Cortisone Injections

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone found that these injections make you put on weight. I have had a fair few and due for some more next week. In the beginning I had a spine injection and then  in the leg -  I am on Pazital and Lyrica but a lose dose.  But looking back, the injections have been the best as I walk quite a bit.

I know the UK have a maximum - but can't remember how many.  I last had the injections about 3 years ago, 4 in one thigh and 3 in the other.  I suppose it depends on the strength too but I haven't ever been told the strength. 

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It depends on whether you are talking about steroid injections into a joint or into muscle. Injections into the joints are limited to 3 - because they can cause damage to tendons if you have too many. As far as I know, intramuscular injections aren't limited and they can be used as an alternative to oral pred - but they have exactly the same sort of side effects as oral pred and that includes weight gain. Lyrica has weight gain as a side effect too.

Interested to know why you are on Lyrica for OA though.

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I have just read my message, this Lyrica is really now messing my head... Sorry about it.  The spine injection was into the bottom of my spine - one was X Ray lead - can't remember the other.  The other ones I had were in the thigh and bottom.  I can't believe this is going on, yesterday I couldn't remember the word crane and it upset me.  

Oh heavens I can't remember whether the thigh was into the bone or not, I will ask this time when I go 

Well I was given Lyrica for nerve end pain.  I have had 2 ops, one where they put a jack into your spine to stop the bone touching a nerve and the other was decompression.

When I came to spain it has taken me such a long time to get info but as usual I had to pay for MRI and X Rays in Benidorm - so I have L4/5 and L3/4 prolapsed and I think S1/L5 is on the way. The nerve pain was beyond any pain I have had, I couldn't even walk into Asda supermarket in England before I came to Spain, now I can walk but at the end I am in terrible pain and thats why..... I have seen a surgeon and he says that to have an operation would be dangerous but two private surgeons I saw both said that I would be walking out of the hospital with fusion - oh yes...... and that will be 20,000€ thank you very much.  And fusion is not always successful.  It can cause the bottom disc to drop but then it can't drop any more can it.  

Thats the brief story but I am not paying out any more, I wouldn't get insurance and I'm not paying any more - I must have gone through 20,000 both euros and £s getting treatment faster and I am no better.

So I don't know what to do now, I can walk a little without pain but I just think I have to get on with it when the pain starts, and if its something I want to do, I just take extra.  The dr says I take a low dose anyway so no wonder I am in pain.....The dr I am seeing at the pain clinic has advised me to go onto pregabalin and although Lyrica is supposed to be the same, I will try it out.

Interested what you would do?

Sorry about the delay in replying, my partner keeps me going to all sorts of places to keep my mind going....

• Posted

I do know that lyrica and pregabalin seem to work differently for some people so one might work better than the other.

What would I do? Really have no idea. I have a chronic rheumatism and my attitude is to ignore the possibilities and wait until I get to any bridge before deciding if I will cross it or not! My husband is the opposite - just like his mother who drove me up the wall with her "What if..." and turned me into a rather short-sighted navigator rolleyes

I live in Italy - but we don't need private insurance here and our regional healthcare service is still very good. What it will be like in years to come I have no idea - but I shall wait and see.

• Posted

Hi, Enna, I have a brutrans time release patch.  Its 10 micro grams.  I wear the patch for a week at a time.  It really helps me with severe pain in my spine in conjunction with my Vicodin 325mg.  I use four vicodin a day.  I have many issues you have for instance.  L-4 5 have had ruputures.  L-5 S1 has a fusion and L-4 they put a cage in to support my spine.  My last and final surgery was in  2002..  I really do not suggest surgeries.  Due to the fact that your spine will get arthritis and then it just collaspes over time. All in all the patch may help you.  Also I have a tens unit that is really powerful. The Dr. prescribed it and the insurance paid for it.  I also use Lidoderm patches when I need them. Jansmile
    • Posted

Hi Jan, just a note to say sorry I haven't replied to you.  We are going up into the mountains this weekend to see the dinasaur footprints so I will get back to you next week

Keep going, my appt with the surgeon on Friday wasn't too good.  12 more weeks to wait.....

