Coping alone after hip replacement

Posted , 29 users are following.

I'm due to have my hip replaced in three weeks. The friend (now a former friend) who was going to move in and help has let me down and everybody else I know is either on holiday or working. Is it realistic to expect to cope alone? I am a single mother with two teenage children. I'm 51 and very fit. I was feeling really positive about the surgery but now I'm dreading it and wondering whether I should postpone it. Any advice on what to expect in the beginning and how bad it's likely to be?

3 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue

Are you in the UK? If so they dont usually send you home unless they are sure you can cope.

Your kids should be able to help a bit.,

Start organising now.....everthing at a level where you can reach without bending or stretching at first. As for the stockings I had to keep them on even though I was sent home with injections {stomach every day} I know people who have had a district nurse come in and help with them for the first few times. They dont come on and off every day {according to my surgeon}

I had a trolly beside me and I had the phone on it, a notebook and pen, some make up {most importantwink} and a mirror. Magazines. You'll think of other things. The OT will give you a raised toilet seat, check your seat for height. Some people talk about a walker. I had crutches...no walker but I was told by someone else to ask for a trolly. {when I had my 1st THR} It was fantastic. I walked with crutches to the trolly, set them down, used the trolly to go into the kitchen to make a cup of tea or whatever and wheel it back again. Or to move things from one place to another, making sure the phone was on it LOL.

You should be able to ask the kids to help you......when they are out they can leave you a flask and some sandwiches covered and anything like that. I'm sure they could do a microwave meal for you at nights.

I found the stairs reasonabley easy once I remembered which leg went first LOL.

I only had my husband going up behind and down in front of me for a day and that was it.

I cant think of anything else ...I'm sure there are plenty of other things...if you think of anything ask

OH.....shopping online...thats good for time. Set theat up before you go in.

I dont know if you have long or short hair but mine is short and I was at the hairdressers {much to my husbands amusement}  the day before I went in.

You can also buy shampoos ...I got mine online. You dont need water so no bending. I sat down on a seat, you squeeze some liquid out of the bottle then lather it, then you towel it off. I didnt think it would work but as an in between hair washings it really helped. Also dry shampoo.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Eek - hair washing and stomach injections too! I guess I will know a lot more after the pre-op thing on Friday. Don't think I get a district nurse as I'm having it done privately on insurance, which is all very well but the hospital isn't local...but not complaining! Thanks for all the advice.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen, Please tell me more about the shampoo that you 'just put on and towel off'' it sounds a great idea, not only for hippies but for anyone older or invalidied in any way.
    • Posted

Hi Jayive

I was just googling  and came across it and thought I would try it.

Its good. Doiesnt dry your hair the same as dry shampoo but you couldnt use it constantly.....If my back is very sore and i cant bend I will use it and it sees me through until the next wash but then I HAVE to wash it properly.

It says on the bottle Nilaqua,that seems to be the name of it.

description is Towel Off Shampoo. No water required, soft clean hair without water.

Instructions ...Apply, massage and towel try

Soft Clean hair without water

Apple fragrence

pH balanced and Paraben free

No sticky residue

Alcohol free.

I'll look back and see if I can find exactly where I got it from.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I found it......LOL   {Your Purchase from Complete Care Shop} Thats where i got it from. I think via amazon.

It was £2.95 but the postage was £3.95eek

It's worth it.......but if you ever saw anything similar in a shop it would be cheaper

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Eileen, I;ll look for it. There's days when life is exhausting, beside my THR I also have MS and so this shampoo might be a god-send.
    • Posted

Hi

I hope it helps you as much as it does me {I'm sure there are other makes as well} I had never heard of this before.

I have OA in lower spine, hips, 1 ankle and neck. I also have kyphoscoliosis which is a C shap curve in your back and sometimes my back aches so much the thought of bending over to wash my hair is unbearable. It would be lovely to go to the hairdresssers each week but cant afford as many times as that frown It tends to be once a month to get it trimmed and blow dried.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about your disappointments. However ~ I sadly am on my own as well. Many folk asked: 'However will you cope on your own!?' I have found no bother at all ~ except when I drop my hadi-helper grabber on the floor. Having no kind lady to pick it up for me I quickly realised that one can use one of one's walking sticks to manoeuvre it about & pick it up on one's own.  the bottom line of my advice is: if you've managed to control 2 teenagers, & look after yourself ~ have absolutely NO concern about your ability to cope after your surgery.  All of the restrictions (no bending past 90 degrees; sleeping on one's back etc.) are a bit of a pain in the backside; but don't last long ~ & you'd need to adhere to them whether you had a bidey-in or no. 

