Could flu shot be connected to pmr?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just seems odd that this started about a week after getting my flu shot. First trip to express clinic was told reaction to shot and to take tylenol. Second trip to primary care doc after bloodwork said serum sickness and prescribed anti inflammatory. After a week with no relief referred to rheumatologist and more bloodwork and diagnosis of one and put on prednisone that was 4 days ago and still no better. Taking 20 mg pred daily. Will this ever get better?

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think that maybe you may need a higher dose of prednisone but you need to let your Rheumatologist know that this is not working for you as this may not be PMR which usually responds very swiftly to a high dose of Prednisone.  It took ages to diagnose me.  I’m surprised yours was diagnosed so quickly.  I do hope you get to feeling better soon.❤️
    • Posted

Thank you. I was so looking forward to being out of pain by now. Once the prednisone works are you able to get out of bed and get dressed etc? Do you take yours in the morning or evening?
  • Posted

Carlene when I started my pred I felt tons better in a few days.  The euphoria did not last and I now feel very tired a great deal but the pain is pretty well suppressed.  Please talk to your Rheumatica ASAP.  You may not be on enough Pred but it could be something else.
  • Posted

My PMR was most likely caused by the shingles jab.  Consequently, I now won't touch a jab of any kind.  I had to start on 30mg with very high bloods.  No pain in year 2 so things do slowly get better and quality of life does improve.  Take heart.

• Posted

Hi carlene22578

Perhaps you should give it a bit longer to get results. You have only been on them 4 days. Give it a week + ...my pain didn't go for a week or more...my best wishes to you carlene23578..

• Posted

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't get quick relief. How many mg did you start on?

• Posted

Hi carlene22578

I was started in 15mg and i recall it took up to 2 weeks for the pred to kick in...give it a little while longer and if you still have pain speak with your doc or rheumy.....best wishes carlene 22579..

• Posted

Hi Carlene22578

I agree with Lilian to give the Pred a bit longer to work......I was started on 15mg and it was seven days before I got relief. And then I was so energised it was wonderful! I wish id found help from the forum then about tapering etc. Hang in there for a little while and I hope life improves for you soon. 

Best wishes

linda

• Posted

Hi Carlene - I was in a lot of pain, felt like I’d been in a car crash after my normal exercise, and had to winch myself in and out of the car because of the pain in my groin. My response to Pred wasn’t typical. 15mg didn’t work but 25mg did although it took nearly a week to kick in. This was in June and I’m using the slow method to taper - now at 16mg. My GP thought I would react faster and feel great but because of this Forum I persevered and I’m glad I did. I’d certainly chat it through and try a higher dose before giving up. Good luck, we know how you feel!
    • Posted

Thank you. It helps to know I'm not in this alone and that there is hope that this pain may ease soon.

• Posted

Sometimes the flu shot is the final straw that sends the immune system into a tail spin. It is felt to be long term stresses on the immune system that mount up and it stops working properly, being unable to recognised yur body as self and attacking the tissues. This actually applies in all autoimmune disorders and the label you get depends on the symptoms you have - and a little bit to what medications you respond to. In the case of PMR as we talk about it here it is pred, nothing else. But PMR is just the name we give to the set of symptoms - and they can be caused by a range of other illnesses, including inflammatory arthritides. One of the characteristics felt to apply to "just" PMR is the rapid response to a moderate dose of pred - and it doesn't happen in other forms of inflammation.

As has been said - maybe you aren't on quite high enough a dose or need a bit longer. Some people do need a week or more - usually because the dose they are on isn't quite enough. But it needs to be discussed with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.