Anyway speak next week. Anne

• Posted

I am so sorry you have to have surgery.  What did the surgeon say, Do you have RA or Osterioarthritis or RA.  I don't have damage to my hips or knees yet? Is just have joint pain and Osteoarthritis.  My prayers are with you all the time.  I just got back from seeing the internist.. My blood pressure was through the roof 190/100., Once I knew the numbers I had an anxiety attack.  Came home and took more blood pressure meds.  Pressure is coming down slowly.  They gave me an EKG and all is well.  They referred me to a cardiologist for a work up.  Good advice since I haven't had a workup in five years.  All this because the pain has flar so much the blood pressure is way up.  Not normal for me.  Mine BP runs about 130/67.  We are leaving on Monday for a week and I don't think we will  have internet.  I will have verizon coverage only.  The damage in your spine is caused by what? Is is RA or Osteo? I understand L-4-5 and 5 S1.  You probably have rupurtured discs.  Do not have rods and bolts.  You will regret.  If you have anything done.  They should be able to go in with a bandaid type opening and fix the ruputure.  I had L/5 rupurture and had fusion.  L-4 collasped 20 years later and I had them build a cage with cadeavor bone.  No rods and bolts.  No surgery for me.  What country near you has more liberal socialized medicine.  Or do you have a teaching hospital that takes patients who are in need financially.  $20K would not be something we could handle at all!.  Sorry you find yourself in this situation.  I just thought if you flew to the states and went to Loma Linda in Orange Cty Ca. you could get in and you would pay on a sliding scale.  You would have to do some research to consider this option?  Many hugs are coming your way.  Hugs Jan
    • Posted

Hi jan, the surgeon in November said it would be dangerous to operate and the Dr in the pain clinic as last time although a diff doc,just about makes me climb the wall. He has suggested another x ray lead spinal injection but even if it works it will need to be replaced. He did show the x rays to us and HD said it was partial decompression at l4\5. This is diff info I have had from others. Honestly I am going round in circles. Its. Spinal stenosis, and nerve pain and as the report is in Spanish I don't really know although I remember buts and pieces. By in Warrington the surgeon said he had decompressed l4\5 and l3\4 and that l5\s1 was going the same way. I am like my mum she has osteoarthritis, she had a cyst on her knee and she had dry skin on her nose, exactly like me. What I don't understand is this confusion they are telling me about prolapsed discs and now the don't mention the l3\4. 2 yrs ago I consulted a surgeon and he did advise rods, screws, and cage. Then a friend recommended someone in Valencia he said the same. But....as this would be private the same as my Warrington op am I going to be chested again. I was told he decompressed 2 levels , now I find he only did a partial decompression at 1 level. I am just saying this all costs money and I feel cheated. Are you following me....!!!! My partner is furious although I paid for this myself.

Oh I didn't tell you but the 2 surgeons - well more than them - hadn't been paid for 3 months by the Valencia government so they went private!!!!

Had a feeling you were writing from the states - been to California in fact where we have been today is just like monument valley.

So.... the appt on Friday I have to wait 12 weeks!!! Spain is better than uk. Although I think I was cheated with the decompression, when I started work and like everyone else, we contributed to thenhs but its not the same now. I mean I was in so much pain 10 yes ago I used to pay to see a doctor to find out quick. The surgeon I saw in November he said it was too dangerous to operate because I had SK much scar tissue. As I am a resident in Spain,the uk pays Spain 3,000pounds towards my health care and as I am a pensioner. Paying over 40 years into the NHS I would have been better paying insurance. So complicated!!!! I paid to see someone in the north east of england ( about 8 yes ago) had MRIs and xrays - these were read by the surgeons registrar and he told the surgeon there was nothing wrong with my back. I feel I will pop my clogs before I get relief.

Yep tried tens machine until my lead went down a dirty Spanish toilet!!

This is why I really want injections. Not sure about an op but this lyrics is driving me mad I just forward to July when I saw this books for a spinal injection who knows these new injections might work for enough time to see what's going to happen next.

Yes rods and screws plus artificial discs sound good but it sffedcts the disc below. One or two surgeons are panicking in the uk and don't do these ops any more. They too have pulled out of the NHS and gone private.

