Could it be Crohns?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all. I'll start off with some history.

Indigestion/heartburn since 1990s. Prescribed Lanzoprasole (15mg) since mid 90s.

1998 - endscopy / nothing found.

Rectal bleeding early 2000s, sporadic through until now.

Minimal, Dr's said Piles. Jan 2013, Colonscopy. No diagnosis.

May 2016 - told was severely anemic (8.0) hg.

May 2016 - endoscopy and Colonscopy - No diagnosis, no piles.

Biopsy taken and suggested capsule endoscopy in coming month(s)

Initially I was delighted, after finding nothing wrong, but then the realision that the root cause of the anemia has not been indentified. I keep thinking the worst (Cancer of small intestine). I appreciate the capsule endoscopy will indentify, but wondered if this could be Crohns in the small intestine.

Reducing sugar and yeast seemed to halt the bleeding The consultant seemed to think that the anemia is not from the rectal bleeding, but bleeding inside, but the rectal bleeding has been quite significant in some instances.

appreciate any thoughts or input.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't worry about the capsule endoscopy, it is easy, I've had a few. You take bowel prep before hand and then swallow the capsule, a tiny camera, at the hospital the next day, get hooked up with a small box that you wear, so that they can download the images later. It is a good test. You also take a dummy one a few days before to check that you don't have any strictures where it could get stuck. This one dissolves eventually. It is not painful. Hope it all goes well.

• Posted

thanks Dulcie.. I'm not worried about the capsule itself, more of what it will reveal, although the consultant said that cancer in the small intestine is rare.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.