Could flu shot be connected to pmr?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just seems odd that this started about a week after getting my flu shot. First trip to express clinic was told reaction to shot and to take tylenol. Second trip to primary care doc after bloodwork said serum sickness and prescribed anti inflammatory. After a week with no relief referred to rheumatologist and more bloodwork and diagnosis of one and put on prednisone that was 4 days ago and still no better. Taking 20 mg pred daily. Will this ever get better?

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

carlene, I don't think so, to the best of my knowledge all the viruses are dead. I have had no reaction to, two flu shots sense having PMR. On the other hand a number of months later I sore throat and head cold, then I terrible flare. What caused PMR in the first place is the question? Thinking positive and smiling. 🙂

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Wish we could find out what causes this to just hit us out of the blue. Have a great day
    • Posted

Thanks carlene, I hope you have a great day also. 🙂 Smiling!

• Posted

Hi Carlene, 

i agree with Michdonn. I have had the flu shot as a precaution about 5 months ago while on 50mg pred and no flu like symptoms then or now. Have managed to avoid it even though my husband coughed and spluttered just a few weeks ago with a cold and chest infection needing anti b’s. Also 2 of my grandies came down with headcolds and despite given them extra “comfort” cuddles, still avoided it. Touch wood. My concern would be if you have no relief from pred, do you actually have PMR? By the time I was diagnosed end of May this year with both PMR and GCA I was in a bad way, not able to move at all, totally dependent on my husband to shower, dress, and care for me, I was in a wheelchair. Within 4 hours of 50mg pred i had improved about 70%, and I’ve moved forward (occasionally backward) ever since. Others will come along shortly with their knowledge as well, that’s just my experience. Good luck, I hope you get some relief shortly, we all know how debilitating this journey is. 

• Posted

Hi

I started with PMR shortly after having my flu jab, that was 4 years ago, general feeling is that it's just coincidence.      It took ages to be diagnosed though and as soon as I started on prednisolone at 15mg within hours I got tremendous relief.   I think the positive reaction to prednisolone is a factor in iPMR diagnosis, so I'm wondering if you've been given the correct diagnosis.   I hope you find relief soon, what are your symptoms? 

• Posted

My symptoms were pain in both shoulders down to the elbows. Can't raise my arms or reach behind me. Very hard to pull my pants up. Can't turn over in bed or lift myself onto my elbows to get out of bed in the morning hard to walk for a couple hours due to extreme pain going down back of my leg. Elevated inflammation according to my bloodwork

• Posted

Certainly sounds like PMR but there are others more knowledgeable than I am who will advise.
    • Posted

On 20 mg of pred. Considering taking 30 just to see if that will work
    • Posted

Hi Michdonn

No I haven't had the shingles vaccine.

Your symptoms relate to  those of PMR, hasn't the prednisolone ever given you some relief ? 

I hope you can get some answers soon it's just horrible to be in so much pain x

• Posted

Just seems to help in the late afternoon and evening then right back around 2 am. Wakes me up and then all over again
    • Posted

PMR tends to feel a little better late afternoon and evening so I have read.  I do not know why this is but I generally feel a little better at those times too.  I think you need a higher dose initially.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I didn't have my first ever flu jab until several months after PMR diagnosis so it has no connection for me. In fact it was only because I have PMR that I was advised to have the jab. 

• Posted

I had a flu shot this year, which I haven't in the past.  All went well.  But I also had a flare shortly afterwards.  I had been struggling a little bit, and being careful, and then things quite suddenly went pearshaped.  I didn't really put two and two together until the annual discussion about PMR and flu shot came up.

No, the flu shot can't give you PMR.  But I know it does affect the immune system, that's the whole point, of course, so I bet there is some impact on how your body reacts and if you're already in a vulnerable state then I think it may indeed trigger a flare.  And for some people it could trigger the first noticeable symptoms of a condition which had hitherto been too mild to be of concern.  Just a theory.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.