Cost of symfony toric

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am a 62 yr old male living in the USA. I need cater act surgery on both eyes and gave astigmatism in both. Mr eye care professional recomended the symfony toric. He said in 98 % of cases, no glasses will be needed except for fine print. While that sounds great, he wants an additional whopping fee of 3500.00 per eye! From what I have read elsewhere, this type of lens should be up to about 2500.00 per eye. That said, I was not savvy enough to ask if this surgery was laser assisted and if some of that cost was attributable to a ladik type surgery at the same time. Your thoughts are appreciated.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

NC, Medicare -- 2500 for the Symfony, which I do not like -- FDA docs say that there are nearly twice as many complaints about glare/circles/starbursts with Symfony than with a standard monofocal.  I had a monofocal for the second surgery.  I really love that lens -- crisp, clear all the time. Yes, it requires reading glasses, but I'm using them for the Symfony, too, for reading.  A friend who had 2 Symfony lenses, uses reading glasses all the time, now -- about 9 months post surgery.  The benefit of not needing readers in certain situations, like viewing a clothing tag, or a menu if the light is bright, for me, has to be weighed against the extra cost, the less than great distance vision (diminished contrast), and the ever annoying circles, starbursts, and added glare.  I would not recommend the Symfony.      

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.