Go forward & start the road to getting your real life back, with no worries.

All the best, John (Ross-shire Buff)

• Posted

Thank you John! Some forums are really gloomy about going it alone but I suppose the people who post on them may have some kind of gripe by nature, or they wouldn't be there. This one is really helpful and positive. We have a grabby claw thing that I can pick things up with/attack people with. Not looking forward to sleeping on my back, though...Sue
  • Posted

so glad you propose to get the kids in training. i would involve them as much as possible and let them know they are needed. we push our kids away far too much. there's a whole new counter philosophy about it. will dig out the reading reference as you'll be able to enjoy reading time....brill suggestions here!

actually i would ask the physio, consultant, nurses anyone you will be conferring with to include your kids and to give them specific instructions eg by demo. look even the intimate wiping your children can pass you a folded flannel dipped in warm soapy water then refreshed for a rinse....really let them gain some nursing skills under your supervision....empower your off spring! 

• Posted

Hi Sue, I am another who will be totally on my own for the first week or so when home. I am a carer for my husband and have persuaded him to go into respite for two weeks, so he will be looked after while I am in hospital and for the first week after, then we have carers in twice a day to help him to bed.

Not quite sure how I will manage but determined to do everything right as I cannot afford for the op to go wrong as I need to look after hubby further down the line.

Trying to get the house organised now so I have everything to hand. I shall also do online shopping. No way would I cancel, it needs doing and the sooner done the sooner things will improve. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Jean, I'm so glad my sister in America found this site . My mum early 80s sole carer for my Dad is just about to see her consultant. My dad is also being persuaded to go into respite for 2 weeks so that she doesn't have to care for him . They currently have no in home help so I will be reading your posts with interest and taking all the advice you offer. I think my mum is going to need both hips replaced within a short time period. Good luck with your op. x
    • Posted

Thanks Polly, just found out our hospital has just started free wifi so may be able to keep in touch a lot more just after the op 
    • Posted

oh no jean ...thats not a good thing....all these EMF's everywhere are so bad for us ..and in a hospital god can't get away from the wretched frequencies.

Would you possibly consider asking your hospital (even if its just on principle so they get feed back about this concern) if they'd provide hardwired outlets? Better for speed too but that wifi thing is a killer and so many schools even infant shools are getting them without regard... worse that mob phone masts.

Sorry to be negative but its my first moan! What do you think about this point about wifi?

• Posted

My first thought was great as I would be able to Skype my husband which would help him cope without me being with him, so never thought of any negative issues to be honest.
    • Posted

oh jean...sorry to disturb. I guess there are consequences....but if hosp could unplug the wifi at night that would make a real difference to the quality of patient sleep. x

Would this be a 'solutions based' approach perhaps?

• Posted

As  a self confessed ipad/ipod addict...is there any evidence that wifi is bad for us?? Guess its the same argument about mobile phones...can't be worse than the withdrawal from gadgets!!
    • Posted

Don't worry Jean....if you google EMF and health this is what you get amongst many others saying its alarmist......

'The expert reviews from more than 30 countries conclude that there is no evidence of harm from EMF'

but then I suppose they said that about smoking!!!

• Posted

I would rather run the risk of EMF etc and have the wifi lol sorry
    • Posted

In the grand scheme of things--particularly when we consider encounters with pit bulls, runaway buses and fast food--I think Skype is a pretty safe bet! Skype on, Jean! 
    • Posted

dear chrissy

thanks for your question ...sorry i didn't see it earlier.

am sure reservations about this new technology won't have escaped you as your comments about smoking show you're not easily taken in....but were these 'experts' from the industry? it  so often happens that they recommend their own product and conduct the 'research' about it.

but anyway this is about jean being able to contact her husband which of course its lovely that you'll be able to do jean. I just think it would be preferable for a hospital to offer hardwired access rather  than adding to the burden of the airwaves with more frequencies. as a former nurse i am becoming increasingly concerned about the unhealthy atmosphere of our hospitals...but thats nothing you're doing jean...so until they get hardwiring i hope you'll be able to enjoy some wonderful conversations with your husband on skype!!

please file my comments under 'food for thought' for another time since improving things is all that we all wish for i'm sure!

f

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.