Cost of total knee replacement

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was just wondering what is the cost for total knee

replacement surgery. I know here in the states with insurance it can run up to and over $150k. I am just curious as the what it is in other countries.

Thanks

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a bilateral TKR in India (I'm a resident of the USA, but was working there). I was in the hospital 7 days, and the total cost was under $7000! Crazy isn't it. I paid cash and my insurance company reimbursed me the entire amount plus an additional amount for every night I spent in the hospital. I received physical therapy, at home, 6 days a week for roughly $20 a week. I went to a reputable hospital (there were only 2 in my city that the insurance would authorize), made an appointment to meet with an orthopedic surgeon (who just happened to be the head of the department). I told him I was in need of having my knees replaced, he confirmed the need and asked how soon I wanted to have the surgery. He would have done it the next day if I'd been ready. I will add that the aftercare was very much different than what friends have had here in the USA, especially the level of pain meds, but I think I would go that route again if need be.
    • Posted

I can't imagine doing both knees st once!!!!

I keep thinking of the first days in the hospital and trying to use a walker, etc. And how painful it was. But I had one good leg! I would love to hear about your experience the first few days.

• Posted

It was hard. But pain is pain and the good thing was that I didn't have to repeat. Both knees were shot, so even if I'd only done one at a time, I don't know how helpful my "good" leg would have been, because it was far from good. That said, I quickly realized the importance of my legs in moving around in bed. There was a strain to my stomach muscles that was unexpected. But, I've seen people with only one knee replaced dealing with this too. I don't think I slept any less because of it. Now, going to the bathroom...that was pretty difficult in the beginning. But again, having to use the bad leg that hadn't been operated on would have still been a challenge.
    • Posted

Well I'm wishing the best for you! You're a brave soul!! Thanks for responding!!
  • Posted

Hi! I am in the UK and I was fortunate enough to have my TKR's dealt with under my husbands BUPA membership which he gets with his job, but I have seen the invoices and the total cost with physio, follow up etc is circa £15,000 for one TKR! Not cheap and I know that I'm very lucky.
  • Posted

Hi Tom ... here in the UK the operation is free as we have a national health service that covers all aspects of our health. However I was private health care through my place of work and used that for my TKR. The cost was £12,000.
  • Posted

I had my TKR last October in the UK privately and I round reckon the cost was between 13-15K.

I live in Cyprus and a friend had hers done privately here and paid €7,000.  She had a fantastic surgeon, saw him every week for 6 weeks and then once a month and got Physio, all for this amount.  She was back playing tennis after 11 weeks.  I know, hard to believe, but true.  I will be going with him if I need another one.

Liz

• Posted

I don't know what thewould be in Canada, but rather amused by the "it was free" designations by other Canadians and Brits.  Our health care is not free.  We are one of the most taxed nations on earth.  In the U.S.  as I understand it, you have the freedom to not have roads repaired, not have health care etc, if you vote against taxes.  We pay.  However, everyone, even the poorest can get health care, and you would never hear of a poor woman having to organize garage sales etc to get Money for a mastectomy. It would make us shudder. So viva la difference I guess.  Our system is not perfect but everyone should have the right to health care IMO.
    • Posted

Some of those stories are modified from the actual facts just like stories of waiting 6-9 months to get a necessary surgery in Canada are. I have long since stopped believing "documented" information. 2 years ago I had to go to the emergency room every night and weekend to get an antibiotic infusion treatment (the regular location was open 7 a.m. to 5.pm. Mon thru Friday and I had to have one at 8 a.m. and 1 at 8 p.m.). There were never less than 1/2 dozen non insured immigrants (yes, many illegal but in a safe haven). They were getting the same treatment as the American citizens and in the same timely manner. They don't have a regular Dr an can be safe going to a hospital. They may get a bill but that's academic.....99% are write offs or free.

Sometimes those odd ball fund raising things are to offset other needs where ther may be unemployment or underemployment or special needs and the stories get messed up with people reading or hearing what they want. We are retired and on Medicare. Many think that's a free government handout. Our insurance premiums run close to $12000 annually plus co pays on prescriptions. Our nephew and his wife are both Dr's. The new health care in this country is very disturbing as its driving many Dr's to early retirement and keeping young people from entering the field. Too much time filling out paperwork and not enough time seeing patients.

