Costochondritis - Tietze syndrome - ONE MONTH ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am french and I come on this forum because almost no french sites deal with this subject.

Here is a month that I suffer from chest pain, I did several ECG exam, ECG HOLTER, ultrasound, X-ray ... and nothing abnormal was found. I was first told that I was anxious and stressed. But as the pain did not go away I went to see another doctor who diagnosed me Tietze syndrome (costochondritis).

He gave me some medicine (ibuprofen) but as it does not go away I am still going to see a doctor. Again, the same diagnosis.

When I'm in pain I just feel that I'm going to die and that's been a month ... I'm fed up.

I went to hospital cause I was sure that I had something more serious but nothing has been detected.

Here is a month, and the pain does not go away. It leaves a few minutes and comes back. For two days, the pain is located on the sternum, the top of the thorax and even climb in my neck.

I have several questions, and I would like to know if you have ever had that?

How did you get ride of it ?

Is it normal:

That this type of pain does not leave after so much time?

That doctors have been giving me ibuprofen treatment several times since 3 weeks ago? (risk for the stomach?)

That these pains are sometimes present up to the shoulder, the arm, the neck and the back especially when I eat?

Thanks in advance for every kind of help,

Marie.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie

sorry you are going through this, I have had it every day since September. I had it for 3 months the year before and it went away on its own. today I saw doctor again and he prescribed me naproxen which I will start tomorrow . I feel for you as it is a horrible condition. feel free to add me on Facebook , always happy to chat, even for reassurance. elaine maddison.profile pic is my puppy x

• Posted

I have had this condition on and off for 17 years .It is very painful and you feel as if your having a heart attack . I’ve been to the emergency room more times than I can remember . I think it is something you just have to live with and you can never be cured . Sometimes placing ice on the sternum helps.

• Posted

Hello and sorry for your suffering. I have been experiencing the same thing for almost 3 months. I went through the same tests, all normal. Did you also look into GERD? I had an EDG to verify it was not esophagus. All was normal. Only anomaly in blood work is slightly lower white blood cells. Mine started with wrist pain strangely enough. Anxiety also followed. Be careful taking too much NSAIDS as i began to develop gastritis. I am now on meds for anxiety and celebrex for inflammation. Just started it so I am not sure if it will help. Stay strong. This trial you are facing can build spiritual strength if you can trust it over to God. It is difficult but i want to use my suffering for something good. I pray that it will resolve soon. Peace.

• Posted

hello Marie

sorry you are having so many problems I have had Costco for 15 months, like you have had all the test. I see a chiropractor once a month who does help me and he adjusted my back and my sternum as I have back pain and chest pain. The doctor gave me Relafen to take but I cannot notice any difference. I am now taking liquid gel Advil two in the morning to at night I think they are helping some. Also hold a heating pad on my chest often. This weekend I went to the ER with severe chest pains thinking it was my heart but it turned out to be GERD, now I’m really suffering. Chest is real tight and taking acid reflux pills. So the combination of both ailments is a double whammy. I have done extensive research on both most of the time they go away. So never give up and good luck. KATHY

• Posted

HI,

I'm new to the group. i have had this condition since it began in September, 2017. i can actually pinpoint it to the weekend that Hurricane Irma hit here in Florida, as I had a choking episode and someone did a heimlich manuever on me. It took a couple of weeks as this horrendous pain built up and has been with me almost 24/7 consistently. I would say the first 6 months I could barely move and did not get out of bed much. Just curled up fetal position clutching the blanket to my sternum area. i lost 35 lbs. that period. i under went Ct Scans, Angiogram, blood work (my white blood cells are always slightly off as well), Esophagus testing. on and on. It was finally an MRI that showed the edema pattern of Chondritis and was diagnosed. I'm a senior, now 69.

i'm a lung cancer survivor and have had 4 spinal fusions combined (both cervical and lumbar). I'm presently under pain management for my spine but honestly pain medication does not really work on Chondritis. at least thats what I find.

i sleep with ice packs every single night placed directly to the sternum area on my t-shirt. That is how I fall asleep. Every single day. I ice is my best friend. only thing that gives some relief. Also I recommend chest stretches outwardly. And a attitude that thus will NOT win. i just read somewhere about Fish oil and Apple Cider Vineger helping so I am going to give it a try.

it does amaze me that the medical profession knows so little about a terrible disease that effects so many. Why??

i know how debilitating this makes one feel.

BILL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.