Coping with my partners depression-any advice?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I’m going to try and keep this as short as possible so here goes...I have been with my boyfriend for 9 months and up until him moving into his own place in November 17 things were great between us. Since he moved into his own place I have noticed him drinking more and more and his mood becoming drastically more depressed. He has always had childcare issues with his ex which I know about and his daughter lives with him and his toddler son spends half the week at his place. He’s gone though some massive life changes in the past 12 months and tbh I’m surprised he hasn’t fallen into massive depression sooner. I’ve tried to support him I’ve been the only person there for him when all his friends and family weren’t and managed to coax him to start seeing a councillor. He’s aware that alcohol is a massive issue but understandably uses it as a crutch daily. I feel as though I’ve been there every single time he’s needed me but he keeps shutting me out for weeks on end. Then once he’s come through the bad spells he picks up the phone and carries on like nothings happened. He won’t talk about it and rarely apologised to me for the nasty things he said etc. The hardest part is that it’s always me he shuts out he acts normally to everyone else I understand he may be doing that to keep up appearances but he’s always sorting other people’s problems out but never wants to know mine if that makes sense? I know he was badly hurt by his ex and has some traumatic experiences in his life that have no doubt shaped him into the man he is today, I’m so proud he’s accepted councilling and I try to be supportive and listen to him but I can’t help feeling like I’m last on his list and everyone else comes before me even though I do the most for him. I do love him and try to be there for him but it’s just so hard at times.

Sorry if I’ve waffled on I’ve tried to keep it as short as possible there’s so much more to say but I doubt if I’d have enough room to post it all!

Any advice would be much appreciated xx

2 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Grace the reason that you wreck your brain and can't figure out what you have done wrong is because you haven't done anything wrong. It's him he's hurting you. He is a street angel and a house b*****d! He's sweet to others and craps on you!! 

• Posted

Adldiane, you nailed it. They are being sucked in, and  smothered , with that bull crap, they need to find happiness, and it’s not with who they are with right now. A boyfriend doesn’t make you cry, or feel worthless. If your not happy time for a big change! 
    • Posted

Hi Yuki I 100% agree! It feels like you're in quick sand and you're never going to get out I think. But they are so young and precious with their whole lives ahead of them and there are men that will cherish them. But first you have to find yourself get comfortable within you and then that right relationship will come along. Diane 

• Posted

I keep thinking I must of done something wrong for him to be so unkind to me, although I realise in reality I most likely have done nothing wrong it’s just him feeling as though I have. I just feel like he expects  me to walk out on him like others have in the past.
    • Posted

Maybe I’m just not what he thinks he needs right now or maybe he’s just going through one of his dark periods,he is totally ignoring me still so I cannot even speak to him about things.
    • Posted

You haven’t done anything wrong Grace. You can’t help someone who doesn’t want to be helped. He probably just thinks you’ll be there when he does need you. Which is nice for him, but not for you.
    • Posted

And sorry, I have written a reply to your previous questions to me Grace. It is waiting to be moderated. 
    • Posted

May I ask if that’s what your bf does to you aswell? X
    • Posted

No, he doesn’t block me out.

He used to and I used to try and contact him (this was when he was drunk and I knew he was probably in trouble). I drove round the pubs and caught him out lying as he’d tell me he was at our house. 

I now just ignore him when he’s drunk as I know things can’t be fixed when he’s in that state and it upsets me. That’s made him want to contact me more! 

Things have got so much better, but not good enough. 

• Posted

Grace stop worrying about him and his wants and needs.  Think about your own.  x
  • Posted

I use to be like him. Hurt the ones that I love. He may need meds. He has kids. That is a very big responsibility. It is stressful. Especially if the mother is giving him a hard time. Does she? He needs professional help. More than what he is getting now. It appears that his priorities are a little mixed up. He must be under a lot of pressure. I feel bad for you because you are getting the brunt of it. Maybe if you try backing off. Take care of yourself first. Do things that make you feel better about yourself. Let him come to you. But worry about yourself you don’t need to feel bad about yourself . Your concerned and caring. You are a good person. Don’t let this get you down.
    • Posted

Carmela and remember it’s not you. Men always turn it around to make us feel guilty. What I say is BS. Work on you, if he wants to get better, he will. Don’t be a door mat for him. Life is way too short. Back off, and find you. Then let him come to you, if you see no changes, slowly back out of it till he gets it’s together! Like I’ve said before, you can’t change them. Change you. Don’t let them ruin your life, go out and live it! Yuki50 
    • Posted

Yes the kids mother gives him a really hard time-she doesn’t collect the kids when she’s meant to, goes missing for days on end etc.  He definitely needs to start on some antidepressants ASAP he’s still seeing his councillor regularly but I agree he needs more help. He’s under a massive amount of pressure and I have now taken a step back and not contacted him for 3 days now. He knows I’m there for him but I’ve realised (through talking to all you guys) that I have to take care of me now-I’ve spent the best part of a year spending all my energy on him and I’m exhausted. So now I’m focusing on me, he’ll speak to me when he’s ready I guess.
    • Posted

