups, walk around the house/the block, do anything but smoke.  San Francisco got it right by passing smoking age to 21.   There is nothing cool or socially meaningful about smoking.  It robs you of life, of smiles, of coherent thinking.  Yes, even thinking.   It's awesome that I'm seeing everyone from acedemics to punk rockers running, exercising and no smoking! 

• Posted

Thank you smile

When I started smoking I was so ignorant. I have now become aware of the real dangers and hopefully its not too late, doing my best now to stop smoking completely. 

Kind regards

• Posted

I hear you James

I was not to bright myself !

Everyone has to do it on their own terms....Mine turned out to be a combination of help...patches for about 3months (used the 21mg to start then reduced down one more and only used a month of those then stopped them), combined with the gum and surprisingly, there was a free app I got for my Android that was invaluable...It recorded ongoing timeline of achievements and I didn't want to ruin my scores!!

They average number of attempts to achieve success is six. And that is what it took for me...Six tries all over a few months...right after diagnosis.

There is a bit of psychology with it as well I found...

Good luck James, you'll never regret it.

Lill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.