Coping with nausea after starting citalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

Now had 4 doses of 10mg which I take at 9pm. Does anyone else have awful debilitating nausea? I find it so difficult to cope with - any tips anyone? I am taking cit for anxiety which mainly presented as nausea and inner restlessness. I'm not enjoying or looking forward to anything anymore cause of how I feel - anyone else in the same awful position. Going to have to take more time off work too! Anyone got any encouraging words cause so fed up.

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Checking in.... How are you? I hope well.
    • Posted

Thanks for caring ! Yep anxiety is truly awful and as I'm not sleeping well it starts early, it does seem to go by lunchtime as a general rule so perhaps some slight progress and I'm managing to cope with a bit of company now. Still get slight nausea especially if in car and like you Victoria I've got no appetite whatsoever.

Still having a bit of diazepam on a morning but I feel so panicky with the anxiety I find that one of the hardest things. I'm on my 16th tab tonight so hoping for a turning point soon - what do you think !!

• Posted

I think you're right. You'll have more better days (-: I'm sure.

Yes, anxiety is terrible.

Like you the mornings are bad but I think that's because we are afraid what the day will bring. It does get better though. Just try to ride it out.

I downloaded Roberta shapiros hypnosis and meditation from I tunes. That really helps me a lot. I recommend it highly.

• Posted

Hi Melissa hope you're doing OK. I've got Samsung so can't find that hypnosis app you recommended - any other ideas xx

• Posted

Yes, I agree. It isn't easy but I can tell with your posts you're getting better every day. You'll be feeling better before you know it and this will seem like a distant memory. Just keep thinking that this will pass. You'll be okay.

You're doing all of the right things. This is temporary. Good luck.

You can stop the diazepam once you're stabilized. It's okay! Just focus on feeling better.

• Posted

If you go online I'm sure you can order it. It's really good.

• Posted

Well I'm 26 days in and I'm still suffering with the anxiety. The nausea isn't quite so bad but still not eating a great deal. I was really hoping by now that I would be starting to notice some improvements but I'm getting waves of anxiety during the day now, which had subsided last week. I'm even tempted to take a diazepam but I really don't want to go back on those.

• Posted

Take one vicky just for some relief ! Do you get the anxiety any time of day . I get it first thing then I'm finding it a going before lunch x

• Posted

It did wear off by midday, but last couple of days it's been more constant throughout the day. Took beta blockers today and they seem to have levelled it out. Going to try over the weekend to take the bb regularly and see if it makes a difference.

Nearly 4 weeks now surely things should improve soon?

• Posted

Yes they should, Victoria. And maybe now you have found the right combination with the beta blocker. I think it is a little bit of trial and error with anxiety. (-:
    • Posted

I didn't find beta blockers really made much difference, perhaps it was cause I didn't take them regularly

• Posted

I never took them but I would imagine you're correct. I'm sure they have to build up in your system before they start working?

• Posted

I just don't get how symptoms can subside in the evening and feel normal at bedtime then wake up feeling so crap?

I can't wait for the day that I don't feel so sick and not able to eat. This is really getting me down now xx

• Posted

ive just come across this forum and it has been very helpful. just wondering how everyone on here is doing now as it is 4 years ago. im on week 3 of citalopram and its made me feel really rough. Trying to push myself just to have a normal day but always end up

on settee having to rest as side effects are getting to me.

How long does this go on for?

Anyone can give me some hope as feel on my own with this? x

• Posted

Hi! I started citalopram 2 weeks ago after swapping to it from sertraline. So far i've had an awful time too. I don't get out of bed as i feel too ill and shakey - i leave a sick bowl next to my bed everyday even though i'm rarely ever sick. I've seen so many good reviews on it and lots of other people saying their side effects were similar so im gonna stick with it. I might try get some anti nausea tablets

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.