What I don't understand is that there are so many people with back problems you would think they would be experimenting with something else. The first surgeon who did the jacking up of one of my discs with something called Inspsce. I know for a fact he was practicing on me -

Anyway have a good week wherever you are going - how's the heat? We watched 4 July on San Diego beach was fantastic but the Spanish have good fireworks too. Uk think too much of health and safety!!! Enjoy anyway and have a good time. Anne

• Posted

Hi, Enna1;  Its sounds as though you are at a stand still regarding your back issues.  First off let me say that any friends I have had that have screws, bolts and rods  put in their backs are Sorry they did.  The pain cycle starts all over again.  Do not have surgery.  Try anything and everything you can to stay out of the operating room.  I have suffered for many years regarding back issues.  I feel personally that injecitons work, put it depends on what kind and their are many.  You will need to have a clear understanding of what procedures you are having and why. You will need the injections where the Doctor uses a radiograph guided needle into your back.  The needle can be seen on a computer screen above your head or to the side.   This allows the Doctor to direct the pain medication directly where he or she want it to go.  I have found that ablations work the best.  This is where they go in and burn the nerves surrounding the areas you are having the most pain. This procedure lasts me about 8 months, sometimes longer. Again I use my tens unit, supplied by my Doctor.  I use Lidoderm patches, by prescription only.  Plus Bio Freeze, a cream I purchase at the Army Base here in the States Vicodin, and muscle relaxants.  Most MRI's have a written description of what was found on the MRI.  If you can read what it says and send my way, maybe I can help you understand some of what is said.  I was raised in a medical family and I feel have a good understanding of anatomy.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Jan
    • Posted

Hep Jan, I have never heard of a successful fusion either, I have decided not to do it. I am 73 and the last surgeon said it was dangerous but go back to him if the pain clinic cortisone injections are not working.  The only spinal injections that have worked for me are injections in my thigh and bottom. Lasted well over a year and could wall well.

Yep had the injections via X Ray, twice, neither worked more than a few weeks and the latter cost me £1,000.  I am a bit cynical about private insurance - not that I had it - I just paid up - I think the surgeon sees money goes past his eyes.

You seem quite organised with your pain as I am with Lyrica and pazital but Lyrica is messing with my memory - don't like it at all, I forget simple words like bus, desk, carrots those sort of words. It makes me sound as though my brain isn't working and it isn't.

I have had so many injections, I am not sure whether I have had the burning of nerves, I could have done.  First one I had one dr was talking to the other, second one was so strong I I was about 2 hrs on a bed coming round and then it lasted oh about 2 months or so.  then I have had injections not X ray lead but the ones that worked was my thigh and buttock.  Great - and I want to walk not just round the supermarket.  I didn't like my tens but still got it.   Arrh just read you are in the States, different drugs although some are the same.  I thought that fusions were successful in the States but maybe not.  As I said to someone on this forum, if you have private insurance, the surgeon seems money passing their eyes.  

Well the last time I saw a surgeon he said it was dangerous to do fusion although to pay for this op, two surgeons told me I would be walking out of the hospital on the second day lol.  Good job I have done a bit of research and waited a bit.

I am in Spain Jan and they have already messed me up with appointment and must go.  Speak later.

• Posted

Jan messed up the appt. Can't explain but had phone call to say I should have been at the hospital, I have never known them getting ready. Any way I also have an appt for July at traumatology. I should have been there at 8.30 so we rushed down put my card in the machine and there it was in black and white no appt. So went home. Then went back at 12 for 1 when my appt was. But by about 2 peter peter realized that people had a piece of paper and a yellow backing we didn't have the yellow bit. Anyway we were last in the waiting room and this woman w

Dr. /nurss went on and on explaining and peter hadnt a clue.cutting a long story short she is sending us as other appt. Peter has gone round to his friends and he is sorting it with his friend he plays tennis with.

What a flipping mix up but sure its a spine injection. I saw different patients coming out in tears and thought yes this is it. So nothing will happen for a while.

Tell me what meds you have tried pls ? Some are similar here but different names and vice versa.

With regard to injections I know about spinal ones, xray led ones and facet joint ones. L4\5 and l3\4 and s1 is on the easy out...

But its taken me 11 years to get to this stage now my WiFi is going!! Uk was terrible I have got on better here but if I keep on waiting for asppts like this today I will be disappointed. I have to say there isn't much they can do. I told the Dr that the pain was in my groin and at the top of my hip bone which I didn't think it was anything to do with discs.what do you think. Did you have pain in yr groin and hip. To me it sounds like my hip is going as well. I am fine though with lyrics except for forgetting names anyway its almost bed time and was wondering where you live in the states maybe you told me but if I scroll back I lose the message....whast a flipping day!!!! God bless anne

• Posted

Not sure if I've understood what you said - but pain that is in groin and over your hip bone could be trochanteric/iliosoas bursitis. Just a thought.
    • Posted

