Cost of total knee replacement

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was just wondering what is the cost for total knee

replacement surgery. I know here in the states with insurance it can run up to and over $150k. I am just curious as the what it is in other countries.

Thanks

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tom,

I'm from Adelaide, Australia and so far we still have a decent public health care system. But the current wealthy corporate extreme right wing fascist LNP Govt are doing all theycan to destroy it, as conservatives do hate the average Jo getting any help. Two years back, under this system, I had a Distal Femur prosthetic operation on my left knee, where part of my thigh, and entire knee joint is replaced replaced with metal for no cost to me. The stated cost was supposed to be around the Aus $50k mark. I'm shocked to hear you say that even with insurance, you have to pay over $150k. eek That's just got to be pure greed & profiteering. The very reason we're fighting off the sale & privatisation of our Medicare system. Good luck with your knee anyway!! lol 

Regards,

Rog

• Posted

God bless Canada. The surgery was all free, hospitalization etc. We can even borrow the aids needed, walker, crutches etc.physiotheraphy is also provided free of charge if needed. I'm still employed and therefore am still drawing a full salary. Even the PAIN is free. I feel so blessed and sorry for those that have to pay.
    • Posted

Yes the only thing free here is the pain. Thanks you.
    • Posted

We kid ourselves if we really think anything is free. Somehow, someway there is a cost that the individuals are payin for. When someone says the gov't pays then the question is who's the gov't.......we are. My daughter dated a foreign student from Sweden......61% of their income was taxed for free healh care
    • Posted

Yes, that true enough for sure. A bit uniquely foir me, not paying anything other than tax (which I don't pay now anyway because I'm unemployed... and without benefits) is the most free it could get with this kind of thing.

Ever grateful for our public health system. If we could rid Australia of our sh_tty corrupt LNP fascist Govt, there'd be way more in the public coffers from the fair taxing of all the corporates & super wealthy that're currently rorting our tax net. 

• Posted

Right on.... 🙀 Use your noggins people, nothin is for free, I say that from USA.  We paid either then or now.
  • Posted

Have no idea, why do you need to kno
    • Posted

There is no reason to know it was just a question and I find it very interesting plus it keeps me busy. Thanks and have a nice day
    • Posted

I'm in the US and the hospital bill for 5 days was $68,000. I haven't received the surgeon or anesthesiologist bills yet. Pain is free here!!!
    • Posted

Thanks linda,

This was just something I thinking about. As I am also in us and pain is always free.

• Posted

I think that it was a very interesting question to ask😄👍🏻. It makes a change to read and respond to a light hearted question that diverts my attention from the usual daily bend, straightening exercises etc! 

This is my second TKR Tom & I remember from the first one that the wretched operation tends to dominate your whole life for 7/8 months or so until one day you actually forget that it's happened & it becomes part of "you"😀

Glenda (6 weeks post op tomorrow-roll on Christmas!!!!

• Posted

Hi, I live in the UK where all health treatment is free of charge. However I have an axa private health insurance which I took out 15 years ago as it gives me more freedom of choice. I had a TKR last September chose my surgeon and where I wanted the operation to take place and when I wanted it done. The total cost was £15,000. Most of the cost came from the hospital, single room better food and one to one nursing. Three days stay £14,000! The surgeon charged £900. Hope this helps you.

The result is exceptional knee is as good as new.

• Posted

Thanks you and thanks to everyone for all their input. This is just one more way to take my mind of the pain. Thanks again
    • Posted

Do u have any other tricks for getting past the pain? Norco isn't helping at all. Trying Benadryl and Melatonin to knock me out tonight- hopefully!
    • Posted

Lots of ice ice ice. I have found that doing exercises and hour or so before bed then ice and pain meds help me. I have three ice packs I use one on each side of knee and one under seams to help me I wrap them around with tea towel and then I can move them up or down depending on where pain is. This gets me about 4 hours before restroom break
    • Posted

The only thing I take is oxycodone that is 5mg I can take 2 if pain is really bad. Then extra strength Tylenol 600mg every 4 hours or so. I am allowed to switch out Tylenol for ibuprofen that is 600mg but was told I could only do that once in a while. And that's is I use lots of ice all the time
    • Posted

Thanks. I had some leftover oxy from a previous shoulder surgery ,and even THAT didn't help! Ohwell, I guess this too shall pass!
    • Posted

I still have pain and I expect it to last for a while. There are times throughout the day that it hurts more then other. I read everything I can find on how to relive pain and swelling somethings work some dont, mostly ice ice and more ice, I do try to rub the pain out. Keep to meds schedule and that should help
    • Posted

Tom.....

If you go back and read some of your posts frm a week ago it is amazing the progress you have made. At that time you were lower than the proverbial well diggers a** and wasn't sure there was going to be a tomorrow, let alone a tomorrow with sunshine. Your improvement has really been a success story that any surgeon and therapist would be part of. Keep up the great work and just imagine what next weekend will be.

• Posted

Sir I read them everyday, I was at a very low and dark place, I can not tell you how much the people on here have helped. If it wasn't for people like you, alan, sandra, and everyone else I don't think I would of made it this far. I realize that you need to stay positive and work the problem not let the problem work you. I have a very long way to go before I can say I am healed. But I made up my mind to push through this. I said this before I don't have a lot of support at home this place saved me, and I truly mean that. I still have some low spots during the day, but I go back and read all the encouragement on here and it gets me through. And I say thank you from the bottom of my heart you all saved my life. Thank you thank you thank you
    • Posted

Thank You Tom and aĺl the others on here. Most of the TKR contributors I've engaged with here seem to be improving, turning corners on different days, but always encouraging each other on-going. Its great.

Some others unfortunately seem to be having less good fortune. We can only offer careful non-professional advice, encourage and offer best wishes and a prayer for them.

Interestingly, the biggest flurry of communication recently has been generated by the 'cost' question Tom asked.

I feel lucky to have access to hospitals, doctors, medicines and sites like this. There are billions of people who do not.

Our health is our wealth, and we have help in managing this.

Thank You all, hope every one keeps improving.

Tale care,

Al

• Posted

Al

I hope all is well with you today. Not to bad of night still stiff, and some pain. Did most of my exercises this morning, just got done my walk. Just want to say thanks you for allowing me to join in your conversations, it has helped me greatly. So please have a great day and as always thank you and thanks to everyone.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.