Could i had pernicious anemia for years

Posted , 4 users are following.

So here is my story, for the past time i sufered from extreme anxiety and panic atacs, ive had cheat pains, neck pains, numbness, insomnia. I am a lot better now but im still anxious and have palpations and increased pulse. The reason i think b12 deficiency is causing my anxiet is because it was increasing as the years pased, i have short term memory problems, poor walking and i get outh of breath easily, i have dents in nails and past year i had frequent mouth ulcera, i also have tremors and muscle twiches all over body. I did b12 serum level and its 305 pmol/l. But i heard thats unreliable. Can anyone tell me their symptoms, im only 18 years old with severe health anxiety..

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hiya gosh 18. ,I don't know to really comment,I'm 70, so age a factor,and I've been taking a tablet for reflux for 25 years, but for the last 5 years I've had most of your symptoms, but put it all down to anxiety caused by the fact I'd had lung cancer,am cured given the all clear 3 days ago. But I think my b12 levels had been dropping since the op, felt like life was sucked out of me, but after severe itching and tingling in my feet june2017,a blood test done and my level was 169, the dr gave me a course of 6 injections, am also on folic tablets,have got 1000mcg of b12 sublingual tabs,to take if I need them.am feeling a lot better, but not 100% yet, takes time to undo the damage this Defficiecy causes.

Have you been to your Dr ?? Are you self diagnosing ??

I'm sure that Clive on this forum will explain things a lot better than me , he answered a lot of my questions.good luck and hope you get the right help soon.

• Posted

Hi Branislav,

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient.  However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.

Can you "see yourself" in any of the above people? 

Does your every day diet include plenty of meat, or fish, seafood, poultry, eggs, and other dairy produce such as milk and cheese?  You also need to eat plenty of leafy green vegetable for Folate to go with the animal products.

If your B12 serum test result at 305 pmol/l. is to be believed although you don't show the range <from - to> it would seem sufficiently high so there may be other causes for your symptoms such as Vitamin D deficiency or thyroid problems which should be checked out by a doctor.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.