Dear Enna1, Please be sure you have light sedation with each injection.  Its easier on the body.  I have to have my two hips injected very soon..I couldn't bear the injections without sedation.  The meds I am on are Brutrans 10mg.  Which I beleive is a light morphine patch which allows medication to enter the body over a 7 day period.  I also take vicodin 325mg.  Four times a day.  I do wear a light back brace when necessary and use a cane when necessary.  I try to ride my bike whenever possible.  I see your husband plays tennis.  I miss the game so much.  I injured myself playing and kept playing like a fool.  But I loved the game and was very competitive.  You asked where we live, Arizona.  We love the outdoors and we travel in our fifth wheel whenever possible.  I do hope some of what I have shared has helped you.  Yes, I have had groin pain and their is an injection called a caudel. The pain was in my groin almost felt like I was giving birth.  The pain can travel to the groin because of L-4 and 5 being in the lower back.  The injection in the groin is given in the very lowest part of the back.  Hope you get relief.  I think you are only able to have three injections a year.  At least I last as long as I can before I have to have an injection.  God Bless you, Jan
    • Posted

Enna, I think you are correct with the bursitis in the hip.  My pain is getting worse and will have to have injection.  Probably within the next two weeks.

Jan

• Posted

Enna1 you are and me are about the same age.  I will be 70 in July.  I think I started getting worse about two months ago.  That is why I am going to the Rhymotologist for a series of tests.  This way my Internist and Pain Docs can work together to get me stabilized. Lyrica makes me crazy and I lose my thoughts and feel very spacey.  Not for me. 

• Posted

Eileen, been tested in England for bursitis and the treatment in the UK was so bad that it was never mentioned again.  I wondered whether it was hip though!!

• Posted

"been tested for bursitis"??  "the treatment was so bad it was never mentioned again"??? What on earth did they do?

I described the pain, when it was worst, what made it worse, the doc prodded the outside of my hip (where the bony bit sticks out) and I squealed. That is also how they identified the right place to do the injection.  They found the spot where I said the pain was at its worst when they pressed. It isn't a intra-articular injection, it's into soft tissue, so doesn't need any imaging to get it in the right place. It didn't hurt at the time any more than any other injection and worked in about 2 or 3 days.

Mind you - we do have a very good orthopaedic department with people coming from all over Italy for certain procedures and spare doctors as we need a lot in the winter during the ski season and in the summer for mountaineers and motocyclists. So they do a lot of elective surgery in the quiet seasons.

Yet another reason to stay here by the sound of things!

• Posted

Eileen, the dr just said he thought but I went to 2/3 drs in England in the practice so didn't know whether I was coming or going.  But then I have x rays to say that I have prolapsed discs and I had completely forgotten about the bursitis and now wonder whether the injections in my thigh was helping the bursitis. It was a jolly good injection too I didn't have to go back for about a year.  He did the other thigh too.  But then it may have been referred pain as when I was asked the other day where I felt pain I said in the groin, in my bottom and in my thigh.  I will ask when I go to the dr again but then peter says I throw them off the path because I ask questions. "Treatment bad" - , after the dr who gave me injections in England left the practice, I went back to the practice and saw the dr who had taken over from him. He was the only one qualified - so he said - to do injections !!!  He said he wouldn't give me any more injections. I went back twice and said I was in pain - in fact he was quite rude. So I suffered until I actually paid to go and see an orthopaedic surgeon about 2 hrs drive from where I live - I told him where the pain was and he did an injection into my spine - i went private and it cost me £1,000. By about 2 months the injection had worn off.

This ortho did the decompressionat L4/5  when I couldn't stand the pain any longer - I went private there because I trusted him and knew I was coming to spain. I can't remember him saying anything about bursitis but then it was the prolapsed discs I was there for -  I couldn't walk at all.

I  don't have back pain now at all and when you think I have 2 prolapsed discs l3/4 and l4/5 and S1/l3 looks like going,  you would think that I would have back pain.but maybe the decompression worked and I am left with bursitis. I can't lay on that side at all and have to be careful as it can be v painful, usuallly I put a hot water bottle on the area and then it goes for a few weeks.

Answering your comments: I described the pain, when it was worst, what made it worse, the doc prodded the outside of my hip (where the bony bit sticks out) and I squealed. That is also how they identified the right place to do the injection. NO-ONE HAS PRESSED MY HIP BONE AT ALL - IF i PRESS MY HIP BONE IT JUST HURTS. its my thigh Eileen.

