Could it be Crohns?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all. I'll start off with some history.

Indigestion/heartburn since 1990s. Prescribed Lanzoprasole (15mg) since mid 90s.

1998 - endscopy / nothing found.

Rectal bleeding early 2000s, sporadic through until now.

Minimal, Dr's said Piles. Jan 2013, Colonscopy. No diagnosis.

May 2016 - told was severely anemic (8.0) hg.

May 2016 - endoscopy and Colonscopy - No diagnosis, no piles.

Biopsy taken and suggested capsule endoscopy in coming month(s)

Initially I was delighted, after finding nothing wrong, but then the realision that the root cause of the anemia has not been indentified. I keep thinking the worst (Cancer of small intestine). I appreciate the capsule endoscopy will indentify, but wondered if this could be Crohns in the small intestine.

Reducing sugar and yeast seemed to halt the bleeding The consultant seemed to think that the anemia is not from the rectal bleeding, but bleeding inside, but the rectal bleeding has been quite significant in some instances.

appreciate any thoughts or input.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris, you have been through the wars. I think it could be crohns, I suggest to get a second opinion . Let  me know how things go.
    • Posted

thanks Stephaney, appreciate the quick response. I get the results from the biopsies on 14th June, then the possibility of a capsule camera endoscopy. I always think the worst sad
  • Posted

Is it fresh blood? red or brown. It can be haemoroid.
    • Posted

no haemoroids found. Colour is bright red, which suggests further down but colonscopy found nothing. Consultant thinks Anemia root cause from this is unlikely, and it's a gradual bleed.

Strange thing is, where is the bright red bleeding coming from, if nothing picked up, on 2 seperate colonscopies.

thanks to all for their replies too.

• Posted

I had endoscopy and colonoscopy last year with nothing showing. Had capsule endoscopy and that was the only way they found I had crohns at the end if my small intestine. I would have capsule endoscopy and wait and see what they find before thinking the worst. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Bella, did they also do a barium meal to look at your small intestine or is capsule endoscopy more convenient/accurate? What does capsule endoscopy involve exactly?I have been under gastro for several problems for nearly 4yrs & never had my small intestine looked at amongst all the procedures last few years, but have all the symptoms of crohns. thankyou xx
    • Posted

Had barium meal. Total waste if time as it showed nothing and tasted vile!!! Capsule endoscopy much better as a camera films the whole of your insides from beginning to end. It's much more pleasant too. They have you swallow a camera with a light on the end. It looks huge but it is easier to swallow than you would think. They then hook you to a computer in a little bag which you wear across your shoulder for the next 8 hours. You don't have to stay in hospital while this is happening as they need you to do normal day to day things. After the time is up they take off the computer on the bag, check it has recorded properly and then they tell you that there will be a letter in the post in the next 6 weeks and that it all there is to it. You will pass the camera anytime within a fer hours to a few days after down the toilet and it flushes away easily. This was the only way they found anything wrong so would strongly advise having it. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Bella, were you also anemic, and did you have any external blood loss? Sorry for the personal q's! nay answers appreciated as always.
    • Posted

Many thanks for the info & advice Bella. xx
    • Posted

Hi Bella. Sorry to bother you again. Can you remember when you were diagnosed with crohns if your faecal calprotectin test came out high? My bloods have come back within normal limits, but my faecal calprotectin stool test came back abnormal (active intestinal inflammation) at a reading of 280 (i can only find on internet that normal range is under 50). So am waiting to hear back from my gastro consultant what to do next. I was diagnosed with colitis in nov 2012, & am on balsalazide at present, but this current flare is different - pain in colon area plus small bowel area this time(has only been pain in colon previously), & i have not had any visible blood, so am now wondering if i have crohns, not uc, or a mixture of the 2 conditions. Any comment, advice, experience welcomed as you probably know how long hospitals take to get back to you.....thankyou. xx
  • Posted

Hi Chris, sorry to hear you've been having some problems. Before I finally got my diagnosis many years ago, I like you was a medical mystery! Every test I had done showed nothing but I was still having pain and weight loss. The test that finally found my crohns was (not sure if there's a medical name for it) where they take blood, add dye then inject it back in. The dyed cells go to site of infection etc . I had a series of scans throughout the same day to see where it showed up. Bingo!!!...right between my small and large intestine... the bit the camera up or down don't quite reach! I'm sure you'll get some answers eventually. The capsule thing sounds like it might just do the trick... although I hope it's small if you've got to swallow it! I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress too much... and don't be fobbed off... you need answers! Take care, would like an update of how you get on x
    • Posted

thanks very much Glojo, interesting to hear other people's experiences!

Really appreciate it and will definately update.

take care.

• Posted

Hi Glojo... small update, I went back to the consultant and his words were.. you are a man of mystery! he said that from the upper endoscopy, they got to part of the upper portion of the small intestine, but there's about another 20 feet to go. By my reckoning, that could mean the same place as yours, ie further down the small intestine towards the large bowel, but unreachable from the bum (;

Next step is a CT scan, as a pre check prior to a pillcam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.