Costochondritis what a nightmare!

Posted , 29 users are following.

I started with a really bad cold 6 weeks ago, then the chest pain started, first in my breast bone, never felt pain like it in my life.  I thought I was having an heart attack, I even had a panic attack, which I have never had in my life!  So 5 weeks into Costo, some good days alot of bad days.  What I find weird and rather worrying when going out (only at weekends with hubby and daughter because driving makes it worse) after a couple of hours I feel so drained and l just want to go home and lie down, but I don't have any pain, I'm so fatigued, anyone else feel like this? Is it another symptom of costo?

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Youngatheart - I can go for 4-5 days dull ache, then omg the real pain starts, yesterday was horrendous I was in pain from waking to going to bed.  It's worse when it's in my breast bone, I really can't cope with the pain,  doc gave me meloxicam, which are useless, I've Also taking co codamol, which don't take pain away, but make me feel ill, so going to ditch them.  I am 52, feel like my life is on hold, put so much weight on, feel like I'm never going to be well again!
  • Posted

Thank you both for replies, good to know, if you know what I mean that it does affect older people, have an appointment at 10.15 so hopefully get an answer then, like you I have never been so unwell this year, started with a virus in early January, beginning to wonder if all this is connected to menopause. The soreness when I press in between breasts is bad, I wondered whether it was a bad fitting bra as I am a larger lady,

I have become very anxious about my health lately and google everything, stupid I know, but I am trying hard not to look at everything, the symptoms also sound similar to cancer of the osophegus according to Mr Google, so as I can feel food and drink going down sometimes had convinced myself it was that, but having read your replies am sure it is costo. I do suffer from diverticular disease so cannot really say whether it affects stomach, but hurts in that area when pressed. Will let you know later when I have seen GP. Hope you both have a good day.

• Posted

My advice is that if tired, lie down and relax.  It will eventually help you.  If you are overweight just eat much less.  I have lost nearly 20 lbs by just eating small meals even though I cannot take much exercise due to pulmonary fibrosis, and a friend has lost over 36 lbs by eating less though taking little exercise.

relax. As a friend says, " it will all come right in the end.  If it has not come right it is not the end yet!"

• Posted

Hi! I have been dealing with Costo since July of last year. After reading all of the responses, I can say I agree with them all. My pain started in left ribs but now it is on both sides and in my back and shoulder blades. My stomach is also affected. I have been on pain pills~didnt help. I try heat occasionally and I do ice regularly. I am now doing a form of physical therapy called carniosacral therapy. I have tried everything else so I am hoping this helps. It has been a horrible 8 months of pain! I feel for you and all our fellow sufferers.
    • Posted

That sounds interesting let us know how you get on with the therapy, hoping mine doesn't last that long.
    • Posted

Stevie...I too am having serum pain, upper left and right breast pain and pain in both shoulders....I'm worried about the posibility of lung cancer, but hoping it's costo.
  • Posted

Hi All, went to GP yesterday turns out I now have a lung infection following my virus and the coughing which has be going on for weeks has caused my pains, she pressed all down front of chest and into ribs and it was really painful, sort of burning and stinging pain when I explained about pain in left underarm and left breast she did a check on my heart which apperently shows some sort of blips, which I did not have last time in January when it was done in the A&E. GP said it was due to infection but to go back after antibiotics finished to check and not to worry, easier said than done. But day 2 of antib's and I do feel a little less like someone is sitting on my chest. But I think this pain has been there for a few weeks now and will probably go eventually. I did have a massage a couple of weeks ago and the girl was really aggressive so what should be relaxing probably did not help either. Oh well, at least the sun is shining here anyway.
    • Posted

Hi, well you have a proper diagnoisis and antibiotics now, so you're on the right path to recovery, hope you're feeling better soon x 
  • Posted