Sounds like you have found the Italian Medical service OK, I found the spanish one OK as well, the little bits of errors that are made are really probably because of our new hospital - its just getting into the way of doing things, as we didn't have all this paperwork 5 years ago.

No I just want to say that the practice I went to in my home town we pretty awful and we have spoken about not going back to live there because of it.  We are sure that the drs thought I was putting on the pain. Peter used to say to me, you are in pain, don't smile but thats not me. The lady dr used to sit with me and chat about her family or do exercises that I knew and did already (I have been going to yoga for many years) and do them at home now. Its not what the drs did, its what they didn't do - 

From the beginning my osto referred me to Darlington for XRays. I took them to the dr and she said there was no one who could help in Cumbria so I asked to go to Liverpool Pain Clinic (its a lot different now) the dr sat there with a handkerchief over his nose and said he couldn't do anything and gave peter a leaflet about caring for him.  Then I took my X Rays to Preston and had a wedge like thing in my spine which came out within 3 months (and thats why I can't have an op) from there it changed and you could go anywhere in England for consultation - so I read up and chose a Greek man in Middlesborough.  Had X Rays/MRIs again and the Registrar looked at them and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my back. I was devastated.  In between I have had 4 spine injections.

From there I went to Warrington privately and the ortho gave me a another spine injection - very strong. Then I went back to him for decompression but the latter was in desperation. No-one was interested in my home town and I couldn't walk, I got the impression that they thought I was putting it on. But I thought the decompression didn't work as I was now still in pain. Standing for my medical card just about killed me, standing for 3 days on the trot!!!  And thinking now, maybe it was bursitis but I will know when I have this injection won't I???  If I still have the pain it very well could be bursitis.  

Our Spanish friend is now helping us with this cock up with the paperwork so if I see his dr friend (he plays tennis with him) I will ask him about bursitis, he did say I could go back to him for help.  So thats the answer.

I've just come back from a saunter up in the hills and I am OK but it was only a 15 minute saunter.

Thats for reminding me about bursitis, it sounds stupid doesn't it that I forgot - and dr colomer who did my injections in the old hospital, I don't think he works at the new hospital as I haven't seen his name but he did the best thigh injections.

One last question - if you had bursitis did your thigh hurt?  Anne

• Posted

Eileen I see I haven't answered questions, I was given Lyrica by the dr for pain he said.   I was told that Pregabalin and Lyrica was the same, but funnily enough, I had a better pain reaction on Pregabalin than Lyrica. But I got the Pregabalin from the chemist in Benidorm because she didn't have Lyrica.  Maybe I will try it again if I can get round the chemist....... Heck you sound really technical when the dr at the practice in England gave me intremuscular injections he said they were limited to 3 which suprised me when Dr colomer here gave me 3 in one thigh, tested my other thigh and said he would do a couple of injections into that thigh too.   I have made notes to ask. Many thanks again.  Its usually someone else that can see things better than the person who has the problem!!! Thanks
    • Posted

Think you might be right, as under....
    • Posted

At least you are getting somewhere Jan.  Lyrica only affects my memory/ but its enough... thanks for listening
    • Posted

I have made notes now Eileen has said about it, drs don't seem to tell you here whats wrong either.  But hopefully I will see Cesar's pal and he speaks good English as all the surgeons and doctors do here.  Peter tries his best but sometimes people speak so quickly.

Where are you in America Jan?

• Posted

Yes, bursitis made the outside of my thigh really tender and sore to lie on. I first noticed it because it hurt to lie on my side on the gym mat during Pilates classes - and it steadily got worse. Then it started to be felt in the groin - I though it might be OA and I needed a hip replacement but the pred tablets for the PMR (a sort of rheumatism) sorted out that pain after a few months. Then it came back a few years later when I had a really bad flare - and then the injections sorted it quickly when they were eventually done.

I've always been told that injections into joints can only be done 3 times in a given time, about a year (they don't do the tendons/ligaments any good) - but into muscle I've had far more. 

Pregalbin and Lyrica do the same thing but are different substances and some people sometimes do better with one than the other. But they won't do much for bursitis I'd have though - it is inflammation, not nerve pain.

Sounds like you need Dr Colomer or someone like him again - what you say he did sounds like what I had that worked.

Yes - you are in so much pain you can't really decide what hurts where and then someone else who's had something similar asks a question and a light bulb goes on.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yep, I also read about the B vitamins, and also R alpha lipotic acid, I'm going to look in Benidorm next week - the Spanish are very health conscious.  Yes maybe I can persuade Cesar's friend to do some injections ???  

