Costochondritis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello!

I'm not sure if anyone is still on here but I'm desperately trying to find just one person who has had similar symptoms to me!

At the end of 2017 I noticed my lower left ribs were swollen/sticking out. They didn't really hurt so i thought that's odd, I'll monitor it.

Six months later, in the summer of 2018, i went to the doctor. He had a feel and said he thought it was my ribs protruding and sent me for tests to work out why.

I had an x-ray, an ultrasound of my spleen and pancreas, both of which came back fine, so I was sent for a nuclear bone scan which showed inflammation around the lower left ribs... a diagnosis of costochondritis was made.

What worries me is my rubs have now been sticking out/swelling for a year. Its gradually getting more uncomfortable. I wouldn't say painful, but it feels tight and uncomfortable. If I press on one of my lower ribs, around where the costo joint would be it can be sore. There is absolutely no pain around my sternum though, it's more in the middle of the ribs and round the outside.

It's the swelling that concerns me more. Its quite widespread. I'm not very good at numbering my ribs but I'd guess its my numbers 7-10 ribs and the swelling is all the way to the outside. I've never read of anyone having this swelling and lack of any real pain.

i don't know whether to ask for ANOTHER opinion! I've already spoken to two doctors. I was also referred for a ct scan for a different issue, of my lower chest, abdomen and pelvis and that didn't show anything of any concern so I feel I've had every test going! i just wish there were people saying they had this swelling! its not a lump, its just like my ribs are sticking out and its definitely worse at the end of the day.

Anyone?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you take an anti-inflammatory? (Advil, e.g.)

• Posted

I don't like to take anti-inflammatories because I suffer from stomach problems... if it's not one thing it's something else... I bore myself!

I have just slathered a load of ibuprofen gel all over my lower ribs though in the hope that helps though.

• Posted

I don't take Advil because of a lowering kidney function, I was advised by my doctor not to, I did use Ice a lot though and it helped immensely

• Posted

Hi jeff,

thanks for your recommendation of cbd oil. i gave it a go and it helped with the health anxiety immediately.

i take it at bedtime and the anxiety goes and i can go to sleep 😃

• Posted

The best thing you can do is stopping looking up symptoms online, that will help solve 80% of your anxiety over health issues, a lot of the stuff you search will return scary results, but the likely hood of you actually having they are probably the same as being struck by lightning and just scare you for no good reason

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.