Copper coil / IUD insertion review 2015

Posted , 42 users are following.

I feel there is an unfair amount of negative reviews of coil insertions online. I had mine fitted two days ago now, but the week leading to my appointment I was torturing myself by reading every insertion review and account, especially of those childless. So come the fitting, I was extremely nervous and on the verge of changing my mind. Afterwards however, I felt extremely liberated and empowered, and realising there is an unbalance in reviews I thought I'd share my experience for anyone else that is considering the coil and or is very worried - like I certainly was! I know that every body is different and reacts in different ways and that I can not speak for every women.

The facts;

5'2", 21 years old, childless

T-Safe CU 380A QL - model of coil

Insertion two days after period

Took boots own ibuprofen and codeine tablets 1 hour prior

Numbing gel applied by doctor

The thought of pain was my main hold back, so my first question to my doctor was if a local anaesthetic could be an option (no one told me it was before in all my build up appointments). She said I'm more than welcome to one, but she would advise the numbing gel instead, and that the local anaesthetic is always there if I change my mind or becomes too painful.

I think this is extremely important, and that while we are so medically advanced we should not have to subject ourselves to pain if we do not need to.

I took her advice (she has been fitting them for years), and with the comfort of a local anaesthetic being ready to hand and full trust in my doctor, I didn't need it at all - to my surprise!

Now the pain - well, there was none. It was uncomfortable. You're held open, then numbing gel is applied so you're wet and sticky, she then held my cervix, used a long stick looking instrument to measure the length of my cervix, checked how I was coping, then swiftly interested the coil, cut the threads and I was done. Within minutes, and it was definitely only a few seconds when I had anything going up my cervix.

Don't get me wrong, I felt it, but not painfully, and it made my toes curl up, but it wasn't anything I couldn't manage again. I've a small white tattoo on my ribs, and that was much worse. As everyone describes, it's like a period cramp, but it somewhat travels up, so you can almost guess what's happening but not quite.

I just concentrated on my breathing, and told myself if most other women can do it, then so can I. However, I don't know if I would have been just as brave without the painkillers or numbing gel! But girls, you can have that too, and with a local anaesthetic if you wanted!!! - I can't stress this enough.

I was fine to drive myself home afterwards, I was aware of the cramps, like the pressure on your womb you get during a period, and a little light headed (I justified some sweets at this point haha), but again nothing I couldn't manage! I used a pad for the slight bleeding too, and didn't need any more painkillers after the first two.

I couldn't believe how easy it was, and I'm ashamed at how it isn't made abundantly clear to women that pain relief is readily available! Had I known, it wouldn't have taken me two years to pluck up the courage.

I am now hormone free (amazing!!!), free from mood swings, weight gain, spots, the list goes on! And I do not need to worry about contraception for 10 years. 10 years!! I simply check that there are two stings coming out of my cervix now and again. My boyfriend isn't bothered by them in the slightest either. He has only gone looking for them out of pure curiosity! Other than that he cannot feel them, and is just glad that I am hormone free, and happy.

It astounds me that this isn't a more widely used form of contraception. And I think that is mainly down to the idea of the insertion pain, and being squeamish of the T shape left inside. However I would rather that, than pump my body full of invisible chemicals.

I hope this helps someone, and I also hope you're as happy and as liberated as I am with a copper coil. I've already had some girlfriends convert!

L

4 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is a great discussion, and thank you for strating it!

I've had the Mirina Coil fitted for 4 1/2 years, due to be changed in January. .. it's the best thing I've ever done! I haven't bled once, had no pain, no cramps.

Before, the pain made me immobile, I was really really heavy and couldn't go anywhere.

Thankfully I didn't read anything on the www, if I had, I wouldn't have had it fitted. It was my sister who suggested it.

I took a little longer to do mine as I have a miss shaped cervix, twice it kicked it out! So 3 were used all together, eventually it stayed in and I'm so happy!

I would totally recommend this coil. My 18 yr old daughter is now going thru the same agonising discomfort as I did, so now she's looking to get it fitted too... she is presently curled up in a ball next to me crying in pain, and there's nothing I can do but give her TLC. It's heart breaking, when you know exactly what she's going thru and also what could potentially stop it!

• Posted

I'm so glad! More people with positive stories need to come forward! It's unfortunate when only the negative reviews are told, when the actual reality is so much greater!

