Costochondritis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello!

I'm not sure if anyone is still on here but I'm desperately trying to find just one person who has had similar symptoms to me!

At the end of 2017 I noticed my lower left ribs were swollen/sticking out. They didn't really hurt so i thought that's odd, I'll monitor it.

Six months later, in the summer of 2018, i went to the doctor. He had a feel and said he thought it was my ribs protruding and sent me for tests to work out why.

I had an x-ray, an ultrasound of my spleen and pancreas, both of which came back fine, so I was sent for a nuclear bone scan which showed inflammation around the lower left ribs... a diagnosis of costochondritis was made.

What worries me is my rubs have now been sticking out/swelling for a year. Its gradually getting more uncomfortable. I wouldn't say painful, but it feels tight and uncomfortable. If I press on one of my lower ribs, around where the costo joint would be it can be sore. There is absolutely no pain around my sternum though, it's more in the middle of the ribs and round the outside.

It's the swelling that concerns me more. Its quite widespread. I'm not very good at numbering my ribs but I'd guess its my numbers 7-10 ribs and the swelling is all the way to the outside. I've never read of anyone having this swelling and lack of any real pain.

i don't know whether to ask for ANOTHER opinion! I've already spoken to two doctors. I was also referred for a ct scan for a different issue, of my lower chest, abdomen and pelvis and that didn't show anything of any concern so I feel I've had every test going! i just wish there were people saying they had this swelling! its not a lump, its just like my ribs are sticking out and its definitely worse at the end of the day.

Anyone?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

My costo comes and goes but it is back again just now as I have had a bad chest and all the coughing has inflamed my sturnem again. My rib cage has swollen up as it usually does and it feels really uncomfortable, makes it hard to breath sometimes. Just horrible

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying Stella.

Mine initially started after having the flu at the end of last year.

I'm sad for you but also reassured to hear that someone else has the swelling. Can you feel the swelling when you touch your ribs?

The bottom of my ribs feel hugely swollen when I feel them 😦

• Posted

Yes I can feel the swelling, and at night I have to lie down as it's uncomfortable sitting after sitting all day at my desk.

• Posted

Isn't it awful. I've always worried it might be something else because everything I've read seems to talk about this heart attack type pain which I don't have. I just have a constant achey tight heavy feeling all round the lower half of my left rib cage.

Did your doc do any tests to disgnose you? I've had the swelling constantly for a year now. It's always swollen, but much worse at night. The uncomfortable feeling fluctuates in intensity x

• Posted

I probably sound like a nutcase, but after a year of worrying about it being something else you have no idea how reassured I am to find someone who can feel swelling.

I'm finding it incredibly uncomfortable to wear a bra at the moment. I am very large breasted and have already switched from an underwired bra to a non wired bra, now even that feels uncomfortable 😦

• Posted

Oh the bra thing drives me mad. I take it off as soon as I get home and at the weekends, don't wear one at all. I also had to go to A & E as they thought it was a heart attack - it's reassuring that it's nothing more serious but you do feel as though it is, especially when you get short of breath. I have had to stop going to the gym as there is no way I can do any excercise as I get out of breath. It's frustrating that nobody can do

anything about it.

• Posted

you describe my symptoms perfectly. my pain is much worse after I go to bed at night . I use Voltaren or a pain patch, which helps a little. Still makes for uncomfortable nights

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that sue.

Mine actually isn't terribly painful though, just uncomfortable.

Which symptoms do you have the same? I'm hoping you're referring to the sticking out lower ribs as I can't seem to find anyone who has that!

• Posted

I had something similar to this 2 years ago, I was getting pain on the lower left side of my ribs, it was sore to the touch and also sore if I twisted my torso, I had 2 ultra sounds, a CT scan, Various blood tests to check my Pancreas and all came back normal, after about 1.5 years the pain started to go away no reason why and now it's fine, hope this helps

P.s I also bought an abdominal wrap to help with the pain,

• Posted

Mine also started after I had the Flu, not sure if that is significant, I never connected the 2

• Posted

Thanks Jeff, glad to hear you are feeling better now.

Could you feel swelling/sticking out ribs in the area?

• Posted

I could not feel any swelling or protruding ribs, just a constant soreness and gnawing pain the area that hurt , it was probably 2 ribs up from the bottom of my rib cage, I also had back pain as well on my spine, it felts like I was laying on a marble when I would lay flat

• Posted

Mine is probably in the same area as yours was but my ribs are very swollen and protrude a lot at the bottom.

• Posted

The toughest part of the whole process isn't the pain, it's thinking you could have some deadly disease or something and it makes you constantly worry, my Dr. kept asking me if I needed anxiety meds and I always responded no, finally I accepted and was put on Lexapro, it helped a lot made the constant internet searches for symptoms stop, and helped me to not worry so much

• Posted

That is so true. I suffer from terrible health anxiety. Last night I was up so late googling symptoms of a unruptured brain aneurysm as I've had an odd headache for a few days. I definitely suffer from health anxiety and it's getting worse!

• Posted

Funnily enough I've just been to the GP again and burst into tears saying I'm worried it's something more sinister. She looked through all of my many test results, had a good feel of the area, and said I'm fine. I am considering investing in some cannabis oil for anxiety?

• Posted

I just started using CBD oil (cannabis oil without the THC, which makes you high), and got excellent results for anxiety. I took it an hour or two before bed, slept like a log, and felt much less anxious the next day. I continued for the next three nights, and my anxiety has pretty much dissipated. Give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.