Copd or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, would you please say your opinion. I have been so many times at doctor. I have made many pef tests and spirometrics. I have problems in breath, some wheezling too. In the mornings, I have cough. It is said that on 15% decrease in FEV only. Some obstruction, but not over some limitations. Asthma has been investigated too, but not found that either.

I have smoked over 20 years but finished it over 20 years ago. I have had some hearth problem, some stroke and stents are installed. Doctors say that at the moment there is no heart problem.  My nails are really gray; I have some over weitght too, but I am active and walk a lot each day.

All my symptoms started after long flu and cought over two years ago. Before that I had have only morning cought, but after the flu wheezling started and problems to breath.  I am 59 years old. Could this kind of flu be some kind of phase of copd? Do you think that I could have this disease.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Xray is taken, nyt nothing abnormal. So does that mean no copd?
  • Posted

Hello Maria

Sorry to hear you have been with this problems for some time. The most specific diagnoses of COPD is usually found with the PFT tests that you have had done. This is usually the results that will indicate COPD is there. COPD can develope even after quitting, and even after many many years. Sometimes asthma and COPD exist together, but I see you have an understanding that there is no asthma.

It is interesting that you have heart problems also, with some stenting,  and it was after this time that you recall becoming more short of breath. Does this short of breath come anytime, or does it come when you are active, as in when you are walking or going up and down the stairs?  Or does the cough come if you go to lie down ? Do you have swelling in your ankles? Or your lower legs?

There are some heart and also some blood pressure medications that cause a person to cough because of the manner in which they work.

the other consideration is that although the flu does not directly cause COPD or is not a phase of COPD, depending on severity , for example, a pneumonia, that could cause more injurty to the lungs and that could be why you have associated that time as being the start of things. This could be the 'wheezing' that you relate to. Wheezing can at times also be related to excess fluid caused by a heart that does not work as strongly as it could.

Has you physician done any chest xrays? Has he reviewed your medications? What medications are you taking? Have you been back to see the cardiologist at all since two years ago?

Lill

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comments. Ýou cannot imagine how happy I am when someone is talking about this with me. My situation seems so confusing. All the time I must do some PEF testing and nothing clear doesn´t come out.

They have taken x-ray and it was normal. In the morning when I must go to stairs it is the most difficult.  And walking out sometimes it is easier, and sometime I have more problems. It is so strange that sometimes I have more power.  Normally I am really tired.  Now I must take inhalator and the I have test again.

I smoked 20 cigarret per day during 20 years. This was a lot I must say. Afterwards I can say that really stupid.  Nothing can do anymore. Cardiologist has said after these symptoms that heart is ok. He did ultra scanning and I have had  treadmill test too. There they said that no asthma, but I had problems with it. >The level was 60% but I don´t know what level. My coughing starts after waking up and during the day I don´t cough. Do you think that this mean something; my nails are almost white, gray.

• Posted

Hi an x-ray is done to rule out other things such a lung cancer or a shadow on the lungs.  

If you have had a spirometry test done what did it show?   You need to ask for your results.  If your lung function (FEV1) is between 90-100% then you haven't got copd.  If it is under that then you might have.   Is this what you  are talking about saying 60%?.  If you are told you haven't got asthma then you haven't.   Similarily if you are told you haven't got copd then you haven't.  I doesn't mean something else isn't wrong though so a CT scan or even an MRI would give a lot more information.  x

• Posted

Hello Maria

I can tell you are so worried. And things are also confusing. Good news with xray being normal.

In relating you have had two stents I would think you have had blockages related to coronary artery disease...often an indication of what the rest of the arteries etc are experiencing in the body. Many of us get a build up of plaque in our arteries and veins and these can be caused by cholesterol etc. and are often found in people who have or who do smoke...indirectly caused.

Perhaps your shortness of breath and the gray colored nails are related to poor circulation. This could also cause shortness of breath..that even though your lungs, may be relatively 'good', but still could have COPD and poor circulation caused perhaps by poor circulation ~ have you had any cholesterol and triglycerides blood tests Maria?

Lill

• Posted

Thank you, You are right, I must ask. They have not said that I have no COPD. They have said heart is ok, and I have no asthma, and treatments continue. So I suppose that they search something,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.