Could it be Crohns?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I have been to the doctor so many times with my problems .. I'd like advice before I make another trip.

I am 27 years old, I am a very healthy eater and I exercise often (running, yoga). However, I have been experience irritable bowel symptoms for approx 6 years (foul gas, severe abdominal pain, upset stomach, loose stools).

When it first started in college I was experiencing a frequent upset stomach and brain fog, I tried cutting out dairy, gluten, tried food journals.. had some blood tests done, no luck.

Couple years later things got worse and I started experiencing more frequent diarrhea/loose stools.. had my stool tested, doctor suggested I try probiotics, did an endoscopy looking for signs of celiac, no luck. 

Last summer I worked with a dietitian and naturopath and tried supplements and the FODMAP diet, I was very strict for 8 weeks, and had little to no change. I developed insomnia during this time, not sure if it was related, but it was very stressful. And all the doctor suggested was antidepressants. I finally gave in and started them in October, and surprise surprise, no change.

I am always fatigued, my immune system sucks, I have recently been working with a cardiologist because I have constant racing heart/heart palpitations. And whenever my stool is solid I get anal fissures - I have had one for the past couple months that just wont heal.

Any advice is appreciated, I feel like I am going crazy. Thank you.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry you are so ill! You are doing everything you can! Glad you are getting the colonoscopy. You will find answers, hopefully. All the best, hang in there!!
  • Posted

I have something similar for past 7 months, I found that focusing on it actually worsens it, because of the anxiety it generates.

For me, anxiety, stress and fear, are triggers and worsen the condition. If I manage to go by with the symptoms without worrying much, then eventually things get mild (even if they do not disappear fully)

You can test for calprotectin,  blood in stools, and anemia(iron ferritin) by yourself. Those tests are critical. Also you can test if you are celiac, but it would only work if you haven´t stopped gluten already. I found an improvement even if my test was negative beforehand. Another important test is B12 and D. You can take oral sprays for these, I found them to really work to increase my levels to good range. I haven´t done colonoscopy and endoscopy, but I plan for it. Colonoscopy does not allow for observing small bowell, for that you need a pill can test, which is more modern but expensive.

• Posted

Interestingly initially I had a mild positive when testing for calprotectin some 2-3 months ago. The last test in February showed up with negative for calprotectin but the upper quadrant left pain persists. But my bowells are finally working regularly again (I was having constipation). This might just amount to borderline IBD. 
    • Posted

Thanks Silva, and sorry to hear you are suffering as well. I try my best to manage anxiety, I practice yoga and meditation everday.. it's just 6 years of ups and downs with no answers is starting to push my edge a bit, but I'm currently feeling a bit better since I made this post. I have been tested for celiac and yes I was eating gluten at the time, and I've had the endoscopy. I am also taking Vitamin D and B12 supplements. I just saw my doctor this week, waiting for the refferall call from the gastroentologist now.

A tip I can provide to you in this time, ginger kombucha, I also find at times it helps me.

• Posted

Will try to he Kombuche, thanks!

Our latest update suggests something neurological causing my pain in LUQ near the spleen. Ultrasound showed all good. Will do a colonoscopy later this year. Things already got better gutwise after removing gluten, dairy, peanuts, and following mostly Fodmap. But pain persists.

• Posted

Hi Everyone, I just thought I would share this with all you lovely people who tried to help me and encouraged me to keep trying.

I saw a Functional Medicine practitioner recently who did some tests and it turns out I have a parasite and bacteria infection. They believe this is the cause of my digestion, anxiety and sleep issues.

YAY for answers and here's hoping the treatment plan works and I am feeling better soon!

• Posted

Please follow this up with a medical doctor or gi with appropriate testing and treatment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.