I hope everything goes well with your daughter smile I'm still so happy with my decision!

• Posted

Hey Lillian,

I would love to get an update on how you're getting along with your copper coil smile I've been on the pill since I was about 14 due to very heavy and painful periods, so I've never really had what I would call a 'natural' period in 8 years! I've also tried the injection and implant which didn't agree with me. The pill for the most part works very well for me, I don't suffer terrible with acne, haven't noticed any significant increase in my weight, I get headaches sometimes but because my blood pressure is fine this isn't a concern to the nurses, and it controlled my periods made them less random, lighter and less painful. So right off the bat I can imagine my experience may greatly differ than yours with how the coil might affect my periods- it's simply the convinience of having a long acting contraception that I don't have to think about that's making me want to change my mind, and hoping that my moods would improve without hormones.

As with most contraception, I know that most symptoms SHOULD subside within 3-6 months and now that you're way past the mark, could I just ask how you're finding your periods now and if they are still irregular? Or if they're at all longer? I remember my average cycle was between 4-7 days, though unfortunately with the implant I randomly bled 28 days of the month- maybe stopping for 2 days at a time before it would all start up again- and I just really don't want to have a similar experience where my bleeding is all over the place. This in itself would be a big factor to having 'mood swings' even without those evil invisible hormones haha.

I would also like to ask if you found that your breasts got smaller after stopping the pill? I'm a DD and having been on the pill so young I don't know how much of this was my natural growth or how much of it was thanks to the pill, as stupid as it sounds, it would really knock my confidence if I got significantly smaller after coming off of the pill haha!

Anyway sorry for the long interrorgation! I'm just really trying to make my mind up because I'm two ways about the idea of bleeding a lot and having to worry about my pill!

Thanks!! smile

• Posted

Hey Chloe, don't worry about all the questions! Easy enough to answer smile

As for an update, my periods aren't 100% settled but they are nearly there! They're about 34 days apart rather than 28, but they're only 5 days long and very predictable (1st day light, 2nd regular, 3rd & 4th heavy, 5th spotting). Still not much in a way of pain, I can feel a light pressure 1 day before I'm due, but I can receive waves of cramps when heavy, however still no need for paracetamol, although sometimes I do need to stop what I'm doing for a split second (a welcomed excuse for eating chocolate in the bath). I have also found myself to be a lot calmer, definitely less mood alteration - it's actually scary to think I was taking somethings everyday that changed me as a person. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't awful, but it was enough for me to notice the change smile.

So you know, I am not a health profession and I can not give professional advice! But as a fellow girl that's done a lot a lot of research, have you considered the mirina coil? I only ask because you mentioned heavy and painful periods. Although only slightly, my periods have increased both in pain and flow to that of my 'natural' period. I believe this to be very typical and expected from the copper coil; statistics would say that the same would most likely happen to yours too.

I know you said you wanted to be hormone free, and the mirina does have hormones in it, but I believe it's kept 'localised' within your womb and does not effect the rest of the body. I'm not entirely sure how this works, but people do seem convinced it does; maybe worth researching? With this coil you would still get the same level of protection and liberation!! Actually, potentially even more liberation because it completely halts your periods all together. This could also be appealing?

As for breasts, I have to admit I'll be a really unfair case study! During the time of insertion and coming off the pill I was changing my life style at the same time; eating healthily, going to the gym most days (weight lifting, not cardio) etc. Although I stayed the same weight, and could still fit into the same clothes, I became less 'soft', and more toned, going from a 30E to a 28DD. So yes, my breasts went down two cup sizes. But I'd have 100% lost fat off them from going to the gym since I lost it all over my body, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how much would have been down to the pill/coil alone... My gut feeling however is that I don't think it was down to the change at all really, a cup at most.

I hope this answers your questions smile ask any more you can think of! I feel that the coil is a hidden gem that should be shouted about! But I would have a closer look into the Mirina coil too, no periods, localised hormones, and 5-10 years no fuss is still pretty awesome!