There we are then, Lyrica is probably not doing me much good but messing my brain.  You got me thinking now how I can do this - you wouldn't believe how well I was with these injections and how far i could walk. 

Yes, someone said pregabalin and Lyrica were the same, but I found they were not, again Benidorm ha ha.  

You are right, I always have to lie on my right side in bed  and I find if I lounge on the settee on that side my thigh starts up.  If I press the top of my hip bone, it really hurts.

I try and do my yoga every day,   I really miss my yoga teacher and here in Spain I have found a lady who i THINK goes to the yoga class so I am going to ask her if she does yoga..... I know there is exercise for old folk, they sit in a chair, well I am not ready for that lol.   In my opinion I don't need someone to tell me what to do as you just follow the other people and then you know the exercise....

You go to pilates?   I always was frightened to go to Pilates because of the ball.  I didn't want to damage my back.

Anyway thank you again, yes the light just did switch on and I thank you for lighting it..... Anne

• Posted

Hi Jan, I am hoping that my friends friend who is a dr in the hospital is going to help me with the bursitis which I had forgotten all about!!! 

I think everyone is centring on my back, I have no record of being treated for bursitis. Peter thinks Dr colomer was doing me a favour with the injections in my thigh.

So... hopefully I will get to the end of it and I thank you for the chat. Anne

• Posted

We never used balls in the classes I went to - a very well thought out continuous stream of movements that followed one after another. Every teacher is different though and a good one will adapt the exercise for your needs/limitations. And you do what YOU can do, not what your neighbour can manage. I don't do Pilates now unfortunately - no classes available here. I miss it dreadfully. Mind - it's about the only thing I do miss!

My yoga teacher was a Spanish girl - lovely lovely person! She also did aquaaerobics classes at the same gym - very different from the other 2 instructors.

• Posted

It depends on the hospital though doesn't it? Some in Spain are privately run so aren't subject to the EU agreement.

You aren't entitled to free treatment like in the UK with the EHIC card - you get the same treatment conditions as the locals. Which here means you will have a small co-pay unless you have been granted an exemption on clinical history or income grounds - which you have to prove. I don't pay for any of my cardiac stuff for example but anything else requires me to contribute. It isn't a lot but it does concentrate the mind as to whether I really need this. And there are doctors who do private work if you choose to pay yourself or to take out a top-up medical insurance to cover it - they cover you in other EU countries too so I could choose to see an Austrian doctor if I wanted since we live close.

• Posted

So we both miss yoga.  I do a bit at home, but in winter its horrible getting out of bed and then going onto a hard floor - I often wonder people say that can't get off the chairs but its slowly slowly.  I did see balls in our yoga room behind a curtain. My friend is a physio and I go to her a few times a year. No I am not into trying to do what my neiighbour does you just have to do what you can do.  I always wondered what these witches were on the ceiling and until I knew my yoga teacher didn't like to ask.  It was for when you are standing on one leg and you focus on something lol.  Did you say you were in Italy?   We are only a small village and I'm afriad I don't get to know much as all notices are read out over a tannoy in Valenciano and I'm not bothering to learn that.  Mmm I miss M & S but then you can always order on line. Sometimes English food but then I can do without it and its sooo expensive.  

I had a horrible night last night, my stomach was so uncomfortable, and I must have gone to the loo about 5 times, which brings me to thinking that I still am border line diabetic which I was 6 years ago when I came here. I will go and see the nurse when I come back from England. We laugh, any excuse for him to have a fag outside and he's there. Peter even bought a vaping kit.  I never got over being in England and being stuffed with Amytriptoline. I couldn't even walk round the supermarket.  I am not sure what it was but I feel better today with a bit of sleep this morning Maybe something I ate but can't think what.  I can't get over me having such stupid health and I do try to be careful what I eat.  I don't know much about bursitis so much read up on it.

