Cost of symfony toric

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am a 62 yr old male living in the USA. I need cater act surgery on both eyes and gave astigmatism in both. Mr eye care professional recomended the symfony toric. He said in 98 % of cases, no glasses will be needed except for fine print. While that sounds great, he wants an additional whopping fee of 3500.00 per eye! From what I have read elsewhere, this type of lens should be up to about 2500.00 per eye. That said, I was not savvy enough to ask if this surgery was laser assisted and if some of that cost was attributable to a ladik type surgery at the same time. Your thoughts are appreciated.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just had a multifocal iol implanted yesterday (Restor 2.5 D). Prices were the same for that lens, its toric version, or Symfony. Cost was an added $5,500 above a monofocal, but that price includes femto laser, ORA, added pre-op imaging, plus post-op Lasik if needed. This was in San Francisco and I'm sure that prices vary by region and popularity/reputation of the surgeon.

I'll be writing a review of my lens choice next week after I've had some time to see how vision improves. Surgery itself was fine.

• Posted

Thank you. I am definitely going to speak with my eye Dr about any included post op treatment inclusions in this very expensive price. I don't want to go to just any Dr but also want to be treated fairly.

• Posted

Right eye symfony toric $5500

Left eye monofocal toric $4200

• Posted

Looking forward to your post.  Hoping your results are positive and you are enjoying your new ‘vision’
  • Posted

Wow very expensive!   I live in Canada and my surgeries were both covered by Medicare.  I have 2 regular Symfony lenses - costing $1,800 total for both.  I seem to have gotten better nearer vision than what was expected.  I see from 11 inches.   
    • Posted

There is an actual is tori hood for a confocal correction such as distance. They are 1660.00 upcharge per eye. They then have two multigocal lenses. The non tori version is 3250.00 per eye. The topic version is 3500.00 per eye. Plus whatever my surgical deductible is.
    • Posted

Your $1800 cost per Symfony IOL is close to the estimate I got thru the clinic in Southern California I used for my right eye surgery, though I chose the Tecnics Toric monofocal which cost $1333.  That was the extra out of pocket cost separate from what insurance covers for the basic surgery/lens.  I also did not have femtolaser or ORA extra out of pocket costs.  So the lens was the only extra cost, though I believe that $1333 total was split between the lens itself and extra surgeon fee.

I had also gotten two other pre-surgery consulations with other surgeons/clinics in my area and the price estimates varied quite a bit. One other highly rated clinic prices were similar maybe $100 or so higher.  But a premium clinic gave very high price estimates since they included all the high priced extras like femtolaser, ORA, and a "premium" package that included free LASIK touchups if needed. With that premium clinic with their required extras, the out of pocket cost for one eye would have been over $5000 so perhaps the high prices some have quoted here include all those extras?

I recommend getting at least 3 pre-surgery consultations from different clinics/surgeons and ask each for price estimates with and without femtolaser, ORA, premium packages, etc. Might find quite a variation in prices as I did.

• Posted

Hi Night Hawk the $1,800 was Canadian funds for both lenses ($900 per eye). Surgery is completely covered by our Medicare system .  Normal price is $1,200 per Symfony Lens bit you get a discount of $300 (price of monofocal lens that would also be covered).
  • Posted

Hi there. I’m also in the USA and although I did not get symphony lenses I can give you some cost differences if that may help. I had astigmatism in right eye. Enough for a multifocal toric lens to be implanted the manufacturer is restor. Cost at surgical center $850. Doctors cost $1400. Although dr quoted me at $2850. This is in south Florida. Hope that helps

• Posted

Key’s eye care. Key west. But I’m going to sight trust in sawgrass for a second opinion since my vision had yet to clear up 5-6 weeks out and have blurry vision at all distances. I’m a previous lasik patient so that could be my issue 
  • Posted

My lenses cost me 1400 per eye. I have one lens for close and one for far. It is called blended vision. I also had astigmatism. It is laser surgery. If I had opted to forego the special lenses insurance would have covered the cost of removing the cataracts. I live just outside Chicago. Wondering if your cost estimate is normal for where you live. My girlfriend is in Florida and is paying 1800 per eye. 
    • Posted

Was your $1400 per eye for toric monofocal lens?  Thats pretty close to what my right eye Tecnis toric monofocal extra out of pocket cost - it was $1333.

That was with standard cataract surgery, no femtolaser or ORA which would have been over $1500 more cost if added.

• Posted

Blended Vision Is not for me. I tried it with contacts and could not stand it. I need my eyes to work in unison.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.