Costco and workouts

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I am very worried because every time I try to dance or move my upper buddy I get the dull annoying pain in my chest.. I'm scared to start dancing now cause I get anxiety immediately since my pain is in the left..

Does anyone has had similar experiences?

Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I understand. I just had the flare from hell!!! I was finally able to breath normally again and move without crying out in pain. The swelling along my rib cage had started to go down so I thought I was on my way out of the flare. All I did was try to make my bed and dry my hair and I started to hurt again. It's like I'm stuck doing nothing or going back to this horrible pain. I wish I had an answer for the both of us.

• Posted

I have just come out of a bad spell which lasted two weeks and I'm so scared to do anything at all incase it flares up again, any lifting or even raising my arms up to the kitchen cupboards could start it off again!

• Posted

The terrible predicament I am stuck in right now is my husband and I are moving into our newly built home in 8 days and I can't pack anything! He works long hours and I have no one to help me. We have hired movers to move us but our items have to be packed for the move. I tried packing my bedroom a few days ago and made it through 2 boxes and had tears rolling down my face because it felt like all of the muscles had torn loose from my sternum. The timing of this flare could not have came at a worse time!!! I am already disabled from other illness so this move was going to be a very taxing thing on my body but adding this to it has been overload. The positive side is that this is my last move! This is our forever house so I just have to survive 1 more move!

• Posted

That's so awful for you and as soon as you feel able to move about normally again you're afraid incase it starts up! Try not to stress out about the move because it will all work out and you'll be in your lovely new home before u know it xx

• Posted

Hi Julia,

I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I thought I should get in touch as I have experienced this. My short history with costochondritis is that I've had it for 8 years now, since I was 16, and it's coming up for 2 years where I've had it with a vengeance. I'm a Latin and ballroom dancer so I understand what you mean about pain when dancing, sometime I just have to stop.

if it helps, I can share with you a few things I have found help with costochondritis?

1) Exercise can help some people and hinder others.

i have found myself if I leave off exercise as a whole (as most health sites suggest) I get stiffer and the pain gets worse. Gentle exercise works quite well, stopping when I feel sharpness. I have just taken up Pilates once a week and whilst is isn't reducing pain, it is helping me to stay mobile.

2) Don't panic, just stop.

Its hard not to panic so this may sound like a silly one, but over time now I guess I've come to expect the pain which makes it a little easier. Sometimes lifting shopping bags gives the strongest of pains and I've just had to drop the bags (even though I smash the eggs!)  So just stop if you need to. I'd also recommend Pilates for this as it does help you to stay calm and for me it's a nice group of friendly faces who understand pain when moving, even though it's usually back pain for them.

3) Gently warm up before dancing

I've found gradual warm ups that work through the shoulder area and then side leans can sometimes help before dancing to loosen up. 

4) Voltarol

Have you heard of this? It's a gel form of diclofenic available over the counter. For me, it doesn't get rid of the pain, but when particularly painful and struggling to breathe I find it can reduce the sharpness. So I sometimes use this when dancing.

I really hope this helps. If you have any questions, I'm here and I'll keep checking back. 

Can I ask, what kind of dancing do you do? How long have you had costochondritis? Have you ever had your heart checked to rules to it out? Do you have any clues for what might have caused your costo? (I'm afraid I know of no cause for mine, some people's are caused by trauma though and the general advice here is to rest and avoid exercise.)

Costo pain traditionally happens across the chest, but often is accented across the left-hand side because there's more in that at side - more pressure and more tender cartilage.

looking forward to hearing from you,

Adele

• Posted

Great advice, thank you Adele! I also used to be a ballroom dancer! But stopped due to back injury. Now just dance a bit for fun, well, not in the past couple months and completely out of shape lol ;(

I'll try Pilate's, everyone seems to recommend it, also for anxiety.

• Posted

This costo stuff just popped up out of nowhere! Mine is on my right side ...! I'm taking Prednisone and it seems to help! My pain right now is manageable. I am just afraid that not too far down the road it won't be! I do go to the Gym 3 days a week. I usually do the treadmill ... I've gone from 1 hour down to like 20 minutes before the pain on the right side starts ... can anyone on the forum tell me exactly what a 'flare' is? How long do they last? Does The pain escalate before it starts calming down. I do not have 1 friend who has ever heard of this! I am a lung cancer survivor, heart attack survivor, thoracic surgery survivor, plus a few other minor ailments and this damn costo is bringing me down!

• Posted

Wow you certainly have been thru alot and sound like an amazing survivor!!! I have had costro about 16 months. A flare up is different for anyone. When I have mine I feel lotsa rest soft ice packs condstantly on painful area, and tylenol help. I am going tyo an accupuncturist next..hoping for relief. Ive heard it helps! Im very hopeful. Noone I know knows about this condition either. Thank God for this site! Good luck. Reserach costro exercises..they can help too. hang in there. It gets beter. smile smile smile
  • Posted

Hi Julia. Ive had Costro about 16 months. I know that exact pain and have been to ER only God knows how many times??????   Ive also had all cardiac tests and see a cardiologist. I too feel anxious from that feeling in my chest. Its kind of a burning pain for me. Ive been reassured by several drs its  not cardiac, but costro. Im finally going to an acupuncturist next week. Ive heard they can help with this condition. I also take tylenol and use soft ice packs alot thru out the day. They really help.  To make yourself fel better and reassured maybe go to cardiologist. Im sure all will be well. Good luck and better days are ahead of you! smile smile smile
  • Posted

Was diagnosed with costochondritis seven years ago.  It comes and goes, but lately I noticed a heavy feeling in my chest with pain radiating down into my belly which only lasts for seconds.  My biggest concern is the chest heaviness.  Blood pressure and heart are good.  Just had a chest xray today and won't know results til tomorrow.  I notice my costo gets flared up after upper body exercise or weight lifting.  Two months ago I strained my chest muscles and felt like I was having a heart attack with sharp chest pain.  I am a coffee drinker and was told that caffeine will also cause pain and tenderness in the sides of the ribs and breasts. I was supposed to quit caffeine, but I can't give up my morning coffee.  I also experienced a slight sore throat with this recent episode which I never h ad before.  I don't  have GERD or heartburn so this is another added symptom to my most recent episode of costo.  Anyone else have these symptoms? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.