Could Citalopram cause depression and Anxiety??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My story begins 5 years ago, i was prescribed with 20mg of Citalopram to deal with a non anxiety or depression problem I had. the problem was over after a year but i continued taking it because the withdrawal side effects were horrible.

Finally, 3 months ago i decided to cut it off gradually. I still suffered from the withdrawal symptoms but I pushed through. After a month i was out of it and was feeling fine, normal and happy.

Until a month ago when i was caught by a severe Panic attack. at the time I didn't realized that it was a Panic attack, so I rushed myself to the hospital , there, of course, they implied that its psychosomatic.

Ever since that Panic attack I felt very anxious and depressed, felt like I'm not myself anymore.

My GP told me to go back taking Citalopram.

For the first few weeks on the Citalopram I felt so depressed and anxious, especially in the mornings all thought the day until the evenings.

Now I'm on week 4 on the pill, I feel a bit better but not like myself before that big Panic attack,

I keep on waking up in the mornings feeling anxious and depressed.

I'm afraid that I might screwed something up in my head by taking Citalopram for 5 years and than cutting off and back on again.

How can one Panic attack make me a whole different man in one day?!

I kinda hoped that the Citlopram will fully kick in by now..

I'm feeling really confused 😦

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mech,

What dose are you on. I'm on 10 mg. It took me 8 months to level out with the side effects. I'm on it 16 months and I'll never come off it and I'm staying at 10mg. Lois is fabulous with her advice and she helped me through the rough times. Try to cutdown on carbs caffeine and alcohol. Exercise is important, even just walking. I lost 15lbs and feel great and I run everyday now.

Keep me posted of how you are doing.

Will

• Posted

Hi will, thanks for your concern,

I'm on 20 mg. I'm currently on week 5 and not so good as of today, still feels weird and sketchy, experiencing ups and downs, foggy mind, depression, anxiety and weird thoughts.

8 months sure sounds alot, and it bums me out.

I stopped drinking coffee and alcohol, I exercise 6 days a week and eating healthy.

Yet, still having a rough time. The morning anxiety ricks havoc on my body and mind and couple of days ago I started to feel disconnected and extra anxious.

You said it took you 8 months to level out, but when did you start to feel relatively "normal"?

I can't imagine living like the way I'm feeling now for 8 months.

• Posted

i still think its withdrawal as never known anyone who suffers proper withdrawals not just mild ones getting better after a month x

• Posted

Hi Mech,

My first 3 months were not pretty. I kept a journal so I was able to just review it. I then would get hours of feeling normal and then not good. So I knew the cit was working. Please dont get depressed over that. It's a process for your body to adjust to the med. Those panic attacks I had were horrific. I also went to the hospital 3x. One time i was driving home on a friday from work. I was feeling great all day and in my car. I started feeling weird. I then couldnt figure out how to get home. I eventually did get home and my neighbor rushed me to ER. My BP was 200/100. It was a panic attack.

I had many tests and it was confirmed.

You will get periods of feeling great. Are you sleeping ok? I went 7 days of no sleep.

Crazy! I'm also on xanax as needed. I take it maybe 2 nights a week for sleep. Luckily it works for me. I have a high pressure job which doesnt help. But funny thing is I've always thrived on pressure and I do well under it. Sorry for rambling on.

Keep us posted of how you are and get exercise. Even just walking. Put headphones on and get absorbed with the music or talk radio/podcast.

Will

• Posted

Hi will, thank you for your response.

I'm sleeping ok, I get to bed so exhausted at night that I'm falling fast asleep, but I noticed that all of this time I wake up an hour before I should and immediately get anxious, but I understood it's normal.

I having a really rough week, usually I get a little break at evening times, but this week I haven't. I'm constantly becoming anxious from my own existence, like feeling the world is too big for me to handle, everything is looking weird. I know it sounds weird but it's freaking me out.

I don't know if it's the citalopram messing with my mind or just me obsessed with inserting weird anxieties in my head. lois says it's the med and I incline to agree with her, but I can't know anything for certain.

As far as exercise I'm doing it a lot!! But somehow even that can't suppress those anxious thoughts.

I can't find joy in anything and everything I do seems useless and pointless...

That's without a doubt have been the most awful week since I started the med..

• Posted

mech it is both the med and your thinking.the celexa does magnipfied what ever you are feeling.but that will all subside.

• Posted

I also understand what your going through definitely.

Thanks,!

• Posted

DITTO DITTO DITTO. Lois said it all. It sucks going through it but you will get through it.

Sorry i was consumed with work and traveling. Time changes suck as I myself had a lousy day with headaches. It made me a little freaked since i was in an airport and away from home. The sleep is exactly what I went through and the morning anxiety. If you are a coffee/tea drinker go to decaf. I know its a week but let me know how you are.

Will

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.