Costochondritis pain and discomfort

Posted , 202 users are following.

Im 31 and was diagnosed with costochondritis about a year ago. Its kinda lasted the whole year, but recently, over the past few months its been really bad....went back to my gp twice in the last 2 weeks because was convinced it was something more serious.

The main tenderness has been on my left lower rib cage, just under my breast, but now I have pains on my upper right breast plate. My gp has requested ecg/chest xray and blood test to reassure me that there is nothing seriously wrong (still awaiting to have these tests done, but should be anytime soon) hence the reason im on this forum as even tho my gp actually said to me 'I will fall off the back of my chair ifit is anything more serious...I still can't stop worrying as the pain is so bad.

Im getting so anxious about it too, especially at night just before bed, then find it so difficult to sleep, the more anxious I get the worse the pains seems.

Does anyone else find themselves pushing onto the pain when it hurts? This is probably making it worse I know, but can't help wanting to hold the pain!

Im really glad to have read all the discussions on this forum, it really is giving me some reassurance that it isn't just me and that something that isnt life threatening can be so uncomfortable and painful sad

19 likes, 370 replies

370 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Russ. Yup it sounds like costo defo. 

Here a few things to try that work for me, naproxine, icing and muscle rub, codine id necessary, and i get ultrasound from my physio too which helps. Ive had it for two years. I don't have it all the time but I get occassional flayer ups  just from doing certain movements . 

Hope some of these work for your symptoms. I recommend that when you feel the popping to use ice as it sooths it. I though i had dislocated a rib forst time it happened. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Do any of you ever have upper back pain along with the chest pain between and near the shoulder blades?  
    • Posted

Hi John,

I was diagnosed with Costo just over 2 years ago now. Although I do get chest pain and tenderness on the rib cage my main pain is in my back.

Like everyone else on here I have been to A&E twice now. First time I was convinced I was having a heart attack and had all the usual tests done and nothing showed up.  2nd time the pain was just too much.  I have pain every day, but when it flares up I could just lie down and cry.  At the minute I am really suffering with my back. The pain is mainly in my upper back and can travel from side to side in either shoulder blade and somtimes in the middle. Sometimes its a stabbing pain sometimes its a burning pain, but feels like its deep inside me.  I also get pain down as far as my hips and it travels up my neck, which then causes headaches. Feels like pain in my spine.

The reason I am replying to you is that for a long time I was not convinced it was Costo as everyone seemed to talk about chest pain being the main culprit and never back pain.  To be honest I am still not 100% convinced.  

If someone rubs my back or puts pressure on it, it definatly relieves the pain.  Sometimes I get my little girl to lie on the sofa and press her feet into my back.  Its such a relief, but as soon as they stop, it starts again.

I went to my Doc 2 weeks ago as i was really bad and got all the tests done again, but this time they tested my bloods for inflammation of the muscles, and they all came back normal, which was a bit dissapointing.  I am now talking Narpoxin daily waiting for an apt with a physiotherapist. I haven't tried Physio yet and feel like this is my last hope, as the Naproxin is not working.  Each time it flares up it is more painful and lasts longer.  

I am 39 year old female with a 5 year old daughter and just want to feel normal again.  

When I tell people what is wrong with me NO ONE has ever heard of this condition. People don't realise how life changing it can be.  I am normally an upbeat happy person, but recently my personality has changed drastically.  I can be very snappy with my little girl and feel so bad afterwards.  I notice on days when I am not too bad, I am a much nicer person to be around.  

Any advice, tips or stories would be appreciated.

I find when I am feeling really bad and read this forum, you don't feel so bad somehow.  Someone who understands Finally!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Just come onto this forum and read your symptoms, mine are exactly the same and I am a worrier with my health. I do allot of yoga classes lessons and Pilates and feel this should help, I can do head hand stands but all the pain is in the shoulder blades under left ribs and like a dull ache into the left chest wall, you are always checking for lump as the aching feels something is in the chest wall, pretty scary, I have had chest shoulder blade X-rays and bloods and all good, should be I don't smoke drink I excercise regularly , only vice I worry , like you , many people never heard of this and I guess I was your age when I started having upper back symptons, I am 52 now I had my son at 29 I am sure lifting his car seat in out and rushing around daily didn't help. I am going to ask for a scan  as I have heard the only real way to find out if any real problems. I have massage physio and my husband rubs my shoulder blade which is so knotted,like a burning pain, as your post 6 months ago I wondered if you had any further tests diagnosis .how was your Costo diagnoses may I ask sinead? Jo 
  • Posted

hi jillybean1785, thanks for the fast reply i will definatley try those things out.  a strange that i noticed was that when runnuing or jogging i would feel the chest pain but on certain occasions i could run through it and the pain would disappear? im really not sure what the hell my body is doing?  gonna take up swmming again and see how that goes.