Yes, probably I am like you if you are a pensioner, I get free health but have paid here - just like in the UK.  This is a long story but when I had my first op where they fitted a wedge in my spine, the rep for X Stop I got quite friendly with, a year or two went by and he wrote and said he was in Valencia. So we met up and he recommended two surgeons who did fusion, both said exactly the same and one sent me to Benidorm for another MRI/X Ray  It showed that I had 2 prolapsed discs and 1 on the way - it was a really long report which it should have been, it cost me 1,500€ and their knowledge cost another 250€ (when Valencia had no money they stopped paying the surgeons so these two walked out and set up their own consultation office.  But it would have cost me 15,000/20000€ for fusion.  The surgeon I did see in Valencia Teaching Hospital said it was too dangerous for an op now, too many people had messed me up but then I dont think I want fusion now.  I truly think its the bursitis which I completely forgot about.  I may have the opportunity to see Cedar's friend and I want to tell him. But... wouldn't you have thought it would be seen on the X Ray's???  But it is still open to see Dr March again as he put "if unsatisfactory refer back to me".  Fusion and  Artificial Discs seem to be a thing of the past, Each in its own way causes further complications.

So today I am tring not to eat anything sweet and see what happens.  We went for the most fantastic walk last night (I expect there is plenty of history where you are) I am told I am a pain in the neck because where we live it used to be a sea and I am always looking out for bits of limestone with coral in it.  Ermitas and beautiful fonts. Beautiful wild flowers.  Did you ever when you had a veruca pick a plant and break it in half and get the white sap from it and put it on your veruca ? Full of this flower and lots of others too, and lots of signs of those naughty wild boars.  Great walk but not a walk to knock the weight off I'm afraid I'm probably too nosey. Just wait till I am better....

What made you go to Italy, we still have our property in England if things get bad in spain Brexit etc.

As we are going to England next week, my partners mothers 92nd birthday but she's not well, but looking forward to seeing my daughter for a day. 

We don't pay for anything in Gandia, we used to contribute towards medication but as soon as the new mayor got in to Valencia it was stopped.  the UK contribute (I don't know whether its € or £s) 3,000 but my medication is well past 3,000.  I have been  made to look small when I first came here, you know the "you come over here and get free treatment" bit.... Peter has to have private insurance although he is a retired policeman and gets a pension it doesn't work like that ....although some places we go they never look at any documentation so he must look old.  

I had a bone scan in England which said I was OK but Spain it wasn't so I I get packets and packets of this stuff, but again I have read that too much vit D is bad for you.

You know people our parents age, never had anything like this did they and they never went onto a forum: they just lived their lives simply.

Nice to speak to you again and hopefully our health will turn the corner - Hope you can read this, I don't know whether Lyrica messes my brain up when I type (an excuse) or my fingers go faster than my brain.

• Posted

We lived and worked in Germany when our children were small and when we went back to the UK always said we'd like to live in a German-speaking area again though not necessarily Germany - not to waste the language skills! OH taught medical students in Germany so had to speak German and it is never a good idea for your children to speak a language you don't understand!! I used my background to start a translation business. 

We had some spare money some years ago and had a choice: pay off a UK mortgage that was being paid off anyway or buy a holiday flat. Guess which won? We have known this area in northern Italy for over 30 years and it is officially German-speaking. It has all the good bits of the Germanic way of life with the best bits of the Italian way - Italy but a bit more organised! The food, weather and wine are all excellent - what else do you want? The flat we got here is small but big enough for 2 people - plenty of hotels for visitors if what we have to offer isn't good enough. OH got to the end of his tether with the NHS and retired as soon as he thought we could manage until his state pension was due, this summer.  So now we are properly retired, with bits of Italian and German pensions for him as well. His medical care here is covered - just hope mine as a UK pensioner continues. If not, possibly I'm covered by his German entitlement if they'll let us change our minds...

• Posted

Oops - forgot to say - bursitis won't show on x-rays, if that was what you meant.
    • Posted

Thanks, seem to remember this also, maybe thats what dr garrido did when he injected my thigh and buttock, he maybe thought it was bursitis.  Because, although I have had L4/5 decopressed I never have pain down my leg and into my foot.

Busy trying to translate from Catalan our walk from last night.  I have my pictures up on Picassa then I put the text at the bottom and send it to my daughter. ...