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your answers smile they were very helpful. I spoke to my nurse who put in and removed my implant about the mirina, she said it was the same hormomes as implant so would affect me the same way in the fact that I was bleeding all the time. I'm also very hesitant because my friend had the mirina and put on a very considerable amount of weight and her mood swings were borderline bipolar! After 3 visits to the doctor, twice of which they turned her away, she broke into tears begging them to remove it, saying that if they didn' she would do it herself! (This was after a year so plenty of time of adjusting)

Her experiences completely terrified me from the idea, and I really would hate for it to be the same as the implant (bleeding and weight wise). Really it was going to be this or sticking with the pill sad which just about looks like will be my resort if I'll end up in pain again. I'll definitely talk more about it with a health care professional before I make my final verdict, also keeping in mind everyone's experience is different: but everywhere I've looked in regards to copper IUD, there just seems to be a pattern with the bleeding factor.

What us women put our bodies through!! If only there was a button we just had to press to tell our bodies we're ready for a baby haha.

Thanks again!! smile

• Posted

Oh wow! That's awful. Such a shame sad my best friend has the mirina too and she's only ever had good experiences, and loves not having periods! It's crazy how much it can differ...

I see the predicament that you are in... I'd agree that the best thing would be to talk to a professional, but at least you're researching your options properly, I hope that by having all the facts you are able to make the right choice for you!

I'm waiting for the male contraception to come out! I think they said it would be ready in 2018!! No hormones and completely reversible. I know where my boyfriend will be going.... It's their turn. I think it will be welcomed by both parties, been way too long await!

• Posted

Can't thank you enough for your review! I've been thinking of a copper iud for the longest time; I'm quite prone to terrible acne and see a dermatologist for it, so hormonal birth control has done a number on me and is really not worth the havoc on my hormones, face and self esteem. It's rather an embarassing/silly question, but I'm wondering if the copper makes any unpleasant odours or anything like that? I'm thinking it might be rather mortifying I started smelling like metal or rather unpleasant!
    • Posted

Hi Emma,

I haven't noticed a smell.  My other half hasn't noticed a diffrence either.  Hope this helps.  Go for it!

x

• Posted

Hey there,

Nope, no different smells/odours what so ever smile. If anything you could potentially 'smell less', since I've found it has massively lowered my chances of ever getting thrust/cystitis/BV! Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi ,

I had my IUD inserted 12 days ago . No bad odour so far but if it does happen to have strange odour it is usually linked with an infection and need to have that checked immediately. Hope that helps .smile

• Posted

OK so I thought I'd give my POSITIVE experience too.

Before deciding on contraception I read all the reviews of the different methods available, and to be honest I didn't like what I heard about IUDs.  However, hormones do not agree with me, so I nevertheless was interested in a copper coil.

On 15th May 2015 I had a Eurimpharm T-safe CU 380AQL fitted, which is a ten year coil.

I am a 37 year old childless woman.  In good health of normal weight.

On the day I was particularly scared after reading some of the horror stories on the net.  But I need not have been.

The insertion was pain-free, it was over within a minute, and felt just like having a cervical smear.  A slight tickling uncomfortable feeling that soon passed.

I was warned that I would have some discomfort and pain afterwards.  And I did, I had mild period type pain that soon went after taking a couple of paracetemol.  This pain continued for 2 days afterwards and was accompanied with some mild bleeding.

My cycle returned to normal after the initial bleeding.  Coming exactly on 30 days.  The first three periods were slightly heavier than normal, but I can report that my periods have now settled down and are just like they always have been.  No additional bleeding or pain.

The only thing to note was the first time having sex, after the insertion of the IUD, about two weeks later, was slightly sore and there was bright red blood, as if from a cut.  It only happened that one time.  The pain and the blood not occuring again.  I think this was possibly due to the cervix being irritated from the insertion more than the actual IUD.

So my recommendation is that the copper IUD is well worth the trouble.  Especially seeing as there are no horrid side-effects from hormones.  Sex drive, moods, skin, weight all normal.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 21 and currently on the pill, have been for just shy of 3 years. I've only just started looking into the coil and find your review really really helpful thank you!! I get mood swings and sometimes they can be really bad but also suffer lack of libido. I know its personal but did anyone notice a difference in theirs when they came off the fake hormones?!

The insertion sounds scary but doesn't sound like it'll be too bad in the long run. Have your periods finally settled down now? I really like the idea of not having fake hormones pumped into my body everyday!