I’m trying to do exactly that Yuki-I’m looking after myself for once,I’m trying to distract my thoughts from being all about him and instead I’m focusing on me-what I need vs what I’m getting!
    • Posted

Hi carmela did you get my reply? I have just posted it but it seems to of disappeared 😩  

• Posted

Grace, Awesome. I’m glad your seeing though all the BS. It’s time to take care of you. You can’t heal him , he’s got to want that himself. And I’ve said it a 1000 times, when The roles are turned around men leave, they say too much drama, and bail. Well guess what , there not your kids, and he’s making no effort to want a relationship. No more time be wasted on him. Put your self first. Which he should be doing is putting you first. Go out and have fun, and try new things. And if you have something planned and he calls, put him on the back burner. Make him crawl, your a great catch, believe me raising someone else’s kids, oh hell no. That man should be worshiping you. I’m proud of you. Keep up the good work. Remember to make you happy. Your new life has started go live it!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Yuki, I got a bit emotional reading it!  Every day that I don’t hear from him the less I’m starting to care, if I matter that much to him he should of contacted me,just made a small effort to keep me in the loop. But if he wants to play it out like this then bring it on I’m going to go out with my friends,laugh and smile without a tear in sight because he obviously doesn’t appreciate a single thing I have done for him and I am worth so much more than that. It’s feels like my rose tinted glasses have fallen off and I’m seeing things for what they are for the first time. And when he does contact me he’s in for the shock of his life cos like you say Yuki I will not be rushing to his side I will not drop everything for him-even if I’m not busy I won’t let him know that-it’s about time he gets a wake up call from me: I’m not his doormat I’m a strong woman with so much to give and it’s his loss! 
    • Posted

Hi Grace,

I’m really glad that you are feeling more positive and have a good plan in place. 

Go you! 

• Posted

Way to go Grace! Way to go! I am so happy for you. Diane. 
    • Posted

It’s I did receive your reply and thank you. You are doing the right thing by letting him come to you. Keep it up. Keep yourself happy? Take care of yourself first at all times.
    • Posted

Hi Carmela 

I’ve done exactly that-it’s now time for some well overdue selfishness from me! How are you? X

• Posted

Hey Becki 

Thank you for your lovely message-we have decided to split up and although I’m really hurting I know it’s for the best. How are you doing with your boyfriend? X

• Posted

Thank you for all your support and advice Diane. How’s things with you? X
    • Posted

Hi Grace,

I’m really proud of you to make that decision and see the positives. 

I really hope that you find a nice guy that will treat you right and deserves you. 

I’m not really sure what’s going on at the moment. 

I’ve told him that he needs to get every bit of help possible for there to be any chance. I’ve been trying to keep my distance as much as possible in the mean time. X

• Posted

Hiya Becki 

Thank you so much for your lovely message, I’m managing okay although I do miss him like hell but I’m mourning the ‘old’ him-tbh I barely recognise him as he is now. We’ve spoken a little about him repaying the money he owes me etc but the conversation quickly turned back into him-all the problems he’s been having etc etc so I kinda cut our text conversation short as I cannot cope with his self pity act anymore,I feel mean saying it but it’s true.

How’s your situation? Any progress? X

• Posted

Hi Grace, 

I think that’s my problem, he used to be my perfect man! I just can’t get my head round how he can change into this person who thinks he needs drink to function but it makes everything worse for him-his ocd, anxiety, debt, not going to work. I just don’t understand!!!!

I have now told him he can choose to give up the drink or me and I’m not talking to him or seeing him for a while as we had an agreement that he wouldn’t drink when he was with me. He’s already broken this agreement at least once and I’ve hardly seen him! This weekend he asked if I wanted to go out with some friends in the morning (he never usually wants to go anywhere or gets up that early as he says he feels ill) I said yes, as long as he didn’t drink. He said he wouldn’t. I got ready and when I was ready to go he said he’d had a drink!!! So I didn’t go. He said well at least I told you!!! 

That’s not the point is it. 

So yea, not great. 

I feel like I want not ever find anyone who will accept me for me like he did. But I know that I don’t want this. 

I think it’s really good that you are/have been so strong. I really wish I could do the same!!!

Keep up the positivity smile x

• Posted

Hey Becki

You can be strong you just have to dig deeper and find the strength/resilience that you never knew you had! I totally understand about you missing the ‘old’ him as that’s the man you fell in love with but it sounds like the new him isn’t going anywhere soon and you certainly sound heartbroken to me and only you can change that because he’s certainly not making the effort to change his lifestyle? I know if you guys did split they’d be loads to sort out like the house etc but you deserve happiness and I think you know that means finishing the relationship. Sending you lots of love Hun x

• Posted

Hi Grace,

Thank you for your reply. 

I hope that you are feeling better now that a week or so has past. 

I still feel in limbo but I know that it’s going to come to an end either way. I’m keeping my distance and both me and his mum have told him that he’s got to be serious about getting the help he needs and try to get better or he will lose everything and will have to sell the house. 

We will see. But I know that this is not going to be my life and talking to you guys has helped me realise that. 

Thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.