correcting for near vision, not distance

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was set on being corrected for near vision with cataract surgery as I've been nearsighted my whole life, and I seem to remember reading posts of people who became very frustrated at suddenly experiencing the opposite - not being able to see near and having to put on glasses for every little thing - except I don't mind wearing glasses anyway ... I have heard of mini monovision but I'm thinking more of both eyes for same. Does anyone have any feedback on nearsighed people being corrected for good near vision vs. good distance vision ? Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

just to clarify do you have cataracts or are you looking to clear lens exchange to correct near vision? If latter not many of us here on the cataract forums would recommend it. If you don't mind glasses stick with those.

• Posted

it is cataract surgery...I was pretty firm about monofocal correcting for near and glasses for far.

So I was surprised that a doctor would recommend distance and glasses for near. I'm thinking about it.

• Posted

if you are taking about cataract surgery, I was near sighted all my life. i got a mini mono with my LE fir intermediate and RE fir distance. I don't need prescription glasses for distance.Only need a cheap pair of readers for close. I can see close if i have enough strong light. The reading glasses are a very low strength of +1.25.

honestly i love being glasses free for distance ! By the way i was talking only about monofocal lenses. i was not a candidate for multifocal lens.

• Posted

I chose near over the physician's (strong) recommendation for distance correction. I am very satisfied with the result. I'm typing this on a desktop without my glasses. I read, even fine print, without correction and only put on my glasses when leaving the house for the day. I too don't mind wearing glasses as I've had them since I was 21 (now 67).

• Posted

I had a near vision lens used for cataract surgery for similar reasons. plus, I only needed the RD eye done, my other eye did not need cataract surgery. For me to get distance vision (how great it would be to not need glasses!), they would have had to do something with the "good" eye so both eyes would work in sync prescription wise. I really wanted to be glasses free, but didn't want them messing with my good eye. So... here I am, mostly glad all has gone well. Let us know what you decide!

• Posted

mcjg,

So you mean you had a near vision IOL to match the nearsighted vision presently in your non-RD eye? I think that is what you meant.

• Posted

Yes, that's what I meant. After my vitrectomy the IOL was somewhere around 7.25 in my operated eye and 4.50 in the "good" eye. They had to aim for the IOLs to be no more than 2.0 difference (or I'd end up seeing double). After my cataract surgery, the operated eye came in at 4.00 (if I remember correctly; I should check my records and give you more accurate information).

I received three opinions from three different surgeons - each one different. One wanted to do lasik on the good eye to bring it in sync, using a distance lens to replace the cataract. The other wanted to go with multi-focal but would do cataract surgery in both eyes (even though I didn't need it in both eyes). The surgeon I went with supported the conservative choice of replacing the cataract with a lens that closely matched my "good" eye's prescription. All surgeons said I'd not likely see a full cataract in the good eye until I was in my 80's. So... I went with the easiest. One eye only fix.

• Posted

Hi Julissa,

Ive been near sighted forever. The first surgeon I saw said I would need glasses for reading too. The next one said he advises people like me who have been near sighted to keep that view. I had my first eye done Oct, monovision set to near. I am having the left eye done the same next week (nervous).

Since I "hit target" with the first eye, the surgeon feels doing the 2nd eye the same for me is best. Both with toric lens. My near vision is still good so far although not as near as it was. I am hoping with the 2nd eye working together I will be fine. I use glasses for distance and am waiting for the new ones once both eyes are settled since I wont need glasses for astigmatism as well. Ive never used glasses for reading or any close work and didnt want to flip my vision world for distance. I see the computer great without glasses but now have to move my reading material around to find the sweet near vision location. Still getting used to it. Good luck.

• Posted

Sounds as if you were going to do monovision but now both eyes will be set for near, is that right?

Yes, it would be hard to switch to seeing clearly for distance and not being able to focus at all in front of me .... it's not as if I were a professional (or any sort of) pilot, right?

• Posted

the only thing you may want to consider is that for some people they get more range of focus from monofocals even if targeted both for distance. The nearer the target is the harder it is to hit and the range you get is much narrower.

• Posted

exactly.

Im sorry if I confused you. I went monofocal in my right eye and Monday I will go monofocal in my left. Both set for near with Toric lens as well, to correct for astigmatism. I want near vision to be as close to excellent as it was. Right now, I can read without glasses and see computer without glasses as well as TV (not as well) but Im still using my left cataract eye so IM hoping it will be better with the 2nd eye done. Im nervous waiting for 2nd eye since its still a "helper" eye despite the cloudy part.

Until both eyes done and settled, Im using my old glasses which arent too bad since Im still near sighted. I drive with my glasses but look under them to see dashboard and map etc.

• Posted

suAn2,

but I would get up in the morning and be pretty fuzzy sighted for just daily life activities like brushing teeth ...

hard to figure since I need progressive glasses now for the past several years .....but still used to good near vision.

• Posted

Julissa, the majority choose distance so if you want near stay firm. Its what you are used to. Monofocal means you choose one or the other. I got influenced by everyone and chose far until my surgeon said I would be disappointed having been near sighted forever. He was right.

Sometimes you dont know what you are missing because you never had it. Yes my vision is sharper with the $2000 plus toric lens, but would I have known what I was missing if I didnt do it? I dont know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.