Thanks, K

• Posted

Hi K,

I had the coil removed a week ago after just shy of 5 months of use. I actually noticed a massive increase in my libido, I felt like a teenage boy (I'm 24). I don't know whether this is my natural state that I've just forgotten about because of years of using hormonal methods or whether this is one of those unspoken side effects.

I had plenty of negative side effects outweighing the positives (no hormones, high libido). These included constant spotting everyday for the entire duration, a metallic smell (for the above user who asked), heavy bleeding and pain after orgasm and feeling bloated all the time. I was told all of this was 'normal' despite no mention of these in the booklet and no one talking about them online. I was actually told I would have a normal cycle, if slightly heavier, and with occasional spotting.

I was told consistently that I'm just a 'bleeder', that I would continue to bleed after the coil was removed, but I have since started taking Loestrin 20 and my periods have stopped. I am happier and feel normal again. I cannot understand why any nurse or doctor would encourage a young woman to put up with constant bleeding, I was deeply unhappy because of it and despite the lack of hormones in my system I experienced PMS on an almost daily basis so my hormones where all over the place anyway.

Unfortunately, it seems as though there is no 'one size fits all' method and it will take perserverance and some experimentation. Unless you are truly unhappy with your current method I would be cautious about trying other ones. I have tried the implant, mini-pill, condoms and the coil, only to return to the combined pill.

I hope that helps you. I don't mean to put you off, I just didn't hear about any of my symptoms before having the coil fitted! For the record, it was in place and working as expected when I had it removed.

• Posted

I'm so glad you've found my review helpful! It's good to know it's getting out there, and doing what a review is supposed to do smile

I also suffered mood swings and lack of libido while on the pill, although I didn't fully realise it that it was due to hormones at the time!

When I came off the pill I noticed I was less prone to crying (I was at risk of crying while watching Secret Millionaire) as well as less (irrationally) irritable. It's nice knowing that any rare mood swings I have are solely down to just me, and they almost feel more real. Like you can trust them (an odd way to explain them).

My libido has also increased (nothing crazy), and is more constant; before it would be up and down, with phases of complete lack of interest.

Insertion does sound scary, and it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I found weighing up the pros and cons really helped. Seems like you've already done that though smile, I found comfort in the fact that if so many women before me survived, then I would too.

Maybe ask your nurse who their best doctor is for these procedures? Or at least for the most experienced doctor. You are allowed to request certain doctors, and my nurse suggested mine, claiming that if she won't be able to do it (insertion), then no one would be able too. That was a big claim! But it really settled my nervous knowing that I was in good hands.

It's been 10 months now, and my periods are completely settled, give or take a day. It's interesting learning my body again.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please do fire away smile.

• Posted

Thank you both so much! Lou1991 thank you for sharing your experience certainly gives me something to think about!

I've suspected for a while it could be the hormones just from looking up loss of libido online and it even comes up on websites aimed at guys! I used to have a healthy libido but noticed around 2years ago that it just stopped. I wasn't sure what it was and seems to have gotten worse ever since hence the googling.

Like liliankentish I also get annoyed or irritable for no reason and feel like I cry when its unnecessary even if I try and stop myself crying it fails!

I only started looking at the coil last night /this morning and think it might be for me just need to pluck up the courage to get into the doctors. Did anyone notice sudden mood swings as their body was getting used to the coil or as a previous fake hormones were leaving their body? I also find whenever I go for a check up I get asked about alternative long term contraception such as the implant but the coil is never mentioned, does anyone know why that is?

• Posted

Oh my word, talk abt crying. I hd terrible mood swings whn I ws using nuresterte (2mnth shot),it almost destroyed my marriage. I wld cry and be very angry over small and simple things. Wld be uncomfortable whn a gal passes by, wld check if my hubby s watching her and wld cry or start a fight to a point of suicidal thoughts. It used to confuse me at times as I wld extremely happy afterwards.I was so unbearably wet during intercourse,was so uncomfortable and ddnt enjoy felt embarrassed. We were so confused and unhappy , I then got very sick cldnt walk, had black huge clots and had to stop using it. Switched to depo,pleasant experience bt xtremely low sex libido and huge weight gain. But no mood swings. I ws supposed to go back for the next shot today bt I m thinking of copper, we hv bn discussing it for months now, m just gonna go try and pray for the best.The best part is that it is reverseable. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.