COPD and sciatica treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

My huband has sciatica pain. Can he take Voltarin or Cataflamor Naproxen? Anyone can give info on best painkillers that are compatible with inhalers?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention my husband has COPD
  • Posted

Did you ask your doctor and pharmacist?
    • Posted

No I haven't. My regular pharmacist wasn't at the pharmacy today. As for asking the doctor, my husband can't possibly get to the clinic as he has a job walking. You don't ask your doctor here, you have to bring him home at a payment, I am afraid. Which I would not mind, but hubby's not so keen on seeing doctors. Thought someone on COPD medications might be able to answer.

• Posted

Lots of folks aren't keen on going to the doctor, myself included. If he's got sciatica, the pain will drive him crazy or it will drive him to the doctor.

I am completely stumped by bringing a doctor "home at a payment." Is that a typo? I am aware that here in the States we don't do phone appointments. If sciatica is a new condition, he probably has to be seen 1st before they'll prescribe anything, including physical therapy.

Good luck.

• Posted

No, I suppose we could have a phone conversation with our GP who visits privately, but we feel that's a bit forward. Unfortunately, we also don't have phone appointments here either. We could go to a state clinic (free) but not quite possible in his situation. Just about dragging his leg to go to the loo etc.  It is a very new condition with my husband, whilst I am a very 'old timer' with sciatica problems, at one  time (20 years ago) very severe. At the moment 4 hourly paracetemol and rubbing Voltarol, waterbottle,  plus massage chair which gives him some relief.

• Posted

Jonah:

Whatever pain meds are prescribed, be sure to ask if they should be taken with food. Even ibuprofen and acetaminophen are supposed to be taken with food.

And even those 2 common OTC meds cause some wooziness in people who've never used them.

• Posted

Each patient should seek the advice of their own doctor because only their doctor knows medical history and what drugs are already being taken.  In UK there is such a thing as a telephone appointment I am sure there could be similar service in the US.  Otherwise do wait to check with the pharmacist, any pharmicst about drug compatibility or check with a drug interactions website.

Generally its know that some pain killers and anti inflammatories can cause increased breathlessness (the reason why best to check with a professional medical adviser).  but also generally paracetamol is thought to be the safest option for COPD patients.

Sciatica is of course a different health issue entirely and not related to COPD and really does need professional advice on treatment.

Patient info Sciatica :  https://patient.info/doctor/low-back-pain-and-sciatica

• Posted

Sorry to hear your husband is in pain.  I have copd and chest pain my dr prescribed tramadol it's an opioid any way it just made me feel a bit drunk, and slightly nausious. Anyway it did nothing for my chest pain and lol it did not even relieve my period cramps.  I only took one and read up on the side effects,  (could cause respiratory suppression and death). Well that was the last pill I took.

ask your dr what he recommends and make sure you know all the side effects before taking the prescription.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Pam, you didn't finish reading about tramadol, & you missed that crucial 1st word:

"CAN cause respiratory distress WHEN TAKEN IN HIGH DOSES"

"CAN" ISN'T SYNONYMOUS WITH "WILL" Yes, if one is stupid enough to take 50 of them at a time, it MIGHT mess with breathing and it MIGHT lead to death. If one takes 50 acetaminophen at one time, that WILL screw your liver.

I have used this pain med almost since it came on the market in the States. IT HASN'T AFFECTED MY LUNGS. Smoke inhalation from a fire certainly has, but that was only 1 years ago.

FURTHERMORE: NOT EVERYONE WHO TAKES A DRUG GETS EVEN ONE SOLITARY SIDE EFFECT. If there are 5,000 people in a drug study and 40 of them report that they each had 1 single mild headache during their 3 months in a study, then headaches - PLURAL - must be listed as A POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECT. Thousands of drug studies are conducted annually where I live, and where I live we have monster allergens in the air year round. It is an absolute miracle if only 40 of 5,000 go even 1 day without a sinus headache around here; at least 10% of the population has a sinus headache at least 200 times annually. So what caused those headaches during the drug study? The tested drug or the local air?

As to your nausea, did you take food with the tramadol? It just isn't that strong a drug. Here in the States it isn't even a Schedule II narcotic, meaning pharmacies don't have to see ID every time it's picked up & the patient doesn't have to sign a second, special Schedule II list at pickup. This is fantastic for folks who don't always feel well enough to pick up their own prescriptions.

If everyone who took a drug.had all the side effects, they wouldn't be listed as side effects but would instead be considered as actual effectiveness of the drug.

• Posted

Hi, thank you all for answering and giving your views. It is all very informative and helpful -  the well-meant advice, helpful in many ways. My husband decided at 3am yesterday morning to call the doctor in the daytime, as the pain was keeping him awake even at night-time. The doctor prescribed a type of codeine phosphate together with pandadol. He could not put him on NSAiDS (non steroidical) as with his heart problems they might trigger a heart attack. He is still limping but hopefully gradually getting better. Thought I might just let you know as you've all been good enough to bother to give your opinions. Well done to this site as one does not feel alone when problems loom. There is always someone there to talk to and a problem shared ......

• Posted

That is good news, Jonah. Not about the pain but about your husband seeing the doc & the doc paying attention.

Physical therapy, which got me to change the way I stand, and using a pillow to raise my hips a bit when sitting helped me. I hope your husband feels better soon and thanks for letting us know.

Thank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.