hi john78534, i do get the pain between the shoulder blades especially on the left side between my spine and left shoulder blade.  it feels like a tense pain and makes me feel quite nauseous at times.  i feel the need to massage it when in pain so find a doorway or corner of a wall to push the area thats in pain.  not sure if thats a good thing to do but its seems to elivate the pain somewhat.

• Posted

Russ,

Thanks for your response.   Have you had any uncomfortable breathing?  I know you posted that you were SOB with activity, but i was curious if you had uncomfortable breathing at rest or while driving, sitting,  etc ? What pulmonary tests have you had to rule out your lungs?

• Posted

hi, John,

yeah i do have breathing difficulties especially when the pain is there either in my chest or between my shoulder blades.  i like to excersise but doing the simplest of things like walking to the shop gets me out breath. other than an xray and listening to my chest they don't seem to be concerned that anything is wrong with my lungs.

• Posted

Hi Russ,

I never feel short of breath,  but when I'm feeling the pain in my sternum/chest and upper back, which has  been almost non stop for the last 3 months, my breathing feels uncomfortable when inspiring air.  

• Posted

hi russ, i am having the same problem now, i pretty much did nothing today sunday but i just ate something a while ago... not too long ago and wen i try to take long breaths and cough it gets even worse, around and belw my left chest below my arms. it lasted for like 15-20 minutes and now it stopped. Three weeks back i had same kind of pain and also onsame side...right hand side.. i dont know what could be the cause of this but im starting to get worried. could there be something wrong?
    • Posted

Hi Yanzi.  Assuming your heart, lungs and other chest stuff have checked out okay, what's left is a really common fixable problem where the rib hinges are jammed around the back where they join onto your spine, and strained around the front where they hinge onto the breastbone.  We find this really straightforward in New Zealand physiotherapy but the UK seems hardly to be aware of what it is.  Medication will just try and keep the lid on the pain and inflammation.  It's basically a mechanical problem so needs treating mechanically.  It's really not difficult - I've been doing physio in NZ for 30 years and these are some of the easiest things that come through the door.  Good luck, Steve August.
    • Posted

hi steve thank you for the suggestion. i was unaware of all this and was afraid it was heart attack or something ...... i hope it never comes back but then i had it about 4-5 times already. it sucks
    • Posted

yes John I can feel as if I am not getting enough oxygen into my lungs at times even when I am resting
  • Posted

Hi John,

I was diagnosed with Costo just over 2 years ago now. Although I do get chest pain and tenderness on the rib cage my main pain is in my back.

Like everyone else on here I have been to A&E twice now. First time I was convinced I was having a heart attack and had all the usual tests done and nothing showed up.  2nd time the pain was just too much.  I have pain every day, but when it flares up I could just lie down and cry.  At the minute I am really suffering with my back. The pain is mainly in my upper back and can travel from side to side in either shoulder blade and somtimes in the middle. Sometimes its a stabbing pain sometimes its a burning pain, but feels like its deep inside me.  I also get pain down as far as my hips and it travels up my neck, which then causes headaches. Feels like pain in my spine.

The reason I am replying to you is that for a long time I was not convinced it was Costo as everyone seemed to talk about chest pain being the main culprit and never back pain.  To be honest I am still not 100% convinced.  

If someone rubs my back or puts pressure on it, it definatly relieves the pain.  Sometimes I get my little girl to lie on the sofa and press her feet into my back.  Its such a relief, but as soon as they stop, it starts again.

I went to my Doc 2 weeks ago as i was really bad and got all the tests done again, but this time they tested my bloods for inflammation of the muscles, and they all came back normal, which was a bit dissapointing.  I am now talking Narpoxin daily waiting for an apt with a physiotherapist. I haven't tried Physio yet and feel like this is me last hope, as the Naproxin is not working.  Each time it flares up it is more painful and lasts longer.  

I am 39 year old female with a 5 year old daughter and just want to feel normal again.  

When I tell people what is wrong with me NO ONE has ever heard of this condition. People don't realise how life changing it can be.  I am normally an upbeat happy person, but recently my personality has changed drastically.  I can be very snappy with my little girl and feel so bad afterwards.  I notice on days when I am not too bad, I am a much nicer person to be around.  

