Could Citalopram cause depression and Anxiety??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My story begins 5 years ago, i was prescribed with 20mg of Citalopram to deal with a non anxiety or depression problem I had. the problem was over after a year but i continued taking it because the withdrawal side effects were horrible.

Finally, 3 months ago i decided to cut it off gradually. I still suffered from the withdrawal symptoms but I pushed through. After a month i was out of it and was feeling fine, normal and happy.

Until a month ago when i was caught by a severe Panic attack. at the time I didn't realized that it was a Panic attack, so I rushed myself to the hospital , there, of course, they implied that its psychosomatic.

Ever since that Panic attack I felt very anxious and depressed, felt like I'm not myself anymore.

My GP told me to go back taking Citalopram.

For the first few weeks on the Citalopram I felt so depressed and anxious, especially in the mornings all thought the day until the evenings.

Now I'm on week 4 on the pill, I feel a bit better but not like myself before that big Panic attack,

I keep on waking up in the mornings feeling anxious and depressed.

I'm afraid that I might screwed something up in my head by taking Citalopram for 5 years and than cutting off and back on again.

How can one Panic attack make me a whole different man in one day?!

I kinda hoped that the Citlopram will fully kick in by now..

I'm feeling really confused 😦

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your time.

I guess I need to soldier on with the med.

I had a couple of good days, but today it seems like I'm washed with anxiety and my mind is bursting with irrational thoughts which make me more anxious.

even though I know its probably because of the Celexa, I just can't seem to stop thinking those irrational thoughts.

Do you have any good tips on how to go through those horrible periods of anxiety waves?

• Posted

aside from cbt practice.ask your doctor for a benzo.

• Posted

Just keep telling yourself that it is temporary, and its just the meds leveling things out, take it day by day. I know its hard sometimes but try to stay busy, find something that you can focus your attention on and get through each day, that is one day closer to the meds doing their job. You will do fine 😃

• Posted

I'm going to a cbt therapy, but it seems that as long as I'm under the "Puppet Master" (Celexa) control, there's little that the psychologist can do, after all, its the pill that makes me feel like that not my thinking patterns, right? but of course, I could be so wrong.

My doctor also prescribed me with xanax. I took it once and it turned me into a zombie and my head was still full of thoughts.

• Posted

Yeah, just need to bite my lips and march forward.

You and lois are godsent.

Thank you guys, I truly appreciate it.

• Posted

for some citalopram strips emotions long term, for others it wears off, unfortunately for me it didnt, my partner said he now has me back d

• Posted

the medicine Enhances your already anxiety.so yes its the celexa.now depending what milligram you took of the xanex would make a zombie difference.

• Posted

the higher the milligram of celexa the more you have the chance of been strip away of your emotions for some.

• Posted

Your therapist can still help you along side the citalopram, they do have many useful techniques to use during the wait for the citalopram to work. The citalopram really isn't doing a puppet master type of work, all it does it lets the serotonin (the thing that helps you with feelings of well being and happiness) to stay around longer before being absorbed. That is where the therapy comes in and teaches you to 're-train' your mind from negative thoughts.

As far as the xanax it is useful maybe the dose was just not right that you took, try taking a 1/2 of one if you're feeling really bad and see if that helps. I always took a low dose as needed for panic attacks or extreme anxiety and never increased, I no longer take it now that the citalopram is working though.

• Posted

The dose for the Xanax was 0.25mg , it made only the physical symptoms of the anxiety go away but not the racing thoughts or the worrying feelings.

As far of Celexa stripping my emotions, if anything it only enhances my emotions. I used to be a "macho man" and now I'm a pile of mashed potatoes, finding myself crying for no reason what so ever.

Even if I'm having a good day, I'll always feel as if something is wrong and different from the way I was prior to that major Panic attack. It's like my mind is in a constant battle between "you'll never gonna be the same" Vs "you gonna overcome this episode". My mind is constantly thinking about my condition, even at work, gym or home, it's sooooo exhausting.

Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself, just anxious to get better already.

Thank you toria and lois once again.

• Posted

You probably right, I only has 3 sessions so far so its too early to notice any effect.

and I will try to take half a dose of Xanax if another anxiety wave will hit me, but generally I try to cope with it. the thing that bugs me the most are the racing thoughts and the sense as if "everything is wrong" that come along with the anxiety wave, those can shatter me.

Thank you again Grounded for your helpful advises.

• Posted

wow for me the xanex made my physical symptoms plus the racing thoughts go away.you are just going thru start ups from the celexa.i was worse than you for 34weeks.at 8months all my drama dissapeared.i had lots of patience.

• Posted

ive had those symptoms for 12 months withdrawing but theyve gotten less recently until accidental updose x

• Posted

Wow 8 months?!

Its so weird that I'm going thru startups, considering I took Celexa for 5 years, day by day and never got anxious nor depressed at any point, I don't even recall a single side effect.

Probably that short withdrawal I did and the Panic attack messed something up.

• Posted

I don't mind being a bit soft but without all that anxiousness...I can't even go out with my friends to eat without being on edge...

• Posted

the second time on ssris seems to be more dramatic for some.more than likely is the withdrawals.you will be ok .trust me you aint going to stay like that forever.take a half of xanex when ever you feel sketchy.best regards

• Posted

I took zoloft in the past for my anxiety, and it did work, but it seemed the second time it took longer ( I took it twice). Now that Im taking celexa it took the longest (my third time on and antidepressant), probably because of all the previous times I had been on them.

My father suffered with the same things that I do, and hes been on zoloft for at least 25+ years now and still doing well. He told me once, that I may have to take this the rest of my life to keep the chemicals balanced and I never listened but this time I am more then happy to keep taking them as long as I need too. They dont interfere with my life in any way and as long as Im functioning and feeling good and not the hell I go through at points where I dont take it, I have no problem staying on it as long as I can.

• Posted

same for me ground.the only difference is this is my first time and last time because iam not coming off them.after reading all the horror stories about withdrawals no mam.and start up dramas.no way jose.

• Posted

You think that I'm still withdrawing from the first time I used it?? even if I'm on it again for more than a month??

BTW, my psychiatrist recommended me today to up the dose to 30mg, but I'm reluctant to do so, it scares me that I need more of the drug now...what do you think?

• Posted

ive been trying to settle on 6mg for 12 months so its very possible x

• Posted

what was the reason doctor put you on celexa the first time ?and because you did not have anxiety or depression why celexa???

• Posted

hello toria hope you are feeling better today.mech pm me so i got my answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.