Thanks again Elieen

• Posted

You probably will be covered by your husband but everyone here is worried about this Brexit, I'm not worried neither is Peter. It we come out well we will go back home unless Spain keeps organises things to keep us here. But either way we too have a place in the cold in Kendal. However, wherever you go its just full of people I don't know so we are looking in Lancaster to buy, I know it pretty well as Jane went to a private school there, so I am looking forward to looking and if we go to live there, we will keep our place in spain, just vice versa. Yes, our place is small too (2 beds)but laid out funny but big enough for 2 and I have a nice garden.It was a traditional Valencia house which nowadays people can't heat and the Council Tax now, if you live in a small town and have a low tax like we had, the Valencian Government says it has to be raised in accordance with people with higher council tax but its still only €175 a year. So we have the bottom bit and the top bit is owned by the daughter of the previous owner, none of the family come here now except for a nephew for 2 weeks of the year. So we are v quiet. We like it here but people are moving out into the city which is what I wanted to do - go to Alicante - but I am 73 now and I don't think its a responsible thing to do and our winter was non-existent this year.  Our Spanish friends were so upset when they knew we were looking that we daren't look any more, but its full of old people, 85+ and we can see them popping off.  The bells ring when someone dies and they can tell whether its a male of female.  I bet the bells and the tannoy were quite useful in Franco;'s day. There is so much history here and once a week we go to Benidorm, Alicante or Valencia. Valencia tomorrow. We just mouch about really. We go to the market and get Jerusalem artichokes and silly things like that. I do have a lot of pain though walking and we now go by train, so walking to the train station, Peter talks to me the whole time to keep my mind occupied.

So your husband got out of the NHS just like the surgeons here in Valencia. That was an era here that probably won't happen again. Even our town, when the new mayor opened her desk there were bills waiting to be paid of 100s of thousands of euros.  Also we have a new mayor in Valencia, she is also being investigated about misappropriation of money and money spent unwisely.   It gets quite exciting come Friday in the papers. Peter can speak reasonable spanish but its not good when they gabble - me oh I couldn't concentrate so mine is called Spanglish. I pop a word in here and there but trouble is I don't know when we are speaking Valenciano or Spanish. The new mayor has voted Valenciano out, i should think so too and brought in English for all kids.  We were talking about doing some sightseeing in Italy but want to go to France to see the Knights Templars castles etc. its not far from Gandia. So we will have to see.  Jane has got a job in Wakefield - she says they really do say oh eye but says its so behind the times compared to working for microsoft but she thinks its good to put the job in her portfolio.  Wish she would meet someone and get married.  

She is exactly like me, I fell downstairs with my back - wearing a pr of flipping Benidorm leather slippers that was in my 30s and it got worse as the years went on.  She fell off her mountain bike near Ullswater but she is young and does exercises etc. She gets the odd twinge.   We were not built to stand up were we.  Anyway its really nice to have a chat, I bet the moderator is doing her/her nut reading our messages. So take care and thank you so much for reminding me about bursitis - I am absolutely sure - no records at the hospita by the way.  Do you have to keep your hospital/dr records like us?

Its raining cats and dogs at the moment, good for the garden.But not for the Moros y Christianos parade on Saturday night.

• Posted

No, I get all my reports if I ask for them but don't always have to bother. Everything at this hospital is on the computer and all reports are accessible to my GP but the hospital doesn't have access to her notes about me for privacy. I can have x-rays and stuff burned on a DVD if I want for the princely sum of 5 euros. I'll wait until we move and get them all done at once!

No, even with Brexit I think we would try to stay here as long as we are fit enough. We lived in Germany long before the free movement bit came in - they accepted us wink

• Posted

So kind of you to give me some advice but afraid you are too late already had 2 surgeries. First one I had was a wedge called INspace - similar to x stop the surgeon looking back didn't know how to put it in as I know the rep was in theater. Within weeks it was a failure.he also did 2 spine - xray lead- injections which were useless. I then had a spine injection that cost me 1000 pounds that soon went over...the same surgeon 5 years later did a decompression at l4/l5 that didn't work either. So I am in Spain in pain although they have been good . I forget things - part of lyrics side effect what I figet my partner remembers - he used to be a policeman!!! Anyway I think this next x rsy spine injection is to sort out whether its bursitis. I'm not banking on it because the surgeon last Nov said it would be dangerous to operate as I had already been operated on. God I wish this tablet did shorthand - still with me...my argument is. There are many people on patient who have had more than 1 operation - good and the last surgeon was horrible to us not understanding his Spanish I was stressed we know but there was no need for him to bitch.

I bet you live in the states by when you are 73 and paid into the state system since 15. In Spain the uk pay Spain 3000 pounds towards my health by of course it doesn't cover all my great

Treatment and English people are worried about the uk coming out of the uk. Life is so mixed up...in Spain grandparents take out health insurance for the grandkids shen they are born - dental too.

• Posted

Mmm it was how can they tell whether its bursitis....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.