• Posted

No doubt, everyone pays. But imagine if we had to save or borrow enough money to get something done. It is elective surgery and yes, we can all suffer a little bit more. I am proud to be a tax payer and able to help out those less fortunate. Myself included when at 65 plus and very little income each one of us has the opportunity of a better quality of life. The wait time is a substantial drawback for joint replacements. I could have gone to Quebec and for 8000. Can could have had it done. All the best to you all. 
  • Posted

Hi I too live in UK where we can get TKR done on NHS however once I was put on the waiting list I was told it would be over a year to wait, so due to the extreme pain I was in, pain meds i was on and my lack of quality of life my husband took out a loan as he could not face seeing me suffer (or put up with my moods, grumpiness, temper, tiredness) It cost £11,000 which included 6 night hospital, in my own room excellent care, all I needed while I was there, consultant, anethestist, 6 physio sessions and aftercare with consultant.

​Must admit I was very glad went down that route, know we are paying for it for next years but the care and attention was first class so different to my surgery last year (only a overnight in nhs hosp) We have since looked into private medical as my other knee is going same way and we want to be prepared for it.

​NHS is good for some things but my orthapedic journey is one I really do not want to revisit I have had 7 years of misery being posted from dr to physio to thinking about what to do to then referred to orthos. At least this way i can go straight and get seen as soon as I want. Our health is so important and at 50 am so thankful for what my husband decided (without me knowing) I know we hve to make cutbacks elsewhere but I am now in a far better, happier place getting stronger daily.

• Posted

If you do decide to take out private health care for your other knee, make sure you shop around as, as soon as they know you have had recent surgery, they will put an exception on your policy and, if they can get away with it ramp up the charges.  If you can stick with the NHS and get a good medical team behind you, if you have issues later on with your "old" new knee that will look after it as well. I had a tough time with the NHS and brilliant service privately, but there comes a time when the private consultant says "there is nothing more I can do".  Yes you can keep on paying and hoping, but with the NHS you can, via your GP, enlist the help of pain management.  Not all the treatment on offer will suit you, but they will look at everything.  Hopefully your "old" new knee will heal fantastically and you will not have any issues, but just in case........
    • Posted

Thanks Sueisobel, we talked to my consultant at review about it and he has put me back to nhs for next review for new knee so i don't have to pay to see him for it and he will look at old knee and decide what to do with it and then I can decide which avenue to go down. The private insurance I think we are going for covers me entirely except my new knee. I know there is nothing wrong with nhs, i have an excellent gp who did everything to try and ease my pain before surgery but to see orthopedic we had a weird route to go down through physio, then like a triage then sent more  physio and steriod injections more physio then finally consultant each time going back on a waiting list totalling over 4 years from first physio. but full credit to my gp who did try to see if she could help.

​At the moment my new knee is healing well, I still get stiff and it swells up and sleep is improving slowly and I have only taken pain meds today for my other knee. Thank you for you advice, you always help me with your kind and very useful words. x

• Posted

I did that awful weird route through the private system including synovial fluid (the consultant had to ring the insurance company for permission to use it, it was so expensive!!). I guess some medics need to try everything first, to cover themselves. Otherwise there will be some bright spark further down the road asking why they didn't do x,y,z, and kick up a stink.

Wishing you well.  x

• Posted

Wow after reading all theses stories I know how lucky I was. Got TKR done by choose and book system in the UK. Fabulous private hospital. Was booked in for 4 nights but only had to stay in for 3 nights. Had my own room and had a top surgeon. Cost zero. 11 months later I can honestly say it was worth all the pain and I'm so grateful. I'm 64 and still working full time.
    • Posted

I too had both mine done on choose and book scheme at a private hospital was brilliant 
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

I'm in the UK but haven't heard of the choose and book scheme. Sounds idea, could you tell me what it involves, please. I'm 69yo male and have used private medical insurance for my TKR, last September....

Many thanks,

Bleeding 83

• Posted

Sorry Sue my tag is Blee83 not bleeding83 damn predictive text!!!

Blee 83

• Posted

You get a choice of hospitals in your area mine was either the general or the private hospital as an nhs patient I chose the private 
    • Posted

Hi Blee. You need to ask your GP about choose and book. In the UK we have the right to go to many different hospitals including private ones for free. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

Thanks for that info, never heard of it before.

I shall have to consider it when I have my other knee done.

Hope your recovery is going well.

Regards,

Graham (Blee83)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.