Coping with nausea after starting citalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

Now had 4 doses of 10mg which I take at 9pm. Does anyone else have awful debilitating nausea? I find it so difficult to cope with - any tips anyone? I am taking cit for anxiety which mainly presented as nausea and inner restlessness. I'm not enjoying or looking forward to anything anymore cause of how I feel - anyone else in the same awful position. Going to have to take more time off work too! Anyone got any encouraging words cause so fed up.

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Today has been a mixed bag I suppose. Usual wake up, panic, wretch! Didn't feel quite as sick after taking the cit but the anxiety was definitely more prominent, especially with the hour wait at the Drs. Dr prescribed beta blockers propranolol, didn't take one till later in the day and tbh don't think it did anything. Not convinced these are something I really want to take especially as the information leaflet has no mention of anxiety on it.

Not felt too bad this evening but dread going to bed and having to wake up to the terrible panic. Maybe tomorrow will be the day it doesn't happen lol

Xxx

• Posted

Hi again Victoria

I don't find beta blockers make any difference, from what I understand they work by slowing the heart rate but do nothing for restlessness and that terrible agitation. My nausea has lessened thank goodness but like you say the main problem is on waking.

Hope today is a better one for you. Did you say you had some valium cause in these early days they are really useful for emergencies. Let me know how you get on. At least we know it will pass it's just a matter of when!

• Posted

Hi how are you feeling today? Yesterday was a much better day for me, I had the usual nausea in the morning but by lunchtime I felt it subsiding. The afternoon was great I even managed to eat some toast! It was lovely to feel more normal.

Today however has been awful, the sickness hadn't left me and I've felt so tired. I've felt so nausea all day it's really floored me. I was really hoping that I was coming out of the side effects xx

• Posted

Hi again Victoria,

I had a truly horrendous day yesterday with terrible restlessness and inner agitation I was beside myself and dreading how today was going to be. After the usual early morning anxiety it's been a better one for me. Got some reassurance from gp about taking the valium as don't want probs with that but she says I'm in the right track. Sorry today has not been so good for you. Have you got some cyclizine from the gp for your nausea it's really helped me loads x

• Posted

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday, but glad you got some relief today.

I'm fed up with feeling like this, the anxiety isn't as bad but it's the nausea I'm struggling with. Do you find the cyclizine helps? I've not tried it. X

• Posted

The cyclizine has help me massively and only need a very odd one now. I've still no appetite at all and lost loads of weight but I'm not Gipping every time I look at food ! At least the horrible nausea has shifted - get some if you can. It's been the agitation for me which has been so distressing and difficult to deal with, not wanting to talk or being able to focus or concentrate. I'm off work sick again which is not good. GP says these side effects should only be transient so I'm hoping they'll be over and done with soon - until they up my dose !!! X

• Posted

I'm just so downhearted after feeling better yesterday afternoon. I know I need to keep going with it but it's so hard. When you feel sick all the time it just takes over everything doesn't it? I'm trying ginger tea which is bloody awful and my daughter has just bought me some herbal nausea tablets. Surely my body should be starting to accept it now after 2 and a half weeks and the side effects subsiding? Sorry for going on xxx

• Posted

You're not going on at all , nausea is debilitating and affects everything you do. Have you lost weight too cause everyone seems to when they start citalopram? See if you can get some cyclizine on prescription I would have been lost without them. It all drags you down after a while doesn't it and you dread what the next day will bring. There will be a turning point soon x

• Posted

It's about the same amount of time for me too, Victoria. It will get better. Keep thinking that (-: I'm going through the same. Well, not nausea, that went away. The anxiety.

I know what you mean you have a good day and bam the next day is lousy. You have to think that the good days every day are coming.

Xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Melissa I think if the nausea went I would be ok and able to deal with the waves of anxiety that I get. Surely after 2 and a half weeks these side effects should be starting to subside by now?

I need to be able to eat, all I'm having is a protein shake and I've lost a stone in weight. Xx

• Posted

What does your doctor say? Maybe your system needs a longer time to adjust to it? Maybe they can give you something for the nausea. It helped gerrymoo. I hope it subsides soon. Good luck.
  • Posted

Grr getting so frustrated with this now.  Advice though, ginger tea is disgusting!  Day 18 now and I just want the nausea to go.  I'm now unsure whether the nausea is a side effect or its my anxiety?

Melissa and Gerry how are you feeling today?  Hope you are having good days?

Whilst yesterday was truely awful, I'm not feeling too bad this afternoon, hoping I will be able to manage a piece of toast later (woo hoo).

Wishing you both a good day xxx

• Posted

I'm glad you're feeling better today. That's always encouraging. So far it's good today. I'm in the USA, it's morning here.

Maybe pepto bismol? That's what I used. It helped.

I know what you mean about the tea!!! Ugh. How about ginger or peppermint hard candy.

Good luck!

• Posted

Had the most terrible day with anxiety. Feel shattered now so just hope I sleep OK tonight and that tomorrow is better !
    • Posted

I hope you feel better tomorrow. Stay away from caffeine too. There was a show on PBS about anxiety last night. I don't know if you're in the USA. It had a lot of advice. It's called the healing mind with Martin rossman. You can look on the Internet.

• Posted

Hopefully you will have a better day tomorrow and remember today has been another day ticked off towards recovery.

I dread going to sleep because I feel OK in the evening and don't want to wake up feeling sick again.

Take care xx

• Posted

Melissa I will have a look online see if I can find it, I'm sure it will end up on you tube at some point! Like Gerry I'm in the uk.

Agree with the caffeine, I went to a coffee shop yesterday and asked for a decaf but they gave me a regular coffee and I nearly passed out xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.