Any advice, tips or stories would be appreciated.

I find when I am feeling really bad and read this forum, you don't feel so bad somehow.  Someone who understands Finally!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Sinead,

Thank you for the response and info.  I too find myself being very snappy with the people I care most for. Do you or anyone else on the forum find that your breathing is affected and uncomfortable.   For me, this is how it started. Before I had any pain in my sternum, chest, or back I had slightly uncomfortable breathing.  Did you or anyone else worry that the problem was lung related.  I feel pain in my chest, upper back, and upper middle spine. 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi John,

I have never had trouble or pain breathing.  Only that one time I thoguht I was having a heart attack and that was purely panic I'm sure.  Thats what I mean although I have been tested and told by a few docs that my propblem is Costo I don't have the typical symptoms like chest pain and breathing difficulty. 

I was sure for so long that my problem was lung related and still sometimes get myself really freaked out. I am a smoker and my Mum was diagnosed with lung cancer last year, and has lost 2 sisters to the same thing.  Because of this I have annual chest xrays and only had one a few weeks ago. They always come back clear and this puts my mind at rest, but then the pain starts again and with that comes the worry.  

Sinead

• Posted

Hi Sinead, 

My pain in my chest and upper back is constant and not affected more or less by pressing on the areas. It is only slightly more irritated when I breathe deeper.  Also, the pain seems to move from day to day in the chest area? Is this similar to your symptoms?

• Posted

Much like you I have been diagnosed with Costo. I don’t think it is accurate but all we can find to apply. It is constant pain under breasts as if a saw were sawing back and forth while wearing any bra (I have a fortune invested) it hurst while sitting up and at times lying down though not as bad. 

The bra I fixed. Took one and cut the bottom center and both sides so it just sits in front if me. No support whatsoever. 

I went through all of the cardiac testing to be sure. The cardiologist said I needed to be taking something for anxiety. I hold it in my chest, I do. I can feel it. 

I was diagnosed later with 3 herniated thoracic discs to add to the prob. I currently take Vimovo (naproxen coated with Prilosec) and gabapentin 1200mg per day. It does have me able to manage. 

Recently I wanted to stop taking meds so I reduced the gaba, reduced to 900 mg for the first step. My plan was to titrate down from there. Stopped on a Sunday am and by Tuesday am- noon my pain came back and it had me crying driving down the interstate.  I had forgotten how sever it could be.   So I went right back up on the gaba and doing better. 

I’m over having a well fitted bra that looks nice under clothing. I will wear my ratty ragged one until it deteriates to dust. Then I will have to try something else. 

Sitting up for long periods (over an hour in a chair) is still uncomfortable and soon will have me lying down. 

I have noticed for some reason while I work in the yard I don’t notice the pain. Don’t know why other than my posture is very poor and I might have a comfort spot there. 

I have been this way for 22 years with no accident to start it out. 

With the front like this and the back herniated I feel like a freak. To go to dr appts I used to wear a “good” bra but stopped because it would hurt so bad I would have to cut it before I came home. 

None that I have cut up for comfort at as comfortable as the one I have now. 2 extenders and cut yet the straps still stay up. 

The stick on bras do help but hurt after awhile pulling them off. 

I don’t know what I expect writing this, I feel very alone and almost hypercondriac about it because I have never been explained exactly what it is. Costo is a good start but that ain’t it, I’m sure. It has been constant all these years. 

• Posted

You are not alone.

I have not worn bras for years. I wear shapewear, a size larger than I need, for some minimal support and hide under baggy clothes.

I sympathyse, and I am sure so do others!

• Posted

Hi! JuditD do you ever have problems with your hands? This morning I got up and the pain I'm my right hand was so bad I couldn't open it. That's something new. I was,diagnosed with costocondtitus and fibromyalgia. Do you ever have problems with new flair ups. I would be grateful for your input.

• Posted

Hi! debbie kelley, I have not had problem with pain in my hands as much as you do. The first joint in my thumbs is quite sore but it's been since the beginning. I don't know if this is a fibro point or not, but I imagine that your hand pain is coming from fibro -- it's known for ever changing symptoms and pain that moves around. I occasionally have spots on my palms but not overall pain.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response to my question. I've never talked to anyone else that have some of the same issues that i have. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone but yet again I'm sad too. I wish this on no one. Again, thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.