Coping with Bells Palsy

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 20 years old fairy active and was diagnosed with Bells 2 days ago. I thought I would write about my experience day by day and hopefully people reading this can add in their own experiences as well as people going through Bells at a similar time can relate.

On Saturday I woke up unable to blink and purse my lips. This freaked me out at first but I went straight to researching. I figured it was Bells but I went to get checked out at the hospital. I was given 5 days of steroids and told to make a trip to my family doctor in a few days.

I am on day 2 and I found it very difficult to talk especially saying my "b's". I have read that the 48 hour mark is when Bella reaches its peak. Hoping and praying That things only get better from here.

It is disappointing that I was diagnosed with Bells 2 weeks before Christmas. I am not too comfortable going out in public yet.

I tape my eye shut at night with surgical tape and wear a night patch. I use eye drops throughout the day to keep my eye lunriacted.

I usually wear contacts on a daily basis so it has been a struggle to wear glasses all the time.

Tonight I started to get a tinkly and spazy feeling at the corner of my mouth and eye. Hopefully this is a sign of a speedy recovery.

The most emotional part of this journey is fact That nobody knows how long the recovery will take. Just lots of prayers for now!

I defiantly realized that I took blinking and smiling for granted.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I CAN SMILE AND BLINK AGAIN.

Only good/positive vibes from here!

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been suffering with Bell's palsy for a week now and it's only by the grace of God that I'm getting through

• Posted

Hi there!

I was diagnosed with Bell's palsy on December 30th, just a day before my birthday, about six weeks ago! I went through all sorts of aches and pains possibly associated with BP. Ear, head, neck,face, jaw. I had to go twice to the ER, My doctor told me I had a severe case of BP. I was put on steroids pills three times and twice through IV. I was on pain killers 24 hours a day for the first four weeks. By the fifth Week I was able to sleep better with about half the amount of painkillers I was taking! I am currently on my sixth week and I still have occasional pains and aches, and when I do they strike sharply. The ear still hurts badly especially in the inner mid lining, and is still sensitive to sounds! I get tired quickly but I am able to sleep without meds most of the time now. My face paralysis did not change, I am still unable to frown, smile or lift my eyebrow. However, now I can bear massaging my face. I worry that I won't recover from the paralysis... I hope we all recover and I hope no one experiences bad pain as much as I did. My best to all ??

• Posted

7 weeks and my Bell's palsy symptoms are still at work! My neurologist represcribed steroids, stronger ones this time, for me again. As I said previousely my pain still comes and goes, but today I'm hurting a lot. We are still unable to figure what was at the source of my facial nerve inflammation, and I'm wondering if there could be an underlying condition that is missed (with all this testing and imaging) that's causing that much pain. Has anyone experienced such strong pain for such a long time?

• Posted

I had and now on 4th week of the Bells Palsey. I am not worried about what others think. If they stare then oh well. Now we know first hand how any one with any disfigurement feel! Some people are cruel. I have always been a fighter for the under dig. I have as a job, and a volunteer worked with people with disabilities of some sort. This will pasd, and coukd be a lot worse!
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed Thursday with Bells Palsy and it’s been very depressing. Can’t eat without breaking into small pieces nothing on a bone or burger wise. Can’t drink unless it’s water falls or out of a straw. 

Can’t stop crying out the eye. 

I’m very emotional 😭.

Can you please tell me how long it took to feel normal. 

This is the fourth day and I find  it painful to smile. My ear hurts and it’s very sensitive to noise or people talking like close to me. My face itches and  it’s frustrating when i need to blow my nose and can’t.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.