Coping with nausea after starting citalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

Now had 4 doses of 10mg which I take at 9pm. Does anyone else have awful debilitating nausea? I find it so difficult to cope with - any tips anyone? I am taking cit for anxiety which mainly presented as nausea and inner restlessness. I'm not enjoying or looking forward to anything anymore cause of how I feel - anyone else in the same awful position. Going to have to take more time off work too! Anyone got any encouraging words cause so fed up.

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can feel the anxiety in my tummy, starting to think this is what is making me nauseous now rather than the citalopram. How can I stop it because it starts as soon as I wake up?

I've got an appointment with a counceller this afternoon, here's hoping she has some tips to help xx

• Posted

Hi Victoria

Just wanted to chip in wink

When I recovered from my anxiety / depression many years ago it took around 6 months, with each month getting easier and easier.  Early morning anxiety, right in the pit of my stomach, was the worst thing for me and I woke up with it every day with a 'here we go again'.  I got to learn that his wasn't an indication to how the rest of my day panned out as often I'd feel well by the evening.  

Slowly this nice feeling spread so I'd begin to feel well by late afternoon, then early afternoon, then the morning and finally I began waking with no anxiety.  It was weird at first ..... I sort of went looking for it biggrin

Recovery crept up so slowly I hardly noticed it happening, and I still got blips every so often.  I began to see a pattern, and started looking forward to my 'well' evenings / afternoons etc.  

You can't just stop the anxiety, so maybe for now try and accept those mornings will be hard, but they will stop one day.  Exercise is good as it helps burn excess adrenaline, so how about going for a walk when you get up - just around the corner.

Ginger ale is good for nauseau.  When we were on a cruise in really rough seas 2 years ago and my hubby had dreadfrul nauseau for days (I was ok-ish but fighting it), we were advised to drink half the glass, have a good burp, sorry redface ... and then drink the rest.  Within 15 mins the nauseau had gone!!  The cause might not be the same for the nauseau, but its worth a go.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Kate thanks for your post. That's exactly how I feel. I just hope it doesn't take 6 months cause I'm not sure I can keep feeling like this for much longer. I'm hoping once the citalopram kicks in that it's more bearable so at least I can get back to work.

Most late afternoons and evenings are ok so that's keeping me going. Today is just a bad day

Xx

• Posted

I know how you feel - sad

6 months was my recovery time, and we're all so different.  I doubt it'll be that long for you, though even if it did last that long for you it won't be bad all that time as it'll ease month by month.

Every evening my body would relax and it was such a relief.  Like you, the thought of my evenings kept me going and eventually I began to realise I was actually getting better especially when that good feeling crept earlier into my day.  

2 years ago my son had a breakdown (exactly the same age as when it happened to me).  He was put onto Fluoexetine (another type of SSRI) and he went into meltdown and couldn't work for 4 months.  We helped him go out for walks, got him interested in music, watched him crash time and time again and shared many tears together ...... but I saw the pattern emerging as I'd been through and sure enough he came through it all.  Took him 9 months (again please don't worry about his timescale) and I remember when I heard him whistling at home once I knew he was well on his way to recovery.  He's been well now for over a year and has come off his meds.  He's back to normal, has a girlfriend and is always out and about.  I'm now glad I had the experience with anxiety / depression as it helped me help my son wink

It is tough, and I had many a time where I wanted to give it up, but I kept going.  I know you'll reach that end gaol too.

K xx

• Posted

I feel like I'm going backwards the last few days have been awful. I'm so fed up feeling sick, wretching and anxiety raising again. Is this normal?

• Posted

Hi victoria I was wondering how you got on with the counsellor? Like you I've had an horrific couple of days with anxiety, my gp will be fed up of me but I was desperate and resorted to valium cause I was just beside myself. Also I've only being getting 2hrs sleep a night so he prescribed some sleeping pills. Although I was still awake at 1am I did get back to sleep. I'm exhausted today but anxiety feels much better just hope it continues! How are you now?

• Posted

Meeting with counsellor went ok, just an introduction

And I cried through most of it!

I just don't know why I've felt so much worse the last few days. The nausea and wretching has increased so much as has the anxiety. I'm not sure it's the cit or just my anxiety manifesting itself. Getting through each day is getting so hard. Surely this drug should start taking effect soon?

• Posted

Hang in there. It will start working. You'll be okay. I know it's rough.

I hope you both are feeling better soon. I'm feeling a bit better so it's coming!! I'm 17 days in.

• Posted

Hi Melissa glad you have been feeling a bit better. I had a horrible day yesterday felt sick all day and couldn't even manage a protein shake.

Last night I listened to some meditation and fell asleep on the bed but I still managed to sleep through the night. Woke up about 6am put mediation on again and dosed on and off for a couple of hours. Today I've just felt wiped out, anxiety is there so took a beta blocker which the knocked me out for a couple of hours.

I feel so weak, probably because I'm not eating. Nausea not as bad today but tummy feels shakey. Feel like I could sleep for a week!

3 weeks on the citalopram now and I'm worried they aren't going to work. I'm so desperate to feel normal again xx

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it's starts working for you soon. I know for some people they say 4 weeks is when it takes effect so hang in there. You've come this far. If you're still having problems reevaluate the dosage with your doctor. I know they say 20 mg is the therapeutic dose? Although 10 mg did it for me. I'm over 60 so that's may be the reason.

I've had bouts with anxiety since my teens and it does get better. Trust me on that! You may feel like you'll never feel "normal" but you will.

I hope you feel better soon (-:

• Posted

Hi Melissa I've been back to dr to see if they could give me anything for the nausea but they can't said it all interacts with citalopram! Had a reasonable afternoon and evening yesterday and even managed to eat something small. Back to usual anxiety and nausea this morning though!

I've got an appointment for acupuncture this afternoon, let's see if that can help. Never had it before so not sure what to expect.

I just want this horrible feeling to go, the anxiety on waking is constant until later in the morning I'm so hoping the citalopram starts working soon xx

• Posted

It's seems we all have the same symptoms!! Well, except the nausea. I don't have that.

I just think it takes a little bit to start working. I'm as exasperated as you.

I hope your acupuncture gives you relief. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Hang in there (-:

• Posted

Hi Melissa the acupuncture went well yesterday and the lady was really positive, going for another session on Monday. I just hope it helps! I'm doing everything I can to try to sort this just wish I felt like I was getting somewhere. I suppose the nausea has be slightly less today but been getting waves of anxiety, need to switch my brain off to it cause once it's there it's like I talk myself into it.

How are you getting on? Hope all ok?

Vx

• Posted

That's great, Victoria. Sounds like you're on your way to feeling better. You are doing all of the right things. Just remember you're important and you will get better.

I feel a lot better today. The anxiety seems to be getting better. I should have just kept taking my medicine but you live and learn!!

Yes, the trick is to stop listening to ourselves. It isn't easy to shut your brain off. You just have to try and rationalize the thoughts. Not so much shut them down because then it comes back worse. Most of our fears are irrational. Just have to remember that (-:

Hope tomorrow is even better!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.