Hi jacqui and others here, I have lived with this for 20 years plus! Some doctors say it gets better over time I think we get used to it having flare ups and we learn how to not annoy it. Over the years I have had many different tablets and in all truth I don't think any helped much. I have a, t.e.n.s pain relief machine that helps a little. I had cortisol injections into rib area, painful yes successful, no! However only last year I had a new doctor at the hospital who explained about the xphoid process(its that little pointy bone at the bottom of the sternum) . If you google it it will explain better than I can. My doctor said that it has a very poor blood supply so taking oral anti inflammatory meds doesn't help much , this after I've taken them for 30 years upseting my stomach in the process. It explained to me why I've found the best treatment is the ibuprofen gel ( the stuff that costs £1in the shops is just as good as the branded stuff) .put it on a few times a day especially in bed last thing and let it soak in. It also seems to help on other areas of the ribs too. Wish I knew this a long time ago. Good luck everyone. P.s alternate heat pack cold pack helps too.
    • Posted

Hi sorry to hear you've had it for 20 years, I have never known such pain in my life, however I have been feeling a bit better these last few days, I even managed to do the housework today without pain after!  After reading your message I bought Some gel today, so hopefully that will help.  I have found that the cold weather, driving and alcohol (not all at the same time!) seem to make it worse.  I use heat pads too.
  • Posted

Hi jacqui glad you're improving a bit. Not everyone has it recurring i don't think so you might be ok but in future I would make sure you don't over do things. If it hurts stop! Yes driving and anything that involves raising arms up high seem to aggravate it. Good luck hope you continue to get better. Yes cold and damp weather seem to strike right to it.
  • Posted

Hi following on from my last post, have taken antibiotics and no change, I have this pain on and off and when I press in the sternum area between breasts and follow down the boney bit it is really sore and stings and the sternum feels a bit rounded, is this what you feel as some people say it is deep inside where as my pain seems closer to the surface, I am getting myself so freaked that I have oesophegal cancer as the sternum is in the same sort of place, although I am not sure whether your oesophogus would cause under arm pain and pain across top of breast. Driving myself mad with worry about this especially as I have bad problems with acid.
    • Posted

Hi I don't know anything about oesophogus, I don't have any pain under my arms, but do get them from my chest up to shoulders, today especially , it's actually quite painful now and touching it makes it worse.  I try not to think the worst.  When the pain is bad I try to calm myself by imagining all the pain seeping out and leaving my body ( it calms me anyway).  When I have severe pain in sternum I can't touch it it's too painful, but haven't had any pain there now for a few days. But when I have touched it mine is at the surface like yours.  You should go back to the doctors.  Have you seen octavia123 posts?  I bought some ibuforen gel and it has helped and have also used heat pads, why don't you try it?  I hope you feel better soon and try not to worry, I know it's easy to say x smile
  • Posted

I'm having exact same issues what did the doctor prescribe for the pain or did the doctor prescribe, it hurts so bad how long did yours last mine been here for about two weeks now. It's getting very annoying. Around Kids all the time seems like I've kept s cold of course coughing it that doesn't help at all. Seems to be getting more intense over the week.

• Posted

I'm going through the same thing! I woke up with my pain one morning. At first, I thought that I probably just slept on my body wrong, and I didn't think anything of it. A couple days later, a cough started. The chest inflammation nor the coughing have gone away. Can the costochondritis CAUSE the coughing? I have a very dry, non-productive cough. I don't have any mucus. Only on occasion will I get a clear mucus, and if I do, it is a very tiny bit. Can the inflammation press up against the airways or something and cause a cough? I don't have any other symptoms. All tests have come back good. I've had a chest x-ray, an EKG, a Spirimetry test, and blood work. The only thing abnormal in my blood work was inflammation, everything else was good. A couple of years ago, I had an endoscopy, and they found that my flap wasn't working too well. So, I'' wondering if this could be GERD coming back with a vengeance.

• Posted

Hi I exactly the same dry not productive tickly cough, which feels sore in the chest area, I have costo and GERD and I think both are acting up at the minute, for me the pain in the centre of the chest after eating is driving me mad but I have upped my esomeprazole and it is slowly calming down.  I cannot take ibuprofen so the costo is being managed with paracetamol which are not that helpful.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.