Costochondritis what a nightmare!

Posted , 29 users are following.

I started with a really bad cold 6 weeks ago, then the chest pain started, first in my breast bone, never felt pain like it in my life.  I thought I was having an heart attack, I even had a panic attack, which I have never had in my life!  So 5 weeks into Costo, some good days alot of bad days.  What I find weird and rather worrying when going out (only at weekends with hubby and daughter because driving makes it worse) after a couple of hours I feel so drained and l just want to go home and lie down, but I don't have any pain, I'm so fatigued, anyone else feel like this? Is it another symptom of costo?

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I get tired of costo, too. Driving makes it worse, and, I flew across half the globe last week and it really exhausted me. My pain feels like a bra of steel, it hurts badly when pressing the ribs. I sometimes get chills and I'm sweating. It even affects my stomach.
    • Posted

I've been reading some of the other posts on here about this condition and people seem to have it for years, but doctor told me I 'd been fine in a few weeks.
    • Posted

Yes, that's what the official info says. it is not a life threatening sickness, so it doesn't get so much attention from doctors. And they don't know so much. I have a feeling that we who discuss at forums get to know a lot. I am grateful for the diagnosis from my doctor, after it I was able to find more information. My doctor doesn't know so much about costo. She was a bit embarrassed when I saw her about other things, and I said: you didn't tell me that costo can be this painful. She just mumbled a bit, hehe.
    • Posted

Lol, mind doctor was the same, when I told him driving made it worse, he said it shouldn't! 
    • Posted

I'm having exact same issues what did the doctor prescribe for the pain or did the doctor prescribe, it hurts so bad. How long did yours last? Ive been dealing with for about two weeks now. It's getting very annoying. I'm Around Kids all the time seems like I've kept a cold here lately, of course coughing that comes with that doesn't help at all. Seems to be getting more intense over the week. Started no to get chills too. To where my hold bodies shivering. And once I warm up I start sweating. As your dr prescribed antibiotics? O my definitely the worse pain. Like a tightness, sharp, sensitive to touch pain right under my left breast and wraps around to my side right under arm pit on into back getting worse.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with costochondritis 87 percent better but stomach still hurts as well aS midback. Anything help you   HOPE you are better now

• Posted

Thank-you for your kind words. My costo is just kind of a chronic thing, due to my auto-Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus. Costo will calm down and then flare, like it did a couple of nights ago. It was awful. Tonight, it is sort of calm. I am Simponi, infused, for my RA and Lupus. You take care and  God Bless you. I so love my little Chinese Crested, Boogee. He is a rescue guy and my best buddy.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with costo this year and I'm just 30. I experienced this year twice and it is really painful. The first time I had felt this I thought it was a heart attack. Last month was a 3 weeks pain and it is really a  bad feeling that almost wake me up in the middle of the night. It seems like there's someone stabbing me in my chest.  I took Arcoxia tablet to ease to pain but after a long week-chest pain, my cough develop and until now I'm still suffering for it (is there anyone here that suffered in a cough after the pain?). Though  I made search some search online that vitamin D  deficiency may cause of this. Now I'm taking supplements and I hope it will be effective. It's quite disappointing to the doctor that I ask for consultations and looks like they are not really well aware how painful is this and for me it's a serious matter.

• Posted

They dont know much about it, and how severe it can get..they dont even know how to treat it..I've had it for 6 years..off and on...mostly on...the medical thing is very frustrating.

• Posted

Curious on what you fell. I have been suffering with chest pains for years and i was told it was constro. Always think its a heart attack and freaks me out.

• Posted

Hi just waiting to call docs as I have exactly the same symptoms started with tonsillitis early jan and told it was a virus, went to A+E convinced was having heart attack which I wasn't. But I have tickly cough which is making thing worse. When I touch the sternum area it is realy sore, but I am also getting pain in left arm pit and across a left breast, no lumps. I can also sometime feel food and drink going down as if sore inside. Terrified to go to gp in case not control especially as I am 55 and it affects more young people but sounds like it could be. Do you get a dull ache constantly. 
    • Posted

Hi, I hope u saw my comment, went in the wrong box first. I have the same symptoms and costo affects ppl in all ages, I'm 68. Stress affects it, too. A dull ache, yes, like a bra of steel, went once to a late open doctor on a Saturday evening thinking it was my stomach. It really did hurt. After being diagnosed with costo I now understan that the steel bra feeling is costo. But my stomach is affected, too,
    • Posted

Youngatheart - I can go for 4-5 days dull ache, then omg the real pain starts, yesterday was horrendous I was in pain from waking to going to bed.  It's worse when it's in my breast bone, I really can't cope with the pain,  doc gave me meloxicam, which are useless, I've Also taking co codamol, which don't take pain away, but make me feel ill, so going to ditch them.  I am 52, feel like my life is on hold, put so much weight on, feel like I'm never going to be well again!
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with costo this year and I'm just 30. I experienced this year twice and it is really painful. The first time I had felt this I thought it was a heart attack. Last month was a 3 weeks pain and it is really a  bad feeling that almost wake me up in the middle of the night. It seems like there's someone stabbing me in my chest.  I took Arcoxia tablet to ease to pain but after a long week-chest pain, my cough develop and until now I'm still suffering for it (is there anyone here that suffered in a cough after the pain?). Though  I made search some search online that vitamin D  deficiency may cause of this. Now I'm taking supplements and I hope it will be effective. It's quite disappointing to the doctor that I ask for consultations and looks like they are not really well aware how painful is this and for me it's a serious matter.

• Posted

Youngatheart, I have all those symptoms, too, armpit, arms, coughing and upset stomach. And it's most certainly connected to costo. And dull ache and pain in the shoulder blades
    • Posted

Hi

I have all those symptoms to with costochondritis The coughing too which the dr said was not related  but I believe it is.  Thank you your post helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.