COPD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All.

My name is James and I am 22 years old. Last year I smoked for about 9 - 10 months max ( never having smoked before ) I started off slowly only smoking socially but the gradually progressed to a maximum ( around 3 months in ) of 20 a day. In December I was having lung trouble and went to my GP and asked to have X-rays. They came back clear with just slight evidence of a respiritory chest infection. After this I quit but occasionally over the weekends I would have a few smokes out with friends. I have only been smoking socially occasionally up until now, maybe on average 10-15 a week but the past weekends only about 2-3. I have had some shortness of breath and coughing and it has been worrying. Recently went for another X-ray and apparently its all clear.

Just would like to know what you feel the chances are that I could have COPD.

Thank you so much

Best wishes

James

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi James have you posted before on same subject, what you are saying sounds very familiar.

I would say if you xray's are coming back clear be guided by what your doctor is saying.  In addition communicate to your doctor you are still coughing and experiencing shortness of breathe, your doctor may want to test you for anything else which also presents these symptoms.

Check with family members concerning lung issues, Alpha1 antytripsin is hereditary and good to get diagnosed early and this will need to be treated.  If you are Alpha 1 you need to avoid any kind of smoke, smoking, passive or otherwise.

For information on alpha1 antytripsin go here: https://patient.info/health/alpha-1-antitrypsin-deficiency-leaflet

A simple blood test can diagnose A1AT deficiency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.