correcting for near vision, not distance

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was set on being corrected for near vision with cataract surgery as I've been nearsighted my whole life, and I seem to remember reading posts of people who became very frustrated at suddenly experiencing the opposite - not being able to see near and having to put on glasses for every little thing - except I don't mind wearing glasses anyway ... I have heard of mini monovision but I'm thinking more of both eyes for same. Does anyone have any feedback on nearsighed people being corrected for good near vision vs. good distance vision ? Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So you decided to do near, or far? I'm not sure what you ended up with, although it sounds like toric would correct your astigmatism for distance. (?).

• Posted

im a week out now with both eyes set monofocal to near. They are still settling but I read and do everything close up as before. The astigmatism is gone and sonetimes things seem almost too sharp , oddly. I have good intermediate vision and the same crummy distant vision as previous, although sharper. Im waiting to get new glasses for distance and still using my old ones.Night driving is so much better without cataracts.

What did you decide?

• Posted

Hi Julissa:)

If your doc recommended distance even after you firmly said you want near, then it's time to get a 2nd consult (or 3, if needed). Docs do this because "it's the way it was always done" until now, when there are many more options available. I was extremely nearsighted and chose a monofocal IOL set for best distance in my dominant eye and a Symfony toric EDOF in my non-dominant eye set for slightly less distance, to ensure that I would definitely have great near vision.

This is referred to as micro-monovision, with a small difference in aim between eyes of only about 1/2 diopter. (Although my case is different since I added the variable of mixing lens types.) Micro-monovision is VERY easy for most people to adapt to. In fact many people have such a difference in their "normal" uncorrected vision and don't even realize it.

I was very fortunate. I ended up with 20/20 vision in both eyes and exceptional near vision in both eyes, as well. This is what SueAn was talking about when she said some people get great near vision even with the monofocal IOL set to distance. But I chose to be sure by getting the EDOF in my non-dominant eye. There is speculation that the exceptional near vision with a monofocal IOL set to distance may be related to having a very long eye related to extreme myopia, but don't know of any studies on this.

In your case, if you're certain you want monofocal IOL's, then you might try micro-monovision with one eye set to best near vision, and the other set to slightly less perfect near. You may end up with more depth of field than expected, and yet still have the option of easily correcting for distance with glasses. They say it's best to set the dominant eye for the better distance vision of the two.

Wishing you the best possible outcome!

• Posted

Hi Seeherenow,

I am glad yours turned out so well with the micro -m-v. I don't believe I have an option to go that route (especially not with an EDOF lens) since I can only do monofocals. I suppose one could do micro m. v. with monofocals, but I am at this point just trying to settle into what is the best 'target number' to utilize for my case. I don't think there will be a problem with the doctor going with a near focus for me even though so many do like 'distance' and they often think we want that.

Thanks,

Julissa

• Posted

Julissa here again. I read an incredibly long set of posts here from a few years back on this subject (near vs. distance correction after cataract surgery).

I guess I was trying to imagine what it might be like to be corrected for distance instead of at about -2.00 or so, for near.

Since I'm highly myopic now, it's also true that the myopia makes it harder for them to 'hit the target,' if I understand that right.

I'll probably still go with the near, but I have read a few accounts of positive results from nearsighted people who decided to get set for distance post surgery and were happy with it ... I know that one can also do that mini monovision or micro monovision that a few posters here have had, but so far, doctors tend to want both eyes